What's new

Dreygor

Grand Master
Reaction score
I have two US Atomiswave units I am working on re-building .. at the same time.

5OZEeDGl.jpg

The first one is an actual Atomiswave with a shooter set up. I have all but one game (Extreme Hunting 2) . I need to find new monitor shrouds as the ones for this unit got cracked

UYa5PFDl.jpg

Then the second is a stick and button fighter style I am converting to a Naomi 1 netboot that can run Atomiswave (and other games)

3ZqIg7zl.jpg

I got it up and running

WJs2rKil.jpg

and it will play games well

r3A39KAl.jpg

but this JVS sucks .. I cant get the player 1&2 button 6 working like it supposed too .. I also have to use a seperate sound amp with it.

tBzrS8cl.jpg

So the plan is to track one of these down and use it instead. I however am not totally sure how to get stereo sound out of it.

nBFBPsMl.jpg

Oh I also had some marquees made for both machines..

IM59bEbl.jpg

Here is the link to the file I used for printing :)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lbZhLSDoVsBP_kXuum4e-h1D-BRMnlrV

I will take more pictures after I get some more work on them done. Right now I am searching for a Sega/Capcom JVS for the stick and button cab and replacement left and right monitor shroud covers for the shooting cab.

-Drey

I approve of this project!

Your level of Atomiswave love makes me think I should send you one of the AW tshirts I had made :P
i searched for a couple of good shape ones for a loooong time then these two came up almost at the same time. I jumped on them immediately.

Downside is while moving them i shattered the monitor shroud on the shooter cab. They are super fragile.

As for the shirt .. you could always send it when ya send me my 2x6 dongle lolz.

I sold a trio of these to a guy in Kentucky, who was super hyped to get them. They still come up in auctions pretty regularly, and the K7400 chassis that are on them, are beautiful as long as the tubes arent super burnt.

I don't believe, btw, that the Sega I/O ever supported 6 buttons...i thought it stopped at 4-5.

Capcom I/O is the only way to get 6 buttons, and as far as stereo sound, you can run the speakers to a cheap stereo amp, and feed that directly from the naomi, or you can feed the stereo to the Capcom I/O, which will convert it to mono for the jamma adapter out to the cab. Either way is fine.

Best of luck on the restore!

Sega JVS I/O supports 7 buttons each I believe.

Very nice! Have 3 of them, 2 drivers and the gun cab.
That reminds me to put a wanted up for ranger mission :)

Good machines, very reliable and nice WG modern monitors inside.
The joystick panel version is like hens teeth in the UK.

Sadly the room is a bit full and can't get full scale pics.

Attachments

• 15585398_10207948263048906_401985233047107556_o.jpg
    15585398_10207948263048906_401985233047107556_o.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 833
  • IMAG1322[1].jpg
    IMAG1322[1].jpg
    865.5 KB · Views: 310
Very nice! Have 3 of them, 2 drivers and the gun cab.
That reminds me to put a wanted up for ranger mission :)

Good machines, very reliable and nice WG modern monitors inside.
The joystick panel version is like hens teeth in the UK.

Sadly the room is a bit full and can't get full scale pics.
I actually am looking for a driving version of the cab but does not seem like anyone has one. Plus I kinda figured I should finish up the two I have first and get them running fully.

Replacement parts for the cracked/broken ABS plastic pieces around the monitor seem very hard to come by .. especially when it seems everyone else's is broken also. I talked to quite a few people who just went flat panel with theirs. Unfortunately I do not have that option with the shooting cab.

I'd swap panels with you but the shipping would kill us both!

The 2003/2004 wells gardners are like brand new compared to the crappy 80's/90's hanterex / hard to repair nanao's.

Yes the plastics are the problem. Lucky my monitor plastics are good... but the driving seats are very bad and getting worse...

There's gotta be a load of plastics somewhere sat in a warehouse.. If not hopefully someone's up for a doing a repro run od the main ones that go.

I think the side panels are the same for each side? Can't remember now.

** Edit! Once had lethal enforcers running on the gun cab with the sport shooting guns, it's the same pinout but the connector is flipped or something silly like that ;)

Attachments

• IMAG1324[1].jpg
    IMAG1324[1].jpg
    836.9 KB · Views: 270
Sega JVS I/O supports 7 buttons each I believe.
Diagram says CN3 should add 3 buttons to each player making a total of 9 buttons each .. but I can not seem to get it to recognize on the Naomi I tried both positions on JP1.

13-b.jpg

naomijamma.gif

Yeah I'm not sure how many buttons the JAMMA I/Os support. :(

I feel that JVS-to-JAMMA adapters suck, yea all of 'em.
Sure some suck less than others, but at the end of the day they all just fucking suck.

So what should a JVS cab owner that wants to play JAMMA boards do?

I say convert the entire cab over to JAMMA wiring, then use a JAMMA-to-JVS adapter to regain JVS.
My most favorite JAMMA-to-JVS adapter is hands down the Capcom IO, but Sega, Namco and Konami also make nice options.

If you take anything away from this post I hope its this...
DO NOT EVER BUY THE RIVERSERVICE JVS-TO-JAMMA ADAPTER!
jvs_650.png

Bonus: a JAMMA wired cab can also easily be converted into a FastIO cab (Taito's official IO pictured)
vfiut0r.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Diagram says CN3 should add 3 buttons to each player making a total of 9 buttons each .. but I can not seem to get it to recognize on the Naomi I tried both positions on JP1.
You want the jumper in position "A" to setup the expansion header for input.

Technically speaking the JAMMA edge on that IO board supports up to button 5, and then the expansion header provides buttons 6 7 8 9

but most games map buttons 4 5 and 6 to the expansion header (so buttons 4 and 5 are on both the header AND the JAMMA edge).

so on the expansion header
pin 4 = P1 B4
pin 5 = P1 B5
pin 6 = P1 B6

pin 8 = P2 B4
pin 9 = P2 B5
pin 10 = P2 B6

you should be testing this in the NAOMI's JVS Test mode First to ensure your wiring and jumper is good, once that's confirmed test in-game to ensure that it's mapped appropriately.

Yeah I'm not sure how many buttons the JAMMA I/Os support. :(
I'm just gonna go with a Sega / Capcom JVS IO .. at least I know for sure how they work. I am going to still go with an external sound amp because for some strange reason the Capcom JVS takes stereo in and converts it to mono on the JAMMA harness instead of doing one speaker on the JAMMA harness and one on the kick harness .. unless someone can confirm the two RCAs on the JAMMA/Kick harness side are powered out-puts.

Mit, Shouldn't you be evacuating right about now according to your governor?

Sure is, but the problem is when you try to play other JVS boards.

I'd like to get ahold of and try a couple these that this guy used. kelvinsgamingheaven.blogspot.c…in-house-whoop-whoop.html but I searched all over Ali Express and could not find it anywhere.
I'm pretty sure that I have these. I bought a bunch of his Naomi gear a while back and these were included. He has also recently joined the forum @Rugdoctor

Back