What's new
Hammy was nice enough to test out my Chimera Beast conversion and confirm that it runs on actual hardware.

I've posted the patched files for Chimera Beast and 64th Street A Detective Story in the first post.

So I guess now I start learning how to route a PCB to make a 4-in-1 Multi :P
Yep Runs perfect :)

Attachments

• IMAG1332.jpg
    IMAG1332.jpg
    406.9 KB · Views: 219
A little bump on this, Had a go at porting EDF to the system C.

Got it running up to the title screen but it crashes due to a corrupt stack (caused by LNK and UNLK at 100C)
The stack pointer had to be moved to 7ffff due to less ram on the system.. Must of missed something.

If anyones interested in having a look let me know and i'll send over where it's up to, most likely a n00b mistake / tired eyes missed something.

<Edit! Problem solved, the battle continues with this one>

Last edited:
That's honestly the best compliment I could have received :D
:thumbsup: :thumbsup: Patching the mcu reponse table is the "correct" way, compared to patching or removing branches/jumps. There is always more than one way to patch a rom, but you picked the best imo ;)
Doesn't patching the mcu table lock the conversion to a specific donor?
Yeah but it's simple enough to change the values to any pcb if needed.
It's the simplest and least code tampering way as described above.

Yeah but it's simple enough to change the values to any pcb if needed.It's the simplest and least code tampering way as described above.
I aimed maximum compatibility. Patched code has no impact on gameplay.

It's just simpler for me, look at the Sega C2 conversions, there are > 15 different known security chips, I'm not going to generate all possible combinations (and equation for Ribbit! is wrong in MAME).

It's finding the middle ground sometimes.

Especially with things such as controls and visuals.

The namco NAx is another example but in that case it makes more sense to remake the keycus and run as intended for *most* of the library and 'regular' patching for the games that don't use it.

For me, it's whatever's quickest & most accurate ;)

My recollection is that the MCU has to be present and the functions it provides are used by the game. The "key" is used to unlock the mcu, so that is why changing the value is the simple approach.

But I could be mistaken, been almost 2 years since I last looked at it

There's at least one bootleg with the controls remapped, but looks like that method would require hardware mods to bypass the chip.

I would think the best way would be to replace the MCU along with all of the ROMs, as that would have no patching at all. but the MCUs aren't dumped so that's not an available option.

I don't think I'd want these conversions or a potential multi to be used on any other donor boards though. There are only 3 other games, one is a prototype and the other two are 10x the value of Big Striker So best not to encourage people to convert them IMO.

Reactions: nem
I would think the best way would be to replace the MCU along with all of the ROMs, as that would have no patching at all. but the MCUs aren't dumped so that's not an available option.

I don't think I'd want these conversions or a potential multi to be used on any other donor boards though. There are only 3 other games, one is a prototype and the other two are 10x the value of Big Striker So best not to encourage people to convert them IMO.
Makes sense, similar approach to the Major Title/Major Title 2 conversions.

I'm sorry.
I could not download the patch.
Can not you upload the patch again?

I'm sorry.
I could not download the patch.
Can not you upload the patch again?
hmm.. it seems they've disappeared.

I'll re-upload them somewhere once I'm back home later tonight, unless someone else has them and can throw them on mega or g-drive in the mean time?

Reactions: KRG
would any mega system 1 game work for this? Verting my cab when I get my chassis back from recapping I need a couple games I could play on it. Would love cybattler to be one of them.

Back