What's new
I've been working on trying to convert a PROG BK1 and CHA 256 to Money Puzzle Exchanger.

Since the CHA256 board was barely documented, and I was having some graphics and sound issues I spent some time with a multimeter and figured out what all the jumpers are for. here are the results:

If using 27c010 for M1
J2, J3 - jumped
J1, J4 - open

If using 27c301 for M1
J1, J4 - jumped
J2, J3 - open

If the Largest C-ROM is a 27c322
J9, J10 - jumped
J5, J6, J7, J8 - open

If the Largest C-ROM is a 27c160
J7, J8 - jumped
J5, J6, J9, J10 - open

If the Largest C-ROM is a 27c800
J5, J6 - jumped
J7, J8, J9, J10 - open

If C1 and C2 are 27C322
J11 - jumped
R1 - open
...if smaller do the opposite
...if empty both can be open

If C3 and C4 are 27C322
J12 - jumped
R2 - open

If C5 and C6 are 27C322
J13 - jumped
R3 - open

If C7 and C8 are 27C322
J14 - jumped
R4 - open

Based on other conversions I originally had J11 and R2 jumped but I swapped it to R1 and R2 after I figured out their function since I'm using a 160 for C1/C2 and a 800 for C3/C4 and now my graphics are perfect. arguably you could set the jumpers for 322 across the board and just condense all of the C-ROMs to 322s. I thought for sure some of those jumpers were for the S1 ROM but none of them touch it.

I still have problems with the music but at least I'm confident that the jumpers on the CHA board are 100% correct now.

The PROG BK1 is pretty well documented on the ngdev wiki but there are 4 or 5 jumpers near the bottom that I don't think are covered. so either that is related to my sound issue, or maybe I have a bad burn or cold solder joint on one of my chips.

If anyone has a Bootleg or Conversion Money Puzzle I'd love to see pictures of the PCB.
The MVS scans for MPE can be found here, and shows all the proper jumper settings.

https://www.mvs-scans.com/index.php/Money_Puzzle_Exchanger

The MVS scans for MPE can be found here, and shows all the proper jumper settings
I'm well aware of MVS scans, I linked to it in the post before the one you quoted.

The scan's aren't useful for this conversion because
1. the Mask ROMs are a configuration that doesn't exist in an EPROM
2. the conversion is being done on a PCB set that is different from the original PCBs.

so the jumper configuration is going to be different on a converted cart; unfortunately the scans are worthless for this task.

The MVS scans for MPE can be found here, and shows all the proper jumper settings
I'm well aware of MVS scans, I linked to it in the post before the one you quoted.
The scan's aren't useful for this conversion because
1. the Mask ROMs are a configuration that doesn't exist in an EPROM
2. the conversion is being done on a PCB set that is different from the original PCBs.

so the jumper configuration is going to be different on a converted cart; unfortunately the scans are worthless for this task.
ah, missed that part, forgot you’d have to split the V-Roms for and EPROM conversion.

Must have been hell to troubleshoot. A 3D print design of an MVS cart that can fit sockets is in order :).

yeah I basically de-soldered dumped, verified, and then reinstalled every chip. related to sound. Unfortunately it was the very last one that was a problem :( and of course I didn't even do that until after I traced out the jumpers on the CHA256 and half of the PROGBK1

I think it failed after install because I triple verified every burn before installing the first time and the chip that dumped bad wont erase now.

Next question: Splitting MAME ROM's/Bin files/etc.

Is this done in the programmer's software?
  • Just load up the MAME bin file in the programmer software
  • Copy the lines of code from programmer into a hex/text editor
  • Evenly divide the lines into two hex files
  • Label each subsequent file from MAME_Bin.rom -> MAME_Bin_01.rom & MAME_Bin_02.rom
  • Finally, burn?

There are many tools out there. but the first and most simple tool you should have when playing around with these files is a Hex Editor. I use HxD: https://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/

this includes a function to split files.

If you've got a 32Mbit V-ROM that you need to split across 2x 27c160s then you'll want to go to
Tools -> File Tools -> Split
fill out your file names then specify 2048KiB in the box at the bottom.

When you need more advanced functionality you can try out Porchy's BINMAN: https://www.jammarcade.net/programs/

I have a ROM tool I've been working on that will probably be released soonish too.

Did my first conversion of *any kind* today, thanks to the helpful information here and also Mike McBike's excellent site.

The only issue I ran into was not selecting the right chip/file format for 27C1000 on the Top3000 (I originally had selected Motorola .s format instead of .bin). Seems to be running just fine. Feels good to put the tools, skills and knowledge to work finally. Just gotta make a Blazing Star cart now...

wj1.JPG

wj2.JPG

wj3.JPG

wj4.JPG

wj5.JPG

Back