What's new

patmanqc

Grand Master
Reaction score
Hello all, I just discovered this forum and wanted to share my arcade documentary series. I hope this is the right forum.

I've been a videogame player since 1978 but lost my hands and feet to pneumonia three years ago. I figured out a way to keep playing and also started this documentary series just a couple of months ago. I hope you enjoy them. Also, up on my channel is the history of Chase HQ, paperboy, jungle hunt and more.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sY6BWuY0ubk

You got some nice vids on your channel, sure lots of folks here are interested!

Welcome btw! :)

Fun video, but I'm docking points for there being no images of a real Mario Bros (wide body) arcade cabinet! The image with Todd Tuckey near the start is a DK Jr conversion, and the one near the end is DK/Popeye conversion with wrong joysticks

:thumbsup:

I watched the Mario Bros/Simpsons/Paperboy/Dragon's Lair videos and subscribed. As someone that watches a lot of different youtuber's documentaries each week while I'm working, I wanted to offer a little bit of constructive criticism. I really like the early parts of your videos about the actual history, but feel there could be a bit more depth to them as the history aspect should be the most expansive and well-researched part (i.e. if you can find rare tidbits that aren't common knowledge). I also found my interest waning when the topic would shift from the actual coverage of the arcade games to when you would start showing off the pc/home console ports as these parts tend to drag a bit. It's nice to see them, but maybe get through them faster? I love how you add in the game commercials, though. Those are great to have in there.

As I mentioned, I watch a lot of documentaries each week on youtube (Gaming Historian, Gaijillionaire, DidYouKnowGaming, Defunctland, Wrestling With Gaming, PushingUpRoses, The 8-Big Guy, Toy Galaxy, Defunctland, Park Ride History, Expedition Theme Park, Company Man, etc.). I think covering individual game histories is a great niche that can be focused on, just make sure you're constantly engaging the viewer throughout the video so that they don't click off.

[Edited--added a bit more to the first paragraph.]

I appreciate the criticism and I thank you for watching. I've heard both sides of the coin in regards to the home counsel ports. The earliest videos I did showed a lot more footage from these different versions. I was told to pick it up and make it faster so I did, then people complained that I was leaving certain things out and it was too quick. I'm trying to find a happy medium.

As far as more information a lot of these games are designed in Japan and the developers do not give interviews. There are other games people have requested but I could not find absolutely anything in regards to their development process. I also like to pick games that I can find something interesting to talk about and not the same old clichéd streetfighter 2 or super Mario Brothers which have already been covered in length.

Also, I like to include little jokes and clips to keep the to keep the viewers engaged.

Thanks.

Back