What's new
so which games other than big striker are able to be donor or is only big striker.
only Big Striker
keep in mind that there are only 4 games on this hardware platform

1. Big Striker - an uncommon but usually cheap soccer game
2. 64th Street Detective - an uncommong but very expensive (>$400) beat-em-up
3. Cybattler - an uncommon by very expensive (>$400) SHMUP
4. Chimera Beast - A prototype SHMUP (probably >$1000, but I've never seen one for sale)

so yeah. Big Striker and only Big Striker
Or get lucky and just buy #2 off ebay for a little less.... :P

Nice one! I have 2 but they have smashed ceramic customs / don't work
This hardware is way more common than the single layer effort, but has the problem of the fragile ceramics.

See what you can get going, this is quite fun to work on and some good games :)

This hardware is way more common than the single layer effort, but has the problem of the fragile ceramics.

Do you have broken 'JK-03' ceramic customs (which are used for inputs) or the 'JK-01' one?
I have reproduced the first (I still have to send design to manufacturer, I attach a 3D preview) but I can do also the latter.

Attachments

• JK-03.jpg
    JK-03.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 214
I've got a MS1A board set as well and a half dozen or so ROM boards.

P-47 seems to be the most common/easily sourced game though it's ROM board isn't useful for any other game.

From what I understand MS1A conversions SHOULD be simple there are 2 different encryption keys and games either use one or the other, so conversions to other games using the same key should be a straight ROM swap.

I tested converting Pro Yakkuu (the baseball game) to Plus Alpha and audio and program ROMs seem to work fine but my sprites were all messed up. I never figured out what my issue was. likely something simple but I moved on to other projects... maybe it's time for a revisit.

I actually started a topic about MS1A conversions/potential multi a while back here: Jaleco Mega System 1 Conversions? or Multi?

I'd think the trick to a multi would be getting the games to run unencripted.

Do you have broken 'JK-03' ceramic customs (which are used for inputs) or the 'JK-01' one?I have reproduced the first (I still have to send design to manufacturer, I attach a 3D preview) but I can do also the latter.
Yes, smashed jk03's, maybe 2 gone on each board... and more The JK02 was nicked off one to save a legend of makai.
I was searching my junk pile over the weekend and need a lot of customs that you can remake, (silkworm, konami, etc, etc).
I will send you a message or something soon regarding the matter :)

Yes, smashed jk03's, maybe 2 gone on each board... and more The JK02 was nicked off one to save a legend of makai.I was searching my junk pile over the weekend and need a lot of customs that you can remake, (silkworm, konami, etc, etc).
I will send you a message or something soon regarding the matter :)
OK, happy to help you.As for the 'JK-02' it can be reproduced as well but I miss a sample to analyze.

I've got a MS1A board set as well and a half dozen or so ROM boards.

P-47 seems to be the most common/easily sourced game though it's ROM board isn't useful for any other game.

From what I understand MS1A conversions SHOULD be simple there are 2 different encryption keys and games either use one or the other, so conversions to other games using the same key should be a straight ROM swap.

I tested converting Pro Yakkuu (the baseball game) to Plus Alpha and audio and program ROMs seem to work fine but my sprites were all messed up. I never figured out what my issue was. likely something simple but I moved on to other projects... maybe it's time for a revisit.

I actually started a topic about MS1A conversions/potential multi a while back here: Jaleco Mega System 1 Conversions? or Multi?

I'd think the trick to a multi would be getting the games to run unencripted.
Code:
	ROM_REGION( 0x080000, "scroll0", 0 ) /* Scroll 0 - scrambled */
	ROM_LOAD( "e71-14.bin", 0x000000, 0x080000, CRC(8e26ff92) SHA1(06985056027facb1d3df08cf04277492c1be6102) )

ROM_REGION( 0x080000, "scroll1", 0 ) /* Scroll 1 */
	ROM_LOAD( "e72-18.bin", 0x000000, 0x080000, CRC(0b234711) SHA1(1c5a8db28cef84434c526eab9cf9c4c123cebeea) )

ROM_REGION( 0x020000, "scroll2", 0 ) /* Scroll 2 */
	ROM_LOAD( "jsd-19.bin", 0x000000, 0x010000, CRC(25ce807d) SHA1(64accb923e9727093790c8ae8296e9ff2d04af06) )

ROM_REGION( 0x080000, "sprites", 0 ) /* Sprites - scrambled */
	ROM_LOAD( "e73-23.bin", 0x000000, 0x080000,  CRC(00ca3e04) SHA1(ea11007fc8e0b4fa702f24dd740bc0194624836c) )
As you can see, the encryption is on the GFX, Some sets have unencrypted GFX sets available etc.
It seems things have come full circle and it's back to that that point in time for your mega system 1 travels ;)

Plus alpha was not exactly a low hanging fruit to go at first, see what you can get out of rodland or something with more romsets etc to look at.
The encryption looks to be address line swapping?

Caius, have sent you a message on here hope you've seen it.

Well i'm in the home stretch of avenging spirit for the 1c, more testing all the time..

This site has some great information regarding the code mentioned above (and more about other games such as tinkle pit and rod-land):
http://sudden-desu.net/entry/phanta...ts-level-select-pause-debug-tools-art-viewers

The region byte uncovered yet more code that needed converting, but we now have a region dip selector and the different dialog / title screen available!
The avenging spirit test menu is also good. it can easily be made into a quick test rom to diagnose faulty Mega 1 A,B+C boards.

Also fixed 2 glitches in EDF, the test mode now works again and level 1 boss 100% correct now.
I had it running in cabinet for 7 hours one night this week, completed it twice etc no issues at all!

hi :

Thank you both twistedsymphony and hammy for the excellent writeup and the effort.

Kind regards
Euphoria
:)

question as i have lost track of this but are you making it so you dont need a specific board anymore to rom swap or for multi.

Last edited:
question as i have lost track of this but are you making it so you dont need a specific board anymore to rom swap or for multi.
no. you will always need a Big Striker

it's possible that some of these games might be converted for use on Mega System 1A which has a separate ROM board (meaning a multi on that platform would use any donor) and has someone working on a Multi but i honestly don't know how viable such conversions are given the differences between the 1A and the 1C

iviv been looking for a big striker for half a year. Coming up empty handed

I believe 99% of them were sold in Europe and 100% of the ones I've seen for sale were in Europe as well.

Back