What's new
Was weighing my options without spending a ton of money.
I think the Capcom IO is reasonable at 150$ max, and most of the time it sells for around that.
One word of advice tho... Look for a Version 2 Capcom IO.

V1
Capcom_io_version_1.jpg

V2
Capcom_io_version_2.jpg

I actually only recently found out about the version 2 myself, having always owned a version 1 and not knowing 2 different versions existed.

Was weighing my options without spending a ton of money.
I think the Capcom IO is reasonable at 150$ max, and most of the time it sells for around that.One word of advice tho... Look for a Version 2 Capcom IO.

V1

V2

I actually only recently found out about the version 2 myself, having always owned a version 1 and not knowing 2 different versions existed.
I could probably handle somewhere are that number shipped, but most of the ones I know of for sale are more than that.

I have a v2 with a sound amp that does not work I am going to wire it up for that and use a separate sound amp until I can find a reasonable one for sale.

Hell if it works well enough I just might leave it well enough alone lol.

Hell if it works well enough I just might leave it well enough alone lol.
I never used the audio amp in mine, Vewlix has its own amp.
Same with the video adaption, Vewlix accepts VGA directly on the monitor.
It was only ever used for JVS controls and converting JAMMA power into JVS (but as I'm sure you know Naomi is a power hog with DIMMs/ie it won't be enough for that).

Aight winning combination is Sega / Capcom JVS IO using a Lepy LP-2024A+ amp for sound!

Got it all re-wired..

1WElB16l.jpg

.. and got the JVS IO installed, audio amp installed, and did all of the wire management

JwJ6rxel.jpg

Pretty happy with the way that's running now.

Now to figure out why my reset relay is not liking my Naomi 1 / NetDIMM.

...So the saga continues..

I figured out why the relay was not doing what it was supposed to. I swapped it out with a different relay and it immediately worked. So I tested the original relay again and confirmed it was bad and hanging up.

BUT it gets better …

Now my Naomi 1 rig won't play Atomiswave games. This is crazy because all the way up until yesterday I could play ever single one of them. It still plays every single Naomi game just fine. I do know the Atomiswave games are finicky about the voltages so after work tonight I will tinker with the voltages and see if I can get this ironed out. This sucks .. the purpose behind having the netboot rig in an Atomiswave cabinet .. was to play Atomiswave games :(

If it's not one thing .. it's everything :(

A slight delay to the project as I decided to take the Naomi 1 out and use my Naomi 2 with a 1GB NetDIMM instead as I decided to use my TTX2 in my Sega Showcase cab instead, but that's a project for another day.

I did get all the games running again .. oddly I found it was my switch from the Sega JVS to the Sega/Capcom JVS that was causing my issues with playing the Atomiswave games. Stranger than that I tried another Sega/Capcom JVS and they are working again. Yeah .. I don't quite understand that. *scratches head*

Anywho I also stumbled across a diagram for wiring up the Sega 838-13683 correctly .. which apparently I did not do correctly and that's why I couldn't get the 6th button working on player 1&2. Which is fine as the Sega/Capcom JVS is better.

Here is the diagram that I found on arcadeotaku.com

SEGA_838-13683_JVS_IO_1.png

SEGA_838-13683_JVS_IO_2.png

So this is saying I should have had player 1 button 6 on 6 with the ground going to 12 and the player 2 button 6 on 10 with the ground going to 13. Where as originally I had wired player 1 button 6 on 4 with the ground going to 13 and the player 2 button 6 on 8 with the ground going to 14.

pin 4 = P1 B4
pin 5 = P1 B5
pin 6 = P1 B6

pin 8 = P2 B4
pin 9 = P2 B5
pin 10 = P2 B6
I mean I did post the correct pinout for the Sega jvs jamma board expansion header for you back on page 1... :rolleyes:
Yep ... but at that point I was moving on to the Sega / Capcom JVS IO :p just figured since I saw those diagrams I would re-post them.

I may need your help in the near future .. I got one heck of a project sitting in my garage

5zRwmAgl.jpg

They are complete with the exception of the monitors. Everything seems to work but they play blind so not totally sure. I do know for sure the volume control needs re-wired because these things are LOUD and I tried turning the volume down and it did nothing LOL .. but that's a project for another thread.

Very nice. Do you have the divider piece too? That's usually the first part to go missing.

Proper monitors for these are Nanao MS9-29SU but anything that supports medium res should work.

If the volume is super loud it's probaly because thr volume controls are unplugged.

Also verify that all the cooling fans work (on the pcb cage and the back of the cab) because those boards will cook themselves if the fans aren't working.

@Dreygor let me know if you are done, ill come up and help you test it out! Puts my Dreamcast VOOT setup to shame!

Ok so swapped to a Naomi 2 and got all the hardware issues straightened out. Best of all..

AKgXpBol.jpg

9eL5zU9l.jpg

l2TQ6Zhl.jpg

RmeJ1Ael.jpg

psm8suwl.jpg

.. I got the Atomiswave games running!

I know the Naomi 2 is kind of overkill but it actually seems to run better than the Naomi 1 I was using. On the flip side it takes a few extra seconds to boot. Now finish mounting whats left and put the rest of the cab back together!

Very nice! I can’t get my AW games working on my N2, opposite problem.

Very nice! I can’t get my AW games working on my N2, opposite problem.
Yeah I actually had the same problem off and on. At first I thought it was a voltage issue, So i tried ATX PSU, Sun PSU, and a generic PSU with 3.3VDC but it was all the same problem.

So I started changing out other parts and in my set up it seems that some of the JVS cause it to hang. I started with a Sega 838-13683-02 and it seemed to play Atomiswave games fine, but this is while I was testing everything and I was not happy with it. Then I switched to a Sega/Capcom JVS and it didn't work .. so I tried a different Sega/Capcom JVS and it worked. then I swapped between the different JVS to confirm my findings and yep its JVS sensitive it looks like. Just to make sure I went back and plugged in the Sega/Capcom JVS and tried all of the power supplies .. and WTF they all worked to play Atomiswave games.

So in my experience it's the JVS causing the Atomiswave NetBoot games to hang. Some people have found it was the power supply voltage.

Last edited:
Yeah I actually had the same problem off and on. At first I thought it was a voltage issue, So i tried ATX PSU, Sun PSU, and a generic PSU with 3.3VDC but it was all the same problem.
So I started changing out other parts and in my set up it seems that some of the JVS cause it to hang. I started with a Sega 838-13683-02 and it seemed to play Atomiswave games fine, but this is while I was testing everything and I was not happy with it. Then I switched to a Sega/Capcom JVS and it didn't work .. so I tried a different Sega/Capcom JVS and it worked. then I swapped between the different JVS to confirm my findings and yep its JVS sensitive it looks like. Just to make sure I went back and plugged in the Sega/Capcom JVS and tried all of the power supplies .. and WTF they all worked to play Atomiswave games.

So in my experience it's the JVS causing the Atomiswave NetBoot games to hang. Some people have found it was the power supply voltage.
Interesting.

I have one of these cabs too. It's a Sega Sports Shooting which I am in the process of converting to a 6-button fighter cab. Posted about it over here. Love the profile of this cab. Only thing I don't like about it is the CP is too low.

Interesting.
I have one of these cabs too. It's a Sega Sports Shooting which I am in the process of converting to a 6-button fighter cab. Posted about it over here. Love the profile of this cab. Only thing I don't like about it is the CP is too low.
DUDE! I have those same barstools!

Anywho .. your project is looking good so far! I lucked out and found a fighter cab and didn't have to convert the control panel .. but then I was unlucky and broke the monitor shrouds on my other Atomiswave cab which is a Ranger Mission shooter cab :(

Sooooo if you happen to come across an Atomiswave being parted out I need the left and right monitor shroud pieces lol.

Pretty hard to find one of those. But I do know of a guy that took that shroud completely off and fitted a flat panel LCD in its place. I'll ask him if he still has the parts.

Pretty hard to find one of those. But I do know of a guy that took that shroud completely off and fitted a flat panel LCD in its place. I'll ask him if he still has the parts.
that would be ridiculously awesome!!!!

Looks like he moved recently and told me he tossed it out. Sorry bud.

Back