What's new

KinG_SoPa

Grand Master
Reaction score
Hello everyone,

I am new to the arcade building world and also new to this lovely Forum. So.. i have a few questions that might seem dumb to you pro haha.

I recently purchased a CPS2 darksoft complete unit (yeeeyyy) but im still new to the whole connection of it and im going to build my own Cabinet for it. I know i need a JAMMA HARNESS and a KICK HARNESS to wire up to controllers and video and sound etc etc... and i was wondering what are the new cool stuff on the market to make this happen.

1. Which jamma harness is good
2. Which kick harness is good
3. What do i need to buy to make the CPS2 dark soft play on a 27” or 32” LCD
4. What audio adaptor i need to buy to get sound.
5. Which power supply is good.

Im trying to build a modern cps2 cabinet with all the latest stuff. And also ima buy the sanwa JLF joysticks.

Welcome Bostonian!
There are a lot of ways to get your project done, and part of the fun is searching around (especially here) to see how other folks attack the hobby. For example: DIY UD-CPS2 Kit

Anyway if you're still stuck after some browsing I'm happy to toss you some leads on how you could get it done.

Welcome! based on your question maybe a good solution is to build your cab around a HAS and an OSSC.
Thankss for the reply, can i get more information about this HAS and OSSC , where i can buy it and whats it for.

Welcome Bostonian!
There are a lot of ways to get your project done, and part of the fun is searching around (especially here) to see how other folks attack the hobby. For example: DIY UD-CPS2 Kit
Anyway if you're still stuck after some browsing I'm happy to toss you some leads on how you could get it done.
thanks sooo much i will read on all this and get back to you, this is the first forum i ever registered for so you know im very interested in this cps2 stuff :)

Supergun + scaler is one way to handle the inputs and outputs. Basically no jamma harness, which is fine since you need to scale the image anyway.

Ossc is probably best video scalar out there: https://www.videogameperfection.com/products/open-source-converter/

And that link I sent earlier uses a scaler by the same developer

HAS is a very popular supergun. Made in small batches and has a long line... Home Arcade System - new supergun sets

Sentinel looks promising as well:
Sentinel Supergun - Prototype

You'll need to wire your cab's joysticks + buttons into those superguns, if you go that route. Then you'd get an arcade psu like a Happ 110w or 130w. Stereo RCA from the CPS2 gives you line level audio.. up to you to get it to speakers with amplification.

Since you are a self-proclaimed noob, my advice is to buy a cheap, regular arcade cabinet because CPS2 was never meant to display on LCD. Then you don't need to worry about any of this. Just plug it in and play.

Give Bob Robert's arcade site a look: http://www.therealbobroberts.net/helppage.html

There is a lot of information for noobs on how to wire Jamma, Power, best-practices, etc.. for you to refer to.

It's still a good reference source for people who have been doing this stuff for a long time too! I suggest spending as much time going over this material as you can. Bob Roberts is a legend in the arcade scene, and the help he's given to the community has been a blessing.

Last edited:
Supergun + scaler is one way to handle the inputs and outputs. Basically no jamma harness, which is fine since you need to scale the image anyway.

Ossc is probably best video scalar out there: https://www.videogameperfection.com/products/open-source-converter/

And that link I sent earlier uses a scaler by the same developer

HAS is a very popular supergun. Made in small batches and has a long line... Home Arcade System - new supergun sets

Sentinel looks promising as well:
Sentinel Supergun - Prototype

You'll need to wire your cab's joysticks + buttons into those superguns, if you go that route. Then you'd get an arcade psu like a Happ 110w or 130w. Stereo RCA from the CPS2 gives you line level audio.. up to you to get it to speakers with amplification.
Thanks!! For all this info. I been reading so much on this CPS2 setups that my brain hurt :thumbsup: Definitely wanna try the HAS looks good, but marqs HDMI straight to the Aboard looks very very interesting , i will keep reading and see what my final approach will be, and i will definitely let you know what i end up going with , thanks so much, and i see you are located in Boston as well lol

Since you are a self-proclaimed noob, my advice is to buy a cheap, regular arcade cabinet because CPS2 was never meant to display on LCD. Then you don't need to worry about any of this. Just plug it in and play.
yea i can go the easy route but then i wont learn anything and wont be as cool as you guys with all the cool mods :evil:

Give Bob Robert's arcade site a look: http://www.therealbobroberts.net/helppage.html

There is a lot of information for noobs on how to wire Jamma, Power, best-practices, etc.. for you to refer to.

It's still a good reference source for people who have been doing this stuff for a long time too! I suggest spending as much time going over this material as you can. Bob Roberts is a legend in the arcade scene, and the help he's given to the community has been a blessing.
wow this is such great information!! Thanks so much :thumbsup: Bob roberts definitely have my respects :thumbup:

yea i can go the easy route but then i wont learn anything and wont be as cool as you guys with all the cool mods :evil:
Not accurate. I learned everything I know buying classic arcade cabinets, seeing how they work, and repairing them. Going straight to DIY is cart before the horse IMO. And probably no one here will actively support any pre-VGA arcade games on LCD.

Agreed. I made several different attempts at Mame cabinets or building my own cabinet from scratch over the last fifteen years or so - and failed/gave up every time. It was only 3ish years ago when I started buying fully working cabinets and moving them from "Working" to "Working well" that I've started learning anything (and even that's not that much yet)

Agreed. I made several different attempts at Mame cabinets or building my own cabinet from scratch over the last fifteen years or so - and failed/gave up every time. It was only 3ish years ago when I started buying fully working cabinets and moving them from "Working" to "Working well" that I've started learning anything (and even that's not that much yet)
thanks for the advice, im the type of person that likes to build stuff from scratch to call my own, but you might be right i still have not received my dark soft cps2, so ima keep reading and learning then ill see what route ill take. But im very greatful for all the advice you guys been giving me. This form Is awesome. :thumbsup:

1. Buy a HAS
  2. Get the CPS2 kick harness with the HAS
  3. OSSC
  4. None (CPS2 provides RCA audio out, or you can take it from the JAMMA edge/HAS 3.5mm jack)
  5. I like/use a Suzo Happ 130watt PowerPro (can do -5v, not needed for Japan PCBs but Midway and early JAMMA)

1. Buy a HAS
  2. Get the CPS2 kick harness with the HAS
  3. OSSC
  4. None (CPS2 provides RCA audio out, or you can take it from the JAMMA edge/HAS 3.5mm jack)
  5. I like/use a Suzo Happ 130watt PowerPro (can do -5v, not needed for Japan PCBs but Midway and early JAMMA)
Thanks for the reply friend. I PM RBG to see when the next batch would be available of the HAS im very interested in it. But one thing im confused about the HAS is can i connect samwa joysticks and buttons on to it? Because i see that the controller ports are for a special wire so you can connect USB joysticks or connect a sega controller etc etc... I ask this because i wanna make a cabinet not play on my living room tv.

can i connect samwa joysticks and buttons on to it
you can, if you want to only have the ability to plug your control system into the HAS then you'd just run wires from the buttons to a db15 connector, then screw that into the HAS. Another method would be to wire the buttons into some kind of custom i/o box/pcb/breadboard, of which db15 is an output option.

As @ekorz said above, HAS uses the "normal" supergun pinout on its two DB15 ports...
db15_laugh.PNG

So you can connect whatever joystick/parts you want really.
The USB encoders/decoders you are talking about don't come as standard equipment.

So, many people already own fightstick that's made to work with xbox/ps4/etc. internally those are analog buttons being encoded to usb. Those folks need to decode back down to analog when using those sticks with a HAS. So if you are just starting with normal buttons and joysticks, analog signals, there's no need to encode/decode at all -- you just run the wiring directly to the HAS.

Back