What's new

Soulphat

Beginner
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread, but here goes. I've slowly been acquiring Sega Naomi parts and games (just got Capcom Vs SNK 2) and the idea is to mount all this in an empty Data East cabinet via a Jamma harness (the original game was E-Swat I think). I've measured the empty place where a monitor SHOULD be, and it's;
18.25" width by 14.5" height, 23" diagonal.

Where I'm stumped is that I know it needs to be 4:3 for the aspect ratio, so what non-widescreen LCD monitor should I be looking at? Also I'll take any other Jamma hardware recommendations for the remainder (speakers, Power Supply, etc.) as all my acquisitions have been Naomi hardware.

Where I'm stumped is that I know it needs to be 4:3 for the aspect ratio, so what non-widescreen LCD monitor should I be looking at?
they don't make 4:3 LCDs over 19in there is one obsolete 20in model and one obsolete 21in model, but other than that 19in is the largest you're going to find in a 4:3 aspect ratio.

@randomdoohickey: yes, almost identical except for the control panel.

@twistedsymphony I'm slowly finding out that is the case which means I'll probably be keeping my eye out for a defective local cab. I just dont want to be around the back of those things as I'm not very comfortable grounding a crt.

CRTs shouldn't be scary. yes the voltage traveling through the flyback is powerful enough to do some damage, but most "modern" CRTs have a drain-back mechanism to automatically discharge it as soon as you power it off. And even then taking some simple precautions is all you need to do.

I've done quite a big of monitor repair over the years and beyond the early 80s stuff like Pac Man and Donkey Kong it's been exceedingly rare that I've ever seen a monitor with any charge in it when I went to manually discharge it.

@randomdoohickey: yes, almost identical except for the control panel.

@twistedsymphony I'm slowly finding out that is the case which means I'll probably be keeping my eye out for a defective local cab. I just dont want to be around the back of those things as I'm not very comfortable grounding a crt.
I am the same as you! Maybe try posting a wanted add locally for someone to fix or find you a replacement CRT.. but be prepared to pay.. when I went that route, it costed me $450.

The 19" 4:3 LCD have a 16ms response time LCD which means blur up the assssssstrophisics. If Naomi 31khz is all that you will be playing, I have seen people install a 16:9 monitor..

I just dont want to be around the back of those things as I'm not very comfortable grounding a crt.
A lot of people are scared the first time they discharge a monitor. Once you pop your first anode cap you will realize it's not such a big deal. 95% of the time there is no charge.

I just have a big screwdriver with an alligator clip and done it a hundred times now.

Given how different this cabinet is from anything a Naomi would have been found in, along with the side angle of tearing up an otherwise good restoration candidate you can sell on KLOV, why not just get a supergun?

https://imgur.com/a/3yg2PAu
https://imgur.com/a/6GJ5gWW
I appreciate everyone's questions on the cabinet. I'll also keep my eye out for anybody who sells or works on arcades locally in northern california to see if they have any screens they've kept. It's not a restoration project at all, as much as building from the ground up. The cabinet itself was bought for 50 bucks, stripped. I sanded the sides, repainted it dark grey and put on the t-molding.

Back