What's new

suverman

Bulti Moyz
Grand Master
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
Hello,

my Tumblepop board has increasingly started showing garbage on the screen (players, enemies and earlier logo). The stage background looks fine and so is the DataEast logo.

I am thinking maybe its the ROMS which got destroyed given the board was wrapped in normal edible plastic wrap.

I have taken out each roms, plan to get a GQ-4X and burn these again after erasing them by exposing them to sunlight for a few days.

I have physical rom-chips however the mame set has three extra map.roms.
Are these files relevant? Is there a setting in GQ-4X that will require this?

Can you please tell me any precautions I need to take?

Any suggestion would be welcome.

Thanks
Suv

Attachments

• rom.jpg
    rom.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 358
Have you started with reseating the roms and checking your voltages first?

I would recommend verifying/checking the roms before trying erasing them. Leaving the roms out in the sun will get you mixed and unreliable results; not an ideal way to erase them. Cheap uv eraser from MCUMall is like $18 (people who make gq-4x)

MAME source code for the tumblep driver here: https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mame/drivers/supbtime.cpp#L497

Explains what each file is for :)

You need a UV eraser as brizzo stated.

Also I highly do NOT recommend a GQ-4X, its a piece of crap, requires many adapters, and is not reliable at all. There are better alternatives out there that do more without adapters.

Wellon VPs do more with less adapters, has a better software interface, and is far more reliable.

You need a UV eraser as brizzo stated.

Also I highly do NOT recommend a GQ-4X, its a piece of crap, requires many adapters, and is not reliable at all. There are better alternatives out there that do more without adapters.

Wellon VPs do more with less adapters, has a better software interface, and is far more reliable.
^THAT^

Hello,

my Tumblepop board has increasingly started showing garbage on the screen (players, enemies and earlier logo). The stage background looks fine and so is the DataEast logo.

I am thinking maybe its the ROMS which got destroyed given the board was wrapped in normal edible plastic wrap.

I have taken out each roms, plan to get a GQ-4X and burn these again after erasing them by exposing them to sunlight for a few days.

I have physical rom-chips however the mame set has three extra map.roms.
Are these files relevant? Is there a setting in GQ-4X that will require this?

Can you please tell me any precautions I need to take?

Any suggestion would be welcome.

Thanks
Suv
A couple of comments from my experience. First of all. Best source for info on this is MAME.

If you check here: https://github.com/mamedev/mame/blob/master/src/mame/drivers/tumbleb.cpp#L2393
you'll see which roms are for which part (program, audio, grafics, tiles, etc.)

Most usual part to fail giving bad gfx from my experience are the Gfx Ram chips. I'd get those tested first.

About roms/eproms, the best you can do is remove them and test them against ALL mame romsets of this game (tumbleb, tumbleb2, tumblepba). There is a a parameter when you run mame which is -romident that will tell you if the romset is identified or not. If it's not I would assume that it's bad.

Ah ok I need to check the graphics ram chips first then.

Thanks for all the feedback - saved myself buying an useless device.

Back