What do you think about a Sub-Forum for 3D-Printing of Arcade Parts?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• What do you think about a Sub-Forum for 3D-Printing of Arcade Parts?

I know a handful of people who have been playing around with 3D printing parts for arcade use (I'm one of them). I see posts about this stuff pop up here or there on the web but no real centralized location for arcade related 3D prints. I'd love to see a 3D printing sub-forum here so we can share the various models we've created as well as discuss and trade tips on adjusting our designs for the specific demands of arcade parts.

What do you think? :D
      Buy 3D Printed Parts: bit-district.com
      Projects: instagram | blog
      Games: VAPS | VOOT | UMK3 | RFM | Vewlix | FiF Jr. | KI2 | E29 | Net City | DDR | Flash Beats
      Wanted | For Sale/Trade
    • Niko wrote:

I love the idea, I've waited for the day I could just have a CMVS or Supergun enclosure 3D printed.
      You can manage that now, you just have to print it in sections. Lots of people are 3D printing prop weapons and even helmets and armor from games and movies, just printing in sections and gluing together. If you're clever you can make your sections screw together or even snap together.

On of the guys I follow on Instagram just 3D printed a housing for a Pi based SNES emulator with a mini LCD

Last Halloween I 3D printed a bunch of parts to help me build a proton pack :)
      Games: VAPS | VOOT | UMK3 | RFM | Vewlix | FiF Jr. | KI2 | E29 | Net City | DDR | Flash Beats
      Wanted | For Sale/Trade
    • Great idea! I bet there are a lot of EOL plastic arcade parts that could help someone recoup the investment in gear.

controller gates? Virtual On stick parts? single parts you would almost have to buy a full cab for?

Niko wrote:

I love the idea, I've waited for the day I could just have a CMVS or Supergun enclosure 3D printed.
      3d printed enclosure parts for supergun might do well for someone.

find a cheep and easy for someone to ordered enclosure.

print replacement front/rear panels with appropriate sized holes for the standard/Favored component to be mounted too.

just printing replacement panels think would cut down on need printing material, and a lower shipping weight.

The post was edited 3 times, last by MissionFailed ().

• MissionFailed wrote:

Great idea! I bet there are a lot of EOL plastic arcade parts that could help someone recoup the investment in gear.

controller gates? Virtual On stick parts? single parts you would almost have to buy a full cab for?

I actually started drawing up 3D models for the VOOT Sticks. I have most of the parts done but my modeling skills aren't good enough to do the complex curves on the grips. We might have to 3D scan those or find someone who's just that good :)
      Wanted | For Sale/Trade
    • that awesome that sound impossible with out a scanner. Are the Saturn/dreamcast VO sticks the same as the arcade? could you just grab thous as a donor?

it's been well over a decade since i've seen a VO machine.

I know the steel battalion controller sticks wore out and gained a washy large center dead zone after a lot of play. The plastic used for the grips are softer than the plastic used for the center post for the pot hall switch. caused the joints to ware out. A metal rod on soft plastic in joints is like a poor design of flights stick from the 90s
    • I've been hording VOOT arcade sticks. I have 2 full Twin unit panels, a full candy panel, as well as an extra stick and 4 sets of extra grips. This is in addition to the 2 complete panels on my OMG Twin unit (that used the huge Happ sticks).

shape wise the Saturn/Dreamcast sticks are the same as the VOOT/Force arcade sticks but all the internal structure/the bolt holes and shaft length/diameter etc are all different.
      Wanted | For Sale/Trade
    • twistedsymphony wrote:

Niko wrote:

You can manage that now, you just have to print it in sections. Lots of people are 3D printing prop weapons and even helmets and armor from games and movies, just printing in sections and gluing together. If you're clever you can make your sections screw together or even snap together.
      On of the guys I follow on Instagram just 3D printed a housing for a Pi based SNES emulator with a mini LCD

Last Halloween I 3D printed a bunch of parts to help me build a proton pack :)

It looks freaking awesome!
    • twistedsymphony wrote:

.... for the specific demands of arcade parts.
      What is the demands for printed plastic arcade parts?

I was having a thought exercise on how one would figure this out.

maybe to start by looking on ebay and see what arcade electronics/parts are most ordered and think about if one could improve it with a 3D printed bit or bob?

How important is High end, Pro looking cable management to the arcade market today? the PC market has people doing all that crazy carbon fiber looking cable management. you think there is cross over appeal and people want cable management solutions in their cabinets?

I'm not getting into 3d printing, just was thinking what would be the best/fastest way to recoup the investment in all that expensive gear.

If you had several solution to the highest selling parts you could upsell someone 2 or 3 when someone was looking for 1. Charge free shipping on everything. Satisfy the guy who wants one, combing 3d prints into one order would keep your shipping weight in the low Ozs. Very little increase cost in shipping to you. Would increase return on combined item sales, and speed of items sold. anything priced $7-$12 I think would be an impulse buy after the first item for the arcade "artisan" market.

I like to throw the proverbial spaghetti on the wall. and you guys seem to put up with me :thumbsup:
    • when I said "demands" I meant more specific design features of the parts, not which parts are "in demand".

for instances people who 3D print replica props are mostly interested in things like surface finish and how a part looks. However for arcade parts we might be more interested in dimensional accuracy, like being able to print perfectly circular holes, as well as reduction of flex in the parts so that if we were printing say joystick parts they would have smooth action and no slop.

Most plastic parts are designed not just for their end use but also so that they can be manufactured by an injection molding process. This means that many injection molded parts need to have a seemline somewhere and also need to have tapered edges to easily release from the mold, and they can't have any interior geometry. The "manufacturing" requirements for 3D printed parts are completely different we don't have to worry about seem lines, or tapered edges and we can create internal geometry, but we DO have to account for part shrinkage during cooling, "elephant foot" on the side against the print bed, and building support structures for parts with overhangs. These are the "Demands" of 3D printing and when applied to arcade parts there are new and unique challenges to overcome. Having a place to discuss these with other people who are experimenting means we can learn from the mistakes of others and build better parts using that knowledge as a foundation.
      Wanted | For Sale/Trade
    • I saw that, that panel is a turd... button holes drilled in it, it's missing the VMU reader and the artwork is trashed, plus a non-original start button (those buttons go for $30 a pop). Hard to say what condition the sticks are in but given the the rest of it and the fact that it looks like a dog chewed up one of the restrictor plates... probably not good.

I might buy a nice 5.66 panel if one came up but I own 4 VOOT panels at this point plus 2 OMG panels so I can afford to be picky.
      Wanted | For Sale/Trade
    • my favorite part is the duck tape. Hot sour garbage. why they would drilled button holes i beyond me. Cringe worthy.
      I found this really informative post some VO nut made ;) (jk) forums.arcade-museum.com/showthread.php?t=320567

Im kicking my self for not already knowing about the xbox360 VO controller. how did i miss that? :sleeping:

what is the price average of a good condition panel? I may try to find a candy cab panel down the road. not trying too hard now, just saw that panel though you may get a kick out of it.

there is always this too. :thumbup:
    • Twin unit panels for VOOT or Force tend to fetch between $200-$250 on YAJ + shipping, Candy Cab panels tend to fetch between $350 and $450 + shipping (prices have gone WAY up lately on these).

I've had a saved search on eBay for VO parts for the last 5 years or so. in that time in that time only 2 complete VOOT panels have ever gone up for sale (and both from the same guy and about 2 months ago) one sold for $320 shipped the other sold for $180 shipped. So if you happen to find these in the states the price is lower but finding them in the states is obviously way less common.

other random parts I've found here are one random VOOT stick that sold for $35 to me.
      also two empty VOOT twin panels, I contacted the seller and made a trade offline for these but he was asking $150 as a starting bid.

if you want to build your own codecrank on KLOV offers custom cut candy cab panels and has the pattern for VOOT,
      the complete list of games that used these sticks is:
      1998 - CyberTroopers Virtual On Oratorio Tangram
      1999 - Outtrigger (only had 1 stick per player)
      2000 - CyberTroopers Virtual On Oratorio Tangram 2000 Edition
      2005 - Gundam Battle Operating Simulator

GBOS uses a weird custom plastic panel and I've seen them sell on YAJ for about $180 + shipping but they come up for sale far less frequently.

Outtrigger panels seems to sell for about the same price as VOOT panels in Japan and even higher in the states so they're not really a good source for sticks since you'd have to buy 2 and you're parting out an already very valuable panel.

the Xbox 360 and PS3 sticks use Sanwa 8-way flight sticks (which retail for about $120 a piece) with special grips that look just like the arcade grips but are internally completely different.
      Wanted | For Sale/Trade
    • Nice. I wonder if all "reproductions" should kind of go in there. i know I'm working with Derick2k to measure out my CPS3 cage so that new ones can be reproduced. (Just a pain in the butt taking my hand measurements and putting them into Photoshop. If there's a standard set of software that metal machine shops use, let me know and i'll put the measurements in there and make the files available to anybody. Kind of like 3D printing, but really not. Heh. )
    • Jdurg wrote:

Nice. I wonder if all "reproductions" should kind of go in there. i know I'm working with Derick2k to measure out my CPS3 cage so that new ones can be reproduced. (Just a pain in the butt taking my hand measurements and putting them into Photoshop. If there's a standard set of software that metal machine shops use, let me know and i'll put the measurements in there and make the files available to anybody. Kind of like 3D printing, but really not. Heh. )
      Metal shops use dimensional "drawings" made by a CAD software like SolidWorks or AutoCAD, different shops use different products. with CNC machines you generally need to program in all the tool paths and part selection so even if you gave them a 3D model in the software package that they use they're probably going to redraw it anyway.

the important thing is to put appropriate tolerances on key dimensions and not to over-define your drawing.
      Wanted | For Sale/Trade
    • twistedsymphony wrote:

if you want to build your own codecrank on KLOV offers custom cut candy cab panels and has the pattern for VOOT,
      the complete list of games that used these sticks is:
      1998 - CyberTroopers Virtual On Oratorio Tangram
      1999 - Outtrigger (only had 1 stick per player)
      2000 - CyberTroopers Virtual On Oratorio Tangram 2000 Edition
      2005 - Gundam Battle Operating Simulator
      Kinda reviving a dead post here, but his template has the between-stick spacing wrong- especially odd as I gave it to him, after working with Franco to guesstimate the proper spacing.
      The panels are indeed great though. I had him run me the pair of panels he shows in his photos, and I've put together a "kit" to non-destructively convert VOOT DC sticks to the panel with proper AMP UP connectors. More on that.. eventually if there's interest.