What's new

Black IcE

Student
Reaction score
I have been looking around to see if any language patches exist for PGM2 games like the few I have seen in the PGM conversion thread for PGM1 games. So far no luck. I have Knights of Valor 2 New Legends in Chinese, and it would be pretty darn cool to play it in English. Any help or information would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I don't think PGM2 language patches exists.
in theory, it is possible to develop such patches for games, but not for Knights of Valor 3 I think.

at practice, I'd guess it might be hard to find game program ROM replacement/equivalent. usually they are 8Mbyte in size.

i need to open the cart case to see what type of program rom it is. I have some 8meg flash chips. I know some PGM1 games can not be patched due to ways that the ASIC is used. I am not sure if the same applies to the PGM2.

you may try to. iirc program ROM is socketed DIP-48 chip.
of course patching is not near simple, there needed to decrypt rom, find there routine which does region read from IGS036 internal firmware, patch it/them, encrypt rom, fix checksum.

at this point PGM2 encryption tool is not exists (only decryption is in MAME sources), also each game uses different checksum algorithm, which makes it even more PITA...

Does each region of the same game use a different encryption key? you can't just swap the program ROM like on other games?

I thought the issue on PGM1 was that the ASIC overwrote the region flag in the program ROM, is that also the case on PGM2?

Does each region of the same game use a different encryption key? you can't just swap the program ROM like on other games?
different region games/PCBs is exact same, except for region byte in internal IGS036 CPU/SoC firmware.
normally, when game initialized and running code from external program ROM it does calls to subroutine in internal firmware, which read and return region byte.
so, this can be found and patched in theory, but as was said earlier - checksum protection (calculated and verified by internal firmware) and encryption makes this quite complicated.

Well I got a English one from igs. I have the other languages too. My guess is it's just a socketed chip. Dont know. I know the software version can be programmed, I had a guy I'm china program all the revisions for me. Btw better be version 3.02. for saving as earlier version only save character level
Not all the extra stuff works weapons pets etc.
What I do know is if you get an English one you have to get the north America save cards. Impossible to find. I was smart and ordered 60 with the game. If you need some I'll let some go.

Attachments

• IMG_159343618692F.jpg
    IMG_159343618692F.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 214
Last edited:
Well I got a English one from igs. I have the other languages too. My guess is it's just a socketed chip. Dont know. I know the software version can be programmed, I had a guy I'm china program all the revisions for me. Btw better be version 3.02. for saving as earlier version only save character level
What I do know is if you get an English one you have to get the north America save cards. Impossible to find. I was smart and ordered 60 with the game. If you need some I'll let some go.
I haven't started playing the game yet, so not sure what I have, but I would be interested in a save card, didn't know I needed one.

Well, do I need one? Or more than one?

Which pgm2 game do you have in english? I have Oriental Legends 2 and Knights of Valor 2 New Legend, both china version.. would LOVE to play these in english! :D

The PGM 2 has 1 DIP rom in the cart. I presume it the Program rom... so it Could be swapped... BUT the rest of the chips are TSOP and hard to replace / re-solder.

I'd be interested to see any USA / English roms for PGM2's.

PGM1's Translations are just the USA/English program roms... Not hand written translations.... I'm building a database of the roms you would need as we speak... they will be on my web site, so everyone can have them. Or for a few $ i can burn a eprom aswell...

T.

I'd be interested to see any USA / English roms for PGM2's.
isn't it was clearly said ~2years ago:
different region games/PCBs is exact same, except for region byte in internal IGS036 CPU/SoC firmware.
e.g. back in the days, when we was working on PGM2 reverse engineering & emulation, was bought and dumped Japan and "Overseas" versions of games, and was confirmed they use exact same game program and data ROMs.

What I do know is if you get an English one you have to get the north America save cards. Impossible to find.
agree, it is impossible to find English Oriental Legend 2 cards, because they doesn't exists. English/Overseas version not use nor supports cards.

Reactions: nem
ah, it is KOV2NL cards (photo is so blurry and unreadable), then yes, there is some chances English cards may exists, at least game supports them, however I'm personally have some doubts about such cards was really manufactured.

Your crazy man. I got these and the software from igs . I got like 60 of them of course there real North American kov2nl cards

Your crazy man. I got these and the software from igs . I got like 60 of them of course there real North American kov2nl cards
KoV2NL English version definitely has/had cards.

Oriental Legend 2 English does not and would not use them. The extra characters in that game are unlocked after you beat the game.

Which pgm2 game do you have in english? I have Oriental Legends 2 and Knights of Valor 2 New Legend, both china version.. would LOVE to play these in english! :D
Same.
Besides finding the carts in English, can they be patched or not?

Back