What's new
Sorry for my delay.

I have been busy and I wanted to do some thorough testing. I have some very strange results that I don't understand yet lol.

@PascalP My apologies but I'm not sure where on the Neo-Geo I would look for my 5V setting. I see a potentiometer on it, but I though that was for audio? When I turn on the system, the supergun says it has 5.02V if that helps? If there is something specific you would like me to test, I would be happy to, I just need some instructions please.

@Darksoft I have much information for you. I will list it below. I have also made 2 videos while I was testing different SD cards. I'm sorry they are a little long, but I was trying to provide much information for you.

Here are pictures of my setup: Images
It's not plugged in because I had to take it out of my cabinet for pictures.
-The grey box under the power supply is just a plastic box. It holds the power supply up so the controller outputs on the supergun fit under it. There are 2 Super Nintendo controller adapters attached to the supergun under the grey box.
-I use SCART out of the supergun to my OSSC line doubler.
-Kick harness is plugged in, but nothing is attached to it and the ends just hang there when not in use.

Before I made the videos:
-Tested 16GB PNY SD card with Pulstar. Booted to same red text.

During Video Summary:
Strange things happened.
Tested on 32GB Samsung SD card.
-Pulstar booted to red screen in slot 1 with slot 2 & 3 empty.
-Shock Troopers and Twinkle Star both work even when more slots are used now. (Confusing)
-Magician Lord still has audio issues sometimes.
-Tried Pulstar again in slot 3. Now it works! (More confusing!)
-Load Alpha Mission 2 to slot 1, Pulstar to slot 2 and Sonic Wings 3 to slot 3. (Now Alpha Mission 2 is restarting, this game worked before in my original post video. Pulstar still works.)
-At about 8:50 in Video #2 I swap to 16GB PNY SD card.
-I try Pulstar again but the world explodes.
-Try again with Pulstar in slot 1, Alpha Mission 2 in slot 2, Blues Journey in slot 3. (Pulstar works. Alpha Mission 2 still resetting. Blues Journey seems fine except audio crackle.)

Video 1
Video 2

Other information:
-CPS2 Multi works fine without any known issues.
-CPS1 Final Fight, Guardians, Aliens, Crime Fighters, Shadow Force and Neo-Geo 161-in-1(using UNIBIOS 3.2) all work fine without any known issues.
-I tried removing and inserting the Neo-Geo Multi to make sure it was a good connection. Contacts are all clean.
-Original SD card in my first post is 32GB Samsung. Other SD card is brand new 16GB PNY. Both were formatted FAT32 prior to copying games.
-All my testing from the start of this posting has been done on OG BIOS.

WHEW!

-The grey box under the power supply is just a plastic box. It holds the power supply up so the controller outputs on the supergun fit under it. There are 2 Super Nintendo controller adapters attached to the supergun under the grey box.
-I use SCART out of the supergun to my OSSC line doubler.
That setup differs a bit of an arcade environment ;) Anyways, I'm confident the problem comes from a problem with either your setup or the cart. I honestly doubt it's the cart. Do you have a cabinet where you can test it? Do you have a different motherboard to test it? I'm just thinking of ways to narrow down the source of the problem.

A cabinet where I can test it? You mean another Neo-Geo or arcade setup? If so, no I don't know anybody near me with arcade supplies like that and I don't have another Neo-Geo :/

Sorry, not trying to be difficult!

@Paranoid_Andy if the volt meter on your supergun says 5.02v that should be correct :)

Looks like you use a ATX psu so not adjustable anyway, but you could double check if the 5.02v reported by the supergun is also present on the Jamma connector with the game running.
Just to be sure ;)

@PascalP I read you here: CPSII reset.
What feedback do you have on that Supergun? I have the feeling his setup is not getting enough juice at some moments.

Is there someone in Florida with a cabinet, close to Lakeland area that could try plugging his setup?

@PascalP I read you here: CPSII reset.
What feedback do you have on that Supergun? I have the feeling his setup is not getting enough juice at some moments.

Is there someone in Florida with a cabinet, close to Lakeland area that could try plugging his setup?
I don’t know that supergun, but the voltmeter seems on the opposite side from the Jamma connector.
So it wouldn’t hurt to verify voltage at the Jamma edge directly.

All kinds of random crazyness can happen with insufficient power :)

How many Watts is your PSU rated? Does it also mention the amperage on the 5v line?
Or do you have another ATX psu lying around you can test?

Last edited:
Wow. This is really turning out to be quite a tricky situation. I can't express enough how much I appreciate you all taking your time to help me with fixing this.

@Darksoft Here is a link to the seller of the supergun I purchased. It may have useful information?
retroelectronik

@PascalP I'm not entirely sure how to check voltage on the Jamma side when it's running, but I think I have an idea? Can you please view this picture to tell me if I have the right idea where to place the leads on my meter for testing? I have also put a circle around the power supply because I think it is the information you are looking for?
Image 1

Here is the info from the picture that I think you may want though?

DC OUTPUT: 250W

+5V / 22A MAX

+5V(FP) / 2A MAX

I do have access to extra PSUs! I also have another supergun I can try, it's the exact same model though.

Just let me know if you want me to try anything else.

Thank you again!

I would rather measure here (see attached)

It cant hurt trying with the other Supergun or PSU, although that PSU should be good enough, so problem comes IMO from either Supergun or microSD.

Attachments

• jamma5v.jpg
    jamma5v.jpg
    375.2 KB · Views: 213
Hey Dark.

I just want to be sure I do this right. Can you please tell me if this is how I should place the leads on my DMM on the supergun?
Image 1

Also, I was thinking I could record video of the DMM while I perform testing. Would you like me to do anything specific for the testing process?

Just turn the system on, then off? Or would you like me to show it running and loading games as well?

Also, I will go ahead and test using the other supergun and a different PSU at the same time. I will share my results later.

Why you take GND from another place? See here pinout of Jamma connector and take both +5V and GND from there:
Jamma_pinout.png

Why you take GND from another place? See here pinout of Jamma connector and take both +5V and GND from there:
@Darksoft Sorry. I'm new to a lot of this. I have been studying electronics for months now the best I can, however I have almost no actual experience at all, so my confidence is very low and I did not want to make any mistakes.

Thank you for showing me how to properly take a reading. I will remember the information you showed me.

Here is a video I have made of the voltage readings.
1. I power on the system.
2. I load a couple games in the menu.
3. I write the games.
4. The games load up and I test them momentarily.
5. Repeat steps 2,3,4 once more.

Sorry the audio and video are glitchy. That is because my capture card has issues if I don't reset it after powering on system but I couldn't because I was holding the test leads with my left hand.

I have not tested the other supergun and PSU yet because I wanted to see how you felt about the voltage readings first. If you want me to test those, I will do that next. I can also go buy another SD card as well.

Hi @Paranoid_Andy I have the feeling that the issue might be related to NVRAM. Did you try clearing it from BIOS (press service and press 1P start until you see a screen that requests you to press A+B+C to clear it).

It can also be a bug in the menu that when you change several slots at the same time, the menu may not reset the sound CPU properly. Can you try running a test to confirm this?

Doh

I don't think I'm doing this right. I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. I don't seem to be able to bring up the menu to clear RAM. Here is what I have tried:
-Turn on Neo-Geo, once it's at the countdown to play screen, hold down Service button on the supergun + 1P Start on controller at the same time.
-Turn on Neo-Geo, once it's at the countdown to play screen, press 1P Start first and hold it, then hold service button on supergun.
-Turn on Neo-Geo, once it's at the countdown to play screen, press service button on supergun first and hold it, then hold 1P start button on controller.
-Turn on Neo-Geo while holding down Service button on the supergun + 1P Start on controller at the same time.
-Turn on Neo-Geo, go to game selection screen, hold down Service button on the supergun + 1P Start on controller at the same time.
-Turn on Neo-Geo, start a game(Super Baseball 2020), hold down Service button on the supergun + 1P Start on controller at the same time.
-Changed to my other supergun. Then tried all steps above again. (Same results)

When I press service button, it seems to reset the entire system, but only once. Then after that, it behaves as if I have not pressed the service button. Is it supposed to take me to a Neo-Geo setup menu by chance? I seem to get that when I press the 'test' button on the supergun.

Should I make a video?

I was thinking. When I first setup the Neo-Geo Multi, it was using the UNIBIOS 3.2. I then changed it to OG BIOS because of the issue with the games running in AES mode. Maybe swapping BIOS without clearing NVRAM has caused the issues?

**EDIT**
@PascalP
Forgot to say; thanks for the confirmation on the voltage reading :D

Last edited:
you just need to press service / test button and you'll get into this menu:

Ohhh I see. My mistake. I thought you meant I needed to hold those 2 buttons down at the same time as if to access a hidden menu feature, similar to holding Right + Start to change games.

Okay I have cleared the NVRAM. I have done some more testing and it seems that most of the problems are fixed now. The only issue that has shown itself still is the audio issue. I tried from a fresh start, and changing games to different slots. It feels somewhat random and seems to always work when I switch to the game a 2nd time. Honestly, if this is the only issue at this point, then I'm totally okay with this. I'm just so happy I can play games now :D Was probably going to try a bunch out tonight again.

Would you like me to conduct any other specific tests?

I think this whole issue was because when I first setup the Multi, I had the UNIBIOS still installed, then changed it to OGBIOS without clearing the NVRAM since I didn't know that was possible.

Maybe this is something that should be included in the MVS Multi setup PDF? Also it seems the 'Next Game' and 'Return to Menu' button presses are reversed in the PDF. Or at least it's reversed on my Multi.

I think overall this issue is resolved. I'll mark it as such on the topic title after some more testing. I do appreciate everyone's help very much. Thank you for all the suggestions and patience with me. I know my lack of experience can be a little frustrating to deal with at times. Promise I'm trying!

I don't know what else to say except thank you again, all of you for your time.

I get to play Neo-Geo tonight! Woooo!!! :D

have fun! Well work on new instructions once the new menu is out.

Long overdue, but tested the Irritating Maze, game itself boots fine but lacks controls.
Going into game settings freezes the cart.

But wouldn’t make this high prio as the game is unplayable without the original hardware anyway...

Back