What's new

Sjlewis78

Student
Reaction score
I have a Nanao 2930 in on one of my Blast Cities. After the monitor warms up for 5-10 minutes in 15khz, it appears that the vertical lines start getting all squiggly. I am not sure how to describe it, so pictures of the test pattern below. I tried in 31khz and dont seem to get the issue. Never owned a tri-sync display before, so not really familiar with this chassis, but have repaired dozens of them and never really seen symptoms like this before.

monitor test 2.jpg

Attachments

• Monitor test 1.png
    Monitor test 1.png
    767.1 KB · Views: 240
Hard to narrow this down, have you tried different 15K games or does this happen with any 15k game?

If its happening on all 15k, you might have a bad filter cap on the output of the vertical oscillator circuit, bad VR, or an overheating IC on the vertical oscillator.

Not too familiar with this specific Nanao, so using basic theory and experience here.

Thanks for the reply, those suggestions are helpful. The images are from 2 separate boards showing the same symptoms, so it seems to be consistent. I'll be pulling the monitor out when I get the cap kit in the mail, probably just recap the entire thing while its out.

Unfortunately, I was unable to find a schematic for the chassis, doesn't appear that one exists.

Checking out the vertical section of the chassis. This certainly could be part of the problem.

Attachments

• IMG_20180822_222228-1518x2024.jpg
    IMG_20180822_222228-1518x2024.jpg
    535.4 KB · Views: 206
Try and fix those cold solder joints by applying new solder. If that doesn't fix it, i wouldn't mess with it tbh unless you really know what you're doing. That model is getting harder and harder to find and very few people will even attempt to repair it. If you break it, you're pretty much SOL. You aint gonna find a replacement.

Try and fix those cold solder joints by applying new solder. If that doesn't fix it, i wouldn't mess with it tbh unless you really know what you're doing. That model is getting harder and harder to find and very few people will even attempt to repair it. If you break it, you're pretty much SOL. You aint gonna find a replacement.
Yeah that's the plan. I'd hate to make it worse!

Back