What's new

mugen_ketsueki

Professional
Reaction score
Trying to figure out besides using a PC monitor to get the game screen to show the game. Is there any way to make it display on a 4K smart tv? Without use of a Vp30? I seen a Youtuber manage it with MK2 but no replies from him yet. Would be helpful if anyone has attempted this or knows something.

Midway stuff uses crazy sync rates and causes all kinds of hell with scalers and VGA converters etc.

You may need a processor like the VP30/50 to get a signal the OSSC can use, but I definitely know someone who would've tried it.

Paging @jassin000

It's a matter of display compatibility, not OSSC settings. You should ask the Youtuber what display (s)he has.

oyPhKQ6.png

ALL of the above is required!

• Supergun (I'm using a HAS 3.1 with Suzo Happ 130 watt PSU)
  • Midway kick harness adapter (I'm using the JNX Raiden to adapt for CPS2/3)
  • OSSC (I'm using my 1.5 here, I also own a 1.6 but that sits inside my console cart)
  • DVDO (the VP30 with latest firmware, its also reconnecting audio because OSSC 1.5 has no DA support)
  • LG B6

OSSC Settings:

• Line 3x mode
  • generic 4:3
  • adjust V and H porch settings to center image to your liking (it will NOT fit the entire screen from top to bottom, I crop most from the bottom because of the timer in MK)
  • Scanlines Auto

DVDO Settings:

• Unlock 60.0hz
  • Unlock 50.0hz
  • Audio source RCA (only because I'm connecting audio here)
nYyq1NA.png

kcQn0ZK.jpg

These settings work with the entire Midway *-Unit family (ie Y-Unit, T-Unit, Wolf Unit).

Last edited by a moderator:
He is recommending using optimal 320x240.
This is incorrect for Mortal Kombat, as originally this game ran at 400x254.

You should be using Generic 4:3, as that is getting you within 46 pixels of the original proper aspect ratio.

4:3=400x300, and original is 400x254 for a difference of 46.

But I know why he is doing it, because you can't fit the entire top to bottom of the screen without the cropping values he is applying from advanced timings.
He is also setting V active higher than 240 (260) to compensate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Right. I haven't had a chance to try it on my end but I've seen exactly that behavior on other setups re: cropping when UMK3 is streamed via OSSC. I'll have my turn to mess around soon with my own board. Streaming Midway boards seems like a nightmare.

I spent a couple hours on this getting the full image without cropping anything out for MK and looking good. Only thing I haven’t figured out is a way to get a perfectly smooth vsync due to the weird video refresh rate (please let me know if you know how), but it’s still running a hell of a lot smoother than MAME or anything else which was one of the major reasons that got me into arcade gaming at home, outside of my favorite old games just looking, sounding, and playing great as compared to all the half-ass ports over the years and emulation.

Here are my OSSC settings running on a LG OLED55E6P that get the resolution to a very well scaled 3x by 4x (and more or less 4:3 ratio) at 1220x1016. Please note: the extra 20 horizontal lines seemed to be necessary to avoid cropping any of the image out. I confirmed using the cross-hatch pattern in the test menu of MK as well as moving around the backporch to confirm:

Video in proc >
Pre-ADC Gain: 13
[for extra brightness with scanlines]

Output opt. >
240p/288p proc: Line4x
Line4X mode: Generic 4:3
HDMI ITC: Off
[doesn’t seem to affect image on this HDTV]

Sampling opt. >
Adv. timing: 1280x240
H. active: 1220
H. backporch: 224
V. active: 254
V. backporch: 19
Allow TVP HPLL2x: On
Allow upsample2x: On

Scanline opt. >
Scanlines: On
Sl. strength: 12%
Sl. method: Multiplication
Sl. alignment: Bottom
Sl. type: Horiz. + Vert.
[All these make it look like a super-high quality arcade CRT to me. Just looks “right” :]

All else: defaults

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I strongly suggest setting your HDTV or PC monitor’s sharpness to 0 in order to prevent any color distortion on the pixels for any kind of retro game with pixel art.

@ShadowX Is this only working with that model tv? Cause i am sure that has something to do with it
Yes, different TVs/monitors have different capabilities in terms of unusual resolutions and stuff. I’m pretty happy with the flexibility the LG OLEDs seem to have not to mention picture quality and low lag! Strongly recommend ‘em, but beware of burn-in. I already got mine a bit. Bloody SWTOR and Zelda: Breath of the Wild!

Anyway, pretty much what I did was start with defaults in Line5x or Line4x and then tweaked them until A) the picture doesn’t blank out and B) it’s scaled to ratio, e.g. about 1.33333 (4x3 aspect). 1220 / 1016 is about 1.2, so close enough for me :> I also divided the vertical resolutions I ended up with the original games to ensure they’re to scale or close to also help make sure I was on track. I got a perfectly scaled CPS1 scaling profile dialed in too, btw. I still need to write that one down.

Last edited:
Back