brizzo

Staff member
Champion
Reaction score
New Product Announcement!

SYS2X6 USB Dongle
sys2x6_dongle_main.jpg

What does it do?
This device allows you to backup, verify, and write System 246/256 dongle data images.

sys2x6_dongle_booted.jpg

Hardware
Supply is limited as each unit is assembled from a donor System 246/256 dongle, re-using several internal parts and the plastic shell.

sys2x6_dongle_inside.jpg

Software
Windows is the only supported operating system at this time. SYS2X6 USB Dongle is designed to allow the end user to apply firmware updates via USB for bug fixes and feature improvements. Software is designed to be as simple as possible: select your file and press a button.

sys2x6_usb_prog1.jpg

NAND Management
SYS2X6 USB Dongle stores image on NAND flash memory. By design NAND can have ‘bad blocks’ from the factory, which are sections of memory that cannot be used. The first block in memory has a table listing the known bad blocks to allow the host system to know not to use or access those regions. When programming a new image to the SYS2X6 USB Dongle the host software checks the bad block list and automatically updates the image to reassign data from bad block regions into unused good blocks.

sys2x6_usb_prog2.jpg

USB Connection
Connector type is USB Micro-B, compatible with standard cable. SYS2X6 USB Dongle is designed to allow power from System 246/256 and/or host system at the same time. (ie; device can be installed into 246/256 while connected to a PC or RaspberryPi, no need to disconnect usb cable). The slot for the USB port is cut on a CNC router.

sys2x6_dongle_shell.jpg

CD/DVD/HDD for Games
As usual when switching games on System 246/256, you will be required to swap CD/DVD/HDD to the appropriate media for each game.

Pricing / Availability
SYS2X6 USB Dongles have been sent to select testers to ensure quality and give feedback.

Purchase Price is $200 USD + Tracked Shipping w/Signature ($12 to USA, will provide shipping cost for international destinations)

Ordering / Shipping

May 15 2022 -- SYS2X6 USB Dongles are in stock and ready to ship. Send me a message and I will get your order prepared!
:)

Payments

Payments will be made via PayPal. I will contact users from the interest list as we get closer to Sept 15, arranging shipping information and collect payment at that time.

Questions ??
Of course you guys are going to have all kinds of questions! Fire away! Will edit this post later and add important points here for reference.

Erase/Programming Time: Approx 41 seconds
Question: How many writes do we get with the NAND Flash RAM over the life of this product? (acblunden2)

There are several brands of NAND flash memory found in these dongles; but manufacturer datasheets rate the endurance between 100,000 and 1,000,000 erase/write cycles.

As I mentioned bad blocks above, often they are only found as a defect of the chip manufacturing process. It is possible the NAND may develop bad blocks in the future, but the software does proper error detection and reporting if an issue is detected during erase or write cycles.

Last edited:
In in in in in!!

It would be good to compile all the info on all the games (and I may pull some of this together if I get some time). I know most of it is out there in various threads, some even on this forum, but if people are (finally!!!) getting a multi solution for 246/256, this thread should also consolidate that info, e.g.

-which games function with which i/o's
-which games need hdd vs dvd
-how to extract and load those media from a chd
-some roll-up of actual chds and dongle files

EDIT: that info is all here now -- SYS2X6 USB Dongle Rollup Pack

Last edited:
This is amazing!!! Sign me up for 1 please.
Thank you so much for this

I'm gonna say In. Just based on Tekken alone I think I want this.

Off to find another motherboard...

It would be good to compile all the info on all the games (and I may pull some of this together if I get some time). I know most of it is out there in various threads, some even on this forum, but if people are (finally!!!) getting a multi solution for 246/256, this thread should also consolidate that info, e.g.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1dfcSdrFtJ5mKlW6LQPsePipwkmHLgxS-JqUXSbiT59w/edit#gid=1

I don't know who made this doc, but it has most games and specific details -- but we should get it refined down

There will hopefully be more undumped media and dongles coming in the near future as well :D

@brizzo Why are you playing with my feelings bro?!? Why you no add me to the list? You know I need 1kit , unless you already shipped mine, so then we good :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Very nice Brizzo!

Maybe I'll pick up one in the 2nd batch, not sure yet as I have the games I actually play already original;
- Gundam vs Gundam Next
- Super Dragonball Z
- Tekken 5DR

Any suggestion on MUST play games on the 256?

Last edited:
+1 for the October batch (too many other personal projects ahead of this one). Love it!

Question: How many writes do we get with the NAND Flash RAM over the life of this product?

Question: How many writes do we get with the NAND Flash RAM over the life of this product?
There are several brands of NAND flash memory found in these dongles; but manufacturer datasheets rate the endurance between 100,000 and 1,000,000 erase/write cycles.

As I mentioned bad blocks above, often they are only found as a defect of the chip manufacturing process. It is possible the NAND may develop bad blocks in the future, but the software does proper error detection and reporting if an issue is detected during erase or write cycles.

Good question :thumbsup:

Back