What's new

reclaimer

Professional
Reaction score
Anyone replace a Vewlix speaker before?

Snagged a Vewlix Diamond, and everything is looking good... except one speaker is busted, and since Vewlix speakers are wired in series it means I have no audio on the whole right side now. (I’ve diagnosed down to the speaker, it’s not any of the wiring or the audio amp. Somewhere inside the speaker the two wires aren’t linking up anymore)

So, I need some replacements.

Looks like it’s 4 ohm car speaker, but none of the 3.5” car speakers I’ve tested fit under the Vewlix grill even though the mounting holes fit.

Any help is appreciated!

You need a 4ohm 10w 77mm speaker. Let me see if I can get you a link, I looked into replacing them a while back. But it should be easy enough to get a replacement I think. If you do change one, I would change them all. I suggest you get a few speakers and test them out to see what you you like.

Maybe reach out to Taito and find out how much new speakers cost and replace the all if they are not expensive..try to keep everything original.

Maybe reach out to Taito and find out how much new speakers cost and replace the all if they are not expensive..try to keep everything original.
They dont have replacements, atleast not recently, they did have the flat tweeters/speakers for the FC though.

I wouldn't buy anything from Taito anyway, their markup is laughable.
True their markup on parts is insane, but if you take into account what they charged for these cabs back in the day its kinda justified. With that said its nice to see that their Diamond Black cabs sell brand new for around what $3K in Japan.

Anyone replace a Vewlix speaker before?

Snagged a Vewlix Diamond, and everything is looking good... except one speaker is busted, and since Vewlix speakers are wired in series it means I have no audio on the whole right side now. (I’ve diagnosed down to the speaker, it’s not any of the wiring or the audio amp. Somewhere inside the speaker the two wires aren’t linking up anymore)

So, I need some replacements.

Looks like it’s 4 ohm car speaker, but none of the 3.5” car speakers I’ve tested fit under the Vewlix grill even though the mounting holes fit.

Any help is appreciated!
Also, dont forget to get shielded speakers if you can, I forget if the ones in the vewlix are shielded.

Last edited:
Thanks guys! That’s a ton of help. You rock.

I got a cheap 3” speaker on order, which I have high hopes will solve the issue!

Next order from Taito, I’ll likely throw an OEM speaker in the box too. As long as I’m paying an arm and a leg for shipping and handling, I might as well grab an overpriced underperforming speaker too ;)

Update:

I ordered a few 3” speakers to test... and none of them fit the mounting holes. They are too small.. 1/2” too small. :)

So, it’s indeed a 3.5” speaker as I originally suspected. Because it seems car speakers are too thick to fit under the grill, I’m just going to give up on this one and buy a replacement from Taito. Solved. :)

Reach out to KC to see if he has used ones for sale or his contacts in japan can get you used ones before paying the amount that Taito is going to demand for them if they have them in stock.

Already did, no luck. Thanks though!

I’m gonna grab a few extras if someone needs one in the future.

Already did, no luck. Thanks though!

I’m gonna grab a few extras if someone needs one in the future.
Hey, do me a favor, measure the speaker screw mounting hole pattern, left/right, up/down, center of screw hole to center of screw hole. Also the diameter of the speaker mounting cutout/hole.

Found a winner! Dayton Audio PC83-4 3" Full-Range Poly Cone Driver

The dimensions are almost exactly that of the original Taito speaker. Importantly, the mounting frame is exactly the same.

Parts Express Link here:
https://www.parts-express.com/dayton-audio-pc83-4-3-full-range-poly-cone-driver--295-154

Specs here:
https://www.parts-express.com/pedocs/specs/295-154--dayton-audio-pc83-4-specifications.pdf
Awesome man, I m glad they worked out, those were the ones I was looking to get as replacements as well.

Are you going to use the stock taito amp, or are you going to upgrade it?

I'm using the stock Taito amp right now, and I've added a small powered subwoofer in there too. The volume from the Dayton 3" speaker is nearly the same as the OEM Taito one, so I think it's all good as far as power is concerned.

No, just the one for now.

You have to pull the whole speaker box to do it the first time, you can't just remove the grill from the front, so it's more of a pain than you might be expecting. Plus, I don't think the new speaker sounds any better, it's pretty much the same.

There are extra grill retaining screws INSIDE the box. When I installed the new speaker, I just left those un-attached and threw em in a bag in the coin box. They really aren't needed.

(Also of note... Taito does not stock the regular Vewlix speakers anymore, so that path is a dead end for replacements)

Yup, they only have or had the top ones, the flat/square tweeter/speakers that come on the FC cabs, not sure if any other cab uses those.

I dont expect them to sound much better, not until you feed it with a better amp/better signal/in a proper box :) , but you should replace all 4, hook them up to a bit better amp and run them through a break in period. LOL, im going audiophile geek on these.

Back