What's new

Frank_fjs

Multi Boyz 4 Lyfe
Legendary
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
So I made my own system 16 adapter, works great but I have a question regarding the ordering of buttons 1,2 and 3.

I followed this pinout which seems to be universally the same on the net:

http://www.system16.com/jamma.php

When playing Shinobi, for example, the button order seems strange. Looking at control panel pictures of the original arcade, this seems to be the correct order:

Attack - B1
Jump - B2
Magic - B3

With my adapter which is wired correctly, at least according to the pinouts online, it is:

Jump - B1
Attack - B2
Magic - B3

So buttons 1 and 2 are reversed.

Am I missing something here or did Sega just wire dedicated cabs in an odd way?

Most likely the cabs were just wired that way.

@XianXi sells System16 adapters, so if anyone can confirm/deny that pinout I imagine it would be him.

I noticed his (JNX) adapters feature jumpers to alter the button layout. I assumed this was to cover System 24 which has buttons 1 and 3 reversed but maybe it's also to address the issue I described.

Also noticed that a System 16 adapter purchased elsewhere has buttons 1 and 2 reversed, as does a different brand adapter a friend has. Must be a reason for it. Just trying to determine if the pinouts posted online are incorrect or if it's to combat the way Sega control panels were wired.

Yup button pinout is dumb. If you even play Shinobi on the Pandora it’s the same pinout. Jump-Attack-Magic(magic doesn’t work on PB though)

I can’t remember if Golden Axe was correct or not off hand. Almost like there was no standard to follow when programming it in.

JNX adapter on stock jumpers as silk screened, HAS, NEO GEO AES sticks connected via DB15, all buttons good on ... edit, wait. I might be wrong. I’ll double check.

Back