What's new
So I turned up the volume and voila - M72 Dragon Breed is playing fully with all audio in tact.@djsheep this might also do the trick for you.

Thank you all :thumbsup:
Nice! Glad you got it sorted with a simple fix.
And amazing, I just turned up the volume and I got sounds I didn't have before.

Also, one thing I've noticed, it seems as if the samples in my games are monophonic (one sample playing at once). For example, if my player dies while another sound sample is playing, it skips it. Same with inserting credits, it only restarts when the full sample is played out... Is this the same with your board?
Samples are streamed on demand, it's impossible to have more than one played at the same time cause they all access the same ROM/ROM bank/port.
So there are only 2 possibilities when a new sample has to be played when an other one is already played:
- Either stop the currently played sample and start the new one
- Or the current sample is played to the end and the new one is dropped
I had the most difficulties finding the right behaviour as it seems to vary between games and even between in game and test mode.
I just made a choice based on my observations, I could be wrong but that's easy to change anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Samples are streamed on demand, it's impossible to have more than one played at the same time cause they all access the same ROM/ROM bank/port.So there are only 2 possibilities when a new sample has to be played when an other one is already played:
I had the most difficulties finding the right behaviour as it seems to vary between games and even between in game and test mode.
I just made a choice based on my observations, I could be wrong but that's easy to change anyway.
Probably it varies in-game too. I can imagine that a character-die event has higher audio priority than an enemy-kill event.

Last edited:
Samples are streamed on demand, it's impossible to have more than one played at the same time cause they all access the same ROM/ROM bank/port.So there are only 2 possibilities when a new sample has to be played when an other one is already played:
Probably it varies in-game too. I can imagine that a character-die event has higher audio priority than an enemy-kill event.
There's no priority, some games send a 0x00 command to reset sample playing, others don't.

That is still priority from game logic perspective ;)
Oh yes I see what you mean it's either priority to the currently played sample or priority to the new sample.
What I meant is there isn't any level of priority between samples as some may have expected for the dying sample for instance.

I wonder if there's any difference between the M72 and M81 versions of Dragon breed. I have an original M81 at home.

Here is the recording with 40 coin insertions on an original M72 Dragon Breed board
The attract mode is without sound. The end gameplay is done with one hand, at least you hear the character die :whistling:

Hi all,
The sample priority "issue" is now fixed, it was a simple 2 instruction mod :D (I'm using quotes cause it was the intended behaviour I initially programmed).
Now a new sample stops the currently played sample and is then played immediately.

Not sure how to handle the update of the MCU for the "lucky" 3 people who have the kit in their hands.
I'd like to avoid releasing the update file publicly as it's part of the magic of the multi.

Sending the MCU chip back and forth isn't probably cost efficient, maybe it's just better I send you guys a replacement MCU.
@rtw has proposed to wait to see if any other oddity is found with the kit to avoid multiple updates which makes sense.

@Apocalypse,

I don't mind waiting (I'm low on ALL the multi lists anyway), but does this mean you fixed whatever problem you had at home? I don't want you worrying about ROM updates or whatever if there are serious things going on.

I think the few multi's you have out can be put through the ringer by the pros who have them, they can compile the issues and send them to you however you prefer. Then, when you have time, you can do the updates and hook us up!

I'm as eager as anyone to get these, but want to make sure you're not being tied up with fixes left and right.

@Apocalypse,

I don't mind waiting (I'm low on ALL the multi lists anyway), but does this mean you fixed whatever problem you had at home? I don't want you worrying about ROM updates or whatever if there are serious things going on.

I think the few multi's you have out can be put through the ringer by the pros who have them, they can compile the issues and send them to you however you prefer. Then, when you have time, you can do the updates and hook us up!

I'm as eager as anyone to get these, but want to make sure you're not being tied up with fixes left and right.
So far all the reported bugs for my multis have been fixed. They were all really minor from a software point of view (few instructions/bytes to be changed) and required very few time to be fixed.
Given the current state of my projects and the many hours spent on them I don't expect something major to be found.

P.S.: As a general rule anyone collecting arcade stuff should have a programmer handy. First, bitrot is now widespread and second, they could update ROMs and GALs by themselves :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: nem
Back