What's new

cap0

Beginner
Reaction score
Hii there!

As the NAOMI is the only Cab I have room for at the moment, I would love to play some jamma pcbs (at least the Multi-PCB) ones as Pandora from time to time.
Strippin´my NAOMI and just putting the Wires for JAMMA in are no option, because I simply love the NAOMI Games too much! <3 :D

I did some research and found this one as the cheaper alternative to the namco converter:
s-l225.jpg

and this one
(says standard JAMMA video output or VGA output (Auto output detection)

Pandoras_Box_4_Pcb.jpg

Now my question is .... am I able to hook both of them up with the existing wires AND will it work? ?( ^^

Hello.. just a heads up.. there is a person working on a raspberry pie Mame version Jamma ready..people are saying that, that setup is miles away from those pandora's boxes. Look into that and see if you like that alternative..

Last edited:
When converting a naomi cab to jamma you will need to not only convert the controls but also the video from 15khz to 31khz

The converter you posted i believe doesn't convert the video. i found This which looks like what you posted.

You should be able to use a CGA to VGA converter with the jvs to jamma converter.

From the little research i have done on these converters the cheaper Riverservice apparently has some lag to it and it also doesn't have a -5v output which the Namco one does.

Sorry but you may have to wait for someone more knowledgeable about video converts to chime in.

both of the converters posted have dedicated CGA (15khz) inputs and the jvs to jamma board outputs it's video via db15.
I'm not 100% sure if any of the converters you posted can handle 15khz via the db15 connector.

That JVS to Jamma converter is known to have lag. The only ones that do not are the Namco one and the one for the Konami Windy. Neither are cheap running along the lines of 250+ on top of that, if you have to convert video from 15k to 31k those cheap converters also introduce some lag as well. The Blast City does support 15k,24k, and 31k unless it has a different chassis other than a 2930 or 2931. My reccomendation? Roll your own, you can make wiring for all of what you have and using plugs to match the wiring coming off the Blast Power Supply. You only need 5v,12v, controls and video, Jamma is a pretty simple beast.

Oh wow, I am so blind. I didn't realize that you had a Naomi Upright, in which case my above post is kinda moot. The Naomi Upright has a VGA only and you can't just roll your own :(

Not a problem - the Pandora outputs VGA on a 15-pin d-sub on the side....

The Konami/Namco JVS->JAMMA adapter is far superior to the Riverservice one (it's a bit laggy). But any of them will work well enough.

What you need to do is either get a JNX atlas 1.1 JAMMA to elf/Pandora adapter (or make up one yourself) to fix the kick-harness and a few connection differences between the JAMMA standard and the Pandora, plug that into your JVS->JAMMA adapter. That will sort out your controls & power. Then plug the VGA lead from the Naomi into the VGA socket on the side of the Pandora and you're sorted.

Another option is to buy a JVS-PAC and use that to run a MAME PC in the Naomi, so long as you set the resolution to 640*480 @ 60Hz in windows it'll work fine.

If you want to do the JAMMA conversion on the cheap make a JAMMA loom up, take +12V, GND & +5V from the SUN PSU that powers the Naomi, run the control wires up the left leg into the control panel bucket and instead of spade connectors on the end fit female sockets so you can swap the P1 & P2 looms from the JVS panel to the JAMMA loom.

Not a problem - the Pandora outputs VGA on a 15-pin d-sub on the side....

The Konami/Namco JVS->JAMMA adapter is far superior to the Riverservice one (it's a bit laggy). But any of them will work well enough.

What you need to do is either get a JNX atlas 1.1 JAMMA to elf/Pandora adapter (or make up one yourself) to fix the kick-harness and a few connection differences between the JAMMA standard and the Pandora, plug that into your JVS->JAMMA adapter. That will sort out your controls & power. Then plug the VGA lead from the Naomi into the VGA socket on the side of the Pandora and you're sorted.

Thanks for the input!
Got everything set so far. The Pandora-Box, the Riverservice Converter.
Sound and controls work fine, but the Picture is a mess ... looks like to screens merging into one. With the standard adjustments in the NAOMI it won´t get any better.
Any ideas here? Will take some pictures later.

JNX atlas 1.1 JAMMA is out of stock at the moment, keepin´an eye on it tough!
:thumbup:

Have you checked that the dipswitches on the pandora are set to 31khz? I had to manually set it on a friends one or it wouldnt display properly (sent 15khz signal by default) :)

Can´t find a dipswitch here :?:

VGA connected to Pandora Box:

VGA connected to the Converter:

Already tried every Out, with sound, without sound, with usb, without usb ....
Controls and sound work fine, picture is still a mess ;(

Ah, the one my friend had was a Pandora's box 3 and had a row of dipswitches with which you could select 15 or 31khz....it was different to yours.

Even so, yours should look right with the cga to vga converter...with only the monitor needing to be adjusted to suit the image. I'm at a loss I'm afraid, but I wouldn't keep connecting it up without the converter as you may damage your monitor chassis!

Ps. Do you have a manual with the Pandora's box? If so what does it say about 31khz output? It may be that this particular model doesn't?

Ah, the one my friend had was a Pandora's box 3 and had a row of dipswitches with which you could select 15 or 31khz....it was different to yours.

Even so, yours should look right with the cga to vga converter...with only the monitor needing to be adjusted to suit the image. I'm at a loss I'm afraid, but I wouldn't keep connecting it up without the converter as you may damage your monitor chassis!

Ps. Do you have a manual with the Pandora's box? If so what does it say about 31khz output? It may be that this particular model doesn't?
Hmm seems like there is no chance without the converter
Just came across that note:
Output : CGA on JAMMA and VGA on SubD-15 connector.
Thanks alot for all the replys so far! :thumbup:

Could be a sync issue - I couldn't get my mv1 to sync on my tri-sync Naomi - think I had to modify the h/v sync lines in the end?

If you plug a PC monitor into the VGA port do you get a stable picture, if you do and the monitor shows resolution & sync what is it?

If you do check the settings on the Pandora to see if there's any adjustments

Yesterday I finally had time to wire the converter up and give it a try....works :thumbsup:

Thanks to everyone for the help / suggestions / input!

What did you have to do in the end to get it working (in case someone else needs to do the same).

Well in the end, the trickiest part was to find a manual for the converter wich describes how to get to the language setting through all those chinese icons ... felt a bit like back in the day when some friends messed with the language settings on your Nokia Mobile :thumbsup:

After that you have to set the resolution to 640x480 (default it´s set to 800x600)
Adjusting h/v-size + colors a bit and your done

hello

i have a similar problem, no picture at all, in sega new net city toshiba monitor
pandora box 4 new version , opened up no buttons inside
connected to vga connector on pandora box 4

using river service jamma convertor

any ideas

toshiba is also suppose to be tri sync

hello

i have a similar problem, no picture at all, in sega new net city toshiba monitor
pandora box 4 new version , opened up no buttons inside
connected to vga connector on pandora box 4

using river service jamma convertor

any ideas

toshiba is also suppose to be tri sync

Tried the settings on the riverservice converter as described in the manual I posted already?

Back