What's new
Same, it's just not worth doing them by hand unless you personally need a single one.

We would have to ask someone that fabricates cables or PCBs a minimum run, or at least that's my gut feeling.

I don't mind PCB soldering, sometimes I actually find it somewhat relaxing... de-soldering on the other hand... I'd rather crimp :S

I'm going to try a Mike's Arcade one, but the best one I've ever seen is the Jasen's Customs one he was selling with his late model SuperGun.

I hit him up in Japan, but sadly he won't be able to sell more until he returns next year. Maybe someone should just copy his design, it looks simple enough.

https://forums.shoryuken.com/t/wts-...cab-super-gun-akura-dreamcast-hdmi-box/577750
I ordered one of the Mike's Arcade harnesses a few months ago after having them recommended to me, and I was not impressed. Cheap garbage fingerboards with thin wires, plus the "Top" sticker was placed on the incorrect side of the connector. I tried it with two different boards and it didn't even work. The hunt for quality continues...

If I did a DIY Kit (don't have time right now) I would simply do it with nice gauge power wires, slightly thicker grounding, 22awg or so for controls etc, shielded video and audio, perhaps mini coax or something (overkill but why not).

I do think a DIY kit is a great idea; doing one is pretty tolerable. Nobody wants to do a ton of them.

I might :) I just need to make a decision on the connector for power lines.
If you're up for non-standard uses of existing cables, would a pair of HDMI cables and PCIe-style 8-pin power connector (AMP Mini-Fit Jr?) do the trick electrically?

Last edited:
I'd rather solder than crimp!

Crimping is fine when doing it for yourself but when crimping mass lots of harnesses it becomes very tedious.

If I were bulk producing extension cables I'd be looking for a pcb based solution that utilised pre-existing cables that could just be plugged in.

Crimping is fine when doing it for yourself but when crimping mass lots of harnesses it becomes very tedious.

If I were bulk producing extension cables I'd be looking for a pcb based solution that utilised pre-existing cables that could just be plugged in.
Then what's keeping you? :D

Then what's keeping you? :D
One PCI-E 8 pin for all power and ground and one DVI-I Dual Link should be able to cover video + controls
Or dual PCI-E 8 pins if you want to run each line individually ;)

Sounds like a plan :thumbsup:

I was thinking an IDC cable. Cheap and easy to buy, easy to find PCB mount connectors for.

I was thinking an IDC cable. Cheap and easy to buy, easy to find PCB mount connectors for.
a nice sleeved IDC cable would do the trick as well and should be easily available I guess?

And separate PCI-E cable or ATX PSU cable for power lines?

Yeah that's what I'm thinking.

Two PCBs, one with the male jamma finger to insert into a jamma connector, the other identical but with a soldered on jamma edge connector.

Each pcb has 2 x connectors, a larger one for everything but power, a smaller 6/8 pin one for power.

Whatever we use has to have cheap and readily available pre-assembled cables (no crimping yay) with matching PCB mount connectors.

I'd happily design the PCB and share the files for people to produce their own adapters.

Use your imagination, but this is what I'm currently thinking.

50 pin IDC cable and 8 pin PCI cable.

-14863600001533353670.jpg
-2036146261553728647.jpg

I thought about that exact setup yesterday but my thought was the audio cable should be at least insulated and isolated.

Same for the 28 awg seems thin compared to jamma standard. What do you think ?

Back