What's new

West

Grand Master
Reaction score
Anyone seen this or played it yet?

http://gameordie.com/halfwaytohell/

Looks like a fan made Progear hack. Pretty exciting just to see something like this made. The roms are avail for download on their site and it looks to be derived from the decrypted progearjbl roms.

I tried a very quick attempt at getting it running on the Darksoft kit with no luck yet.

I don't see a rom download. What does the Dante thing do?

According to the readme you put the Progear J roms in the same folder and it edits them into the romhack.

1) Extract dante.exe into C:\dante
2) Unzip set progearjbl from MAME into a folder named progearjbl then move it into the dante folder
3) Open a command prompt and type: dante progearjbl\*
4) Zip up the newly created files into a file called halfway.zip

Indeed, following the included instructions creates a romset as follows:

halfway.03
redlabel.11m
redlabel.12m
redlabel.13m
redlabel.15m
redlabel.17m
redlabel.19m
tohell.04

I didn't have much time to mess with it last night but I followed the included instructions, put it on CPS2 Multi sd card and not really expecting it to work, tried to run it with no luck. Tried running the halfway.zip in mame as well to no avail.

I'll test it after lunch and let you guys know.

Only roms changed are 3,4,11,and 12. I dunno why they renamed the others. So only the samples and 68k code were changed.

I've got them set up in multi format. I just need to test them. If they work I'll post them.

Works great! Thanks Darksoft & Mits.
unnamed.jpg

that's awesome! would love to hear some impressions when you have time, I'm too lazy to open up my multi case to get the sd card atm :P

i have trouble on difficulty set at 2 in progear. How hard is this version?

It's freaking tough. Level 1 already is a bit of a test (well, the boss is). I'm not a Progear master by any means and I think PGRL definitely steps it up a significant notch.

My hope this was just a proof of concept and they keep working on it.
I think you start off on the second loop but your definitely on stage 5.
Bomb items give you two instead of one.

Works good for me. It starts off really easy and by the end of the first level (actually level 6?) it is insanely difficult. But then again I suck at shooters.

Back