What's new

KoshiroKazuma

Student
Reaction score
I recently bought a Ibara PCB from YAHOO AUCTION.
I wonder if it is possible to convert it to Black Label version by just reprogramming the only 4 flash chips on the PCB.
From the MAME source code, it seems that the PCB doesn't have any encryption technique...
The difference between the two version is only the data in U2 U4 U23 and U24. I assume that it is doable... :rolleyes:
So does anybody has any experience in converting CAVE PCB ?
Thanks!

I think @Cereth mentioned something about converting Mushi Futari Black Label Another Ver to regular Black Version. I think people are doing it, but they're keeping their mouth shut because of the prices these boards are commanding.

I wouldn't comment on any of this, not my place.

It's said that the Pink Sweets Suicide Club PCB is a conversion from Mushihimesama, so it's definitely possible.

It's a can of worms though because people will start making SDOJ conversions (and Akai home) and trying to pass them off as original. No way you'd be able to tell the difference other than the serial sticker, which would be easy to reproduce.

I suspect it's just a matter of time until Joerg or someone else starts offering this type of service though.

I suspect it's just a matter of time until Joerg or someone else starts offering this type of service though.
Man, what fun that would do to the market. Cheap boards would go up, rare boards without a record of previous owners would come down dramatically. Very very few would be willing to pay 5k+ for SDOJ anymore if they could grab Futari or Ibara and convert.

Akai Home isn't going to start popping up though, still not publicly dumped.

Just dumping ROMs usually doesn't affect games (look at current prices for retro games on NES/SNES/PCE for example) however, being able to pass off a conversion as the real deal would definitely allow scum bags to sell less expensive games for more money.

Is there really no way to tell from looking at it?

If you know what a resoldered ROM looks like, maybe
Well, I guess if I ever plan on dropping that kind of money for a PCB, I would have to learn really fucking fast!

Seriously, if you're talking $$$$ I would ask for up close pictures of the soldered points. Also, where would they get the art sets from to go with it? I assume if someone has matching numbers/arts for a game, it's probably legit, but hey, what do I know!

Id guess it come down to resoldering as that was the only option if there's no info on jtag in public.
Didn't think ppl would do that with a pcb that expensive.

It's as easy as ordering the 29LV160 from Buyicnow and hot airing your way to success.
You can see they use the same NAND in Mame.

Do a clean job soldering and the artwork for Black Label matches fine for the 'Another Version' edition.

Id guess it come down to resoldering as that was the only option if there's no info on jtag in public.
You'd have to remove, reprogram, and replace the sound ROMs even if the JTAG info were public as they're not part of the JTAG chain.

Also, where would they get the art sets from to go with it?
I mean when loose boards cost the same as used cars, why bother putting in the effort to remake the artwork at all? Just sell a bare board and pocket a few grand.

And I wasn't suggesting that dumping the ROMs would affect the values (aside from Akai Katana Home because really the value in it is that it's exclusive), there being a ton of legit hardware conversions on the market is what would.

Just dumping ROMs usually doesn't affect games (look at current prices for retro games on NES/SNES/PCE for example) however, being able to pass off a conversion as the real deal would definitely allow scum bags to sell less expensive games for more money.
That is usually not the point from the owners of the Intellectual Property. The old cartridges already have been sold, they can't sell them again. The high prices for retro does not go to the original publishers/creators.
Why most of the time IP owners are so protective, is when they want to reuse the brand on newer consoles/machines; with respins or re-makes. They believe people who are using/playing their old ROMs will not buy the newer ports/re-spins.

Same goes for CAVE (or whoever owns the CAVE-IP).

Does the x360 versions a straight port or emulated versions?

if they are emulated the rom data is on the discs and can be extracted... 8o

That is usually not the point from the owners of the Intellectual Property. The old cartridges already have been sold, they can't sell them again. The high prices for retro does not go to the original publishers/creators.Why most of the time IP owners are so protective, is when they want to reuse the brand on newer consoles/machines; with respins or re-makes. They believe people who are using/playing their old ROMs will not buy the newer ports/re-spins.

I also don't think having some CAVE shooters available on MAME right now has lowered the prices of the PCBs, or the demand for new games coming out. I just pre-ordered the CAVE re-release game on PS4, so for me it didn't!

That is usually not the point from the owners of the Intellectual Property. The old cartridges already have been sold, they can't sell them again. The high prices for retro does not go to the original publishers/creators.Why most of the time IP owners are so protective, is when they want to reuse the brand on newer consoles/machines; with respins or re-makes. They believe people who are using/playing their old ROMs will not buy the newer ports/re-spins.
I also don't think having some CAVE shooters available on MAME right now has lowered the prices of the PCBs, or the demand for new games coming out. I just pre-ordered the CAVE re-release game on PS4, so for me it didn't!
which one is gonna be available on ps4?

Back