What's new

Nodoyuna

Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi

I'm having a debate myself about how to play my games

I do not have a real arcade cab, as I'm using a supergun, so I don't have a real need to use coins

I'd like to ask people here about how you play your games, in freeplay or coin oriented mode?

I don't mind if the playing is through emulation or using real hardware

Thanks in advance

I use free play and a few of my cabs I have a credit button for when free play isn't an option.

I use the ‘service’ button only to coin up when I’m fiddling with something or testing.

When I really sit down and plays it is only 100Y coins :)

I use tokens. I've got custom tokens made for my arcade (that I include with most things I sell) and I have a token machine that dispenses the tokens with a button press.

Imho dropping a coin is an important part of the experience. If you are just using a supergun then it's not that important I guess.

All of my cabs are set to free play. For solo playing and giving yourself a limit and an experience coins are nice, but my games are mostly set up as side by side linked cabs for playing other people, crediting up would be annoying.

I have a 24 mm Sanwa Button next to coin entry on my NAC and with supergun I always use select for coin.

Coin is a must have arcade games!

I use tokens. I've got custom tokens made for my arcade (that I include with most things I sell) and I have a token machine that dispenses the tokens with a button press.

Imho dropping a coin is an important part of the experience. If you are just using a supergun then it's not that important I guess.
My friends convinced me to get a change machine, then promptly took that change machine from me and wired it up with an arduino and accelerometer so that it dispenses the tokens whenever you Fonzie the machine. :) Way more satisfying than a button press imo.

That being said, most of my machines are still on free play just because I haven't made my own custom tokens (haven't found one cheap enough yet, would be curious where you went) so the ones I use are a mishmash of different sizes and such -- I really need to get around to installing the AnyCoin mechs that I have.

It cost me about $700 for 5000 tokens. The first order will be more expensive because you need to pay for the die first. After that they can use the same die and you can order less quantity.

Yeah that's about the same #'s I was seeing, which is more than I'm willing to pay right now at least. Thanks though.

A BIG part of the arcade experience to me is putting a quarter into the coin slot. See my avatar...

:D

So I always have my cabs take quarters, but I do have the key handy for some quick credits...

But recently I installed a cool hack into one of my cab coin door where you just push the coin eject button (again, see my avatar) to add a credit.

Works great for the quarter muncher games...

:D

atm I'm running on superguns, don't have a cab yet.

When I get a cab, it would feel proper to have it be coin play.

I personally use tokens in my cabs.Just love the ka-chunk of the coin drop and most games have a little sound que attached. However, some games hang on a “press start” screen when coined up. On those, I would suggest free play to avoid burn in.

So I suppose it depends on if you are going to have short sessions, or if you are going to let the cab run for days at a time unmonitored.

On cabs I play with coins, on super guns actually also - gives the experience something extra. Same reason I do not use auto-fire units :)
Only when a game happens to be already in free play, I will leave it - hardly happens though :D

I use tokens when available, however I have a coinup button in case something goes wrong, I use freeplay only when there's a party

Coin play always! Reminds me of my childhood. Some games get static screens on free play too, which is bad for the monitors.

Of course, I have rigged some to add a coin while pressing the coin return, makes it fun without need coins on hand.

For my SG, always coin so I feel good hitting "select" on my sticks to add a coin. It also slows me down from coining my way through a tough game. I'm trying to take my time and enjoy the journey!

There is another thread about how many coins per game... I think I'm going to start limiting myself that way too!

Freeplay all the way for me. I don't feel like requiring coins or anything when guests come over or if I want to get a few quick games in.

I use a combination of game settings, Freeplay or Freeplay attract mode hacked roms, HSS Freeplay kits, rig a microswitch behind the coin door rejector, or wire the coin switch to start buttons. I never drill a button through my cabinets.

There is another thread about how many coins per game... I think I'm going to start limiting myself that way too!
That's my favorite way to practice, I'm not really good enough to 1CC anything (except SF2:WW/CE) but if I can get farther with less everytime I play I consider that a successful session/makes me feel good.

Back