What's new

acidrock

Beginner
Reaction score
need special program for backup or normal copy ?
thank you so much

If I have a legit Castle Shig III that's "clicking" but still works - will it copy it OK so the copy will still work with the dongle?

I have a couple of Samsung 160Gb pata drives I found in a cupboard so might be an option to back it up.

Some disks are tied to the ATA ID block so a clone will not work.

But not all are tied, you just have to try!

Reactions: nem
Bringing this one back from the dead. I have the same question as penrhos: is it possible to backup TypeX (not X2) HDDs such that the backup will still work with the original dongle, even if the original disk is tied to the ATA ID? Is it possible to rewrite the ATA ID on the backup drive to "spoof" the ID from the original drive? If it matters, I'm legitimately trying to backup a TX1 disk I own, since I'm sure it's going to crap out sooner than later. Not trying to bootleg anything. 10+ year old spinning platter, surprised it still works to be totally honest.

Thanks!

No that is not possible. There are tools which can change the low level ATA ID from the HW manufacturers but I have not looked into it. Easiest solution is to use the decrypted image.

There are tools which can change the low level ATA ID from the HW manufacturers but I have not looked into it. Easiest solution is to use the decrypted image.
You can find some of these tools if you look into Xbox 360 drive swapping the old way.

Works on X2. Don't see why it wouldn't work on X1.

I think the old 360 hack is limited to WD drives, no? I don't think the original drive is a WD drive - does that matter?

Preference is to use an SSD, so I guess I may just use a decrypted install. Does a clean dump that wasn't heavily modified for usage on standard PCs or TX2 exist?

Preference is to use an SSD, so I guess I may just use a decrypted install. Does a clean dump that wasn't heavily modified for usage on standard PCs or TX2 exist?
All the X2 dumps in Niko's multi are clean and all the dumps in my X multi are clean.

Thanks! Guess I'll just go decrypted multi with an SSD in this case. Not worth the hassle trying to figure this out.

I crawling the HDD data, May have found someone in the past?
Installation log data in the C:, and "Eps_Reg.exe" found in the "TEMP" folder.

To imagine, this exe use to regist the dongle to HDD?

I try install the dongle's driver to my old windows PC(eps2kt1.inf and usbic2k.inf).
But can't install and use dongle.
Something is missing, or can't backup this route?

No ideas yet.

So I try to repair HDD near future.
Use new HDD's body combines old HDD's board.

If your replacement drive is exactly the same model as the original you can try to swap over the controller PCB. Some models store the ATA ID in FLASH on the controller.

That is bad news.
PCB replace need Flash memory replace too.
Because flash has head and other calibration data.
If ATA ID into flash, need other means.

To begin with, I cannot verify this because I have no proof that my dongle is in good working order...

It is very simple, just take the entire controller pcb from your original drive and move it to your new one. If they are the same...

Back