What's new

mugen_ketsueki

Professional
Reaction score
Having all the midway games on one board? That be awesome if something like this can happen.

Midway games from which system? They had a few. Unfortunately a lot of them were one off, but there are some that had multiple games on the same system

- T-Unit and Y-Unit (MK1, MK2, NBA Jam, Smash TV etc.) can't be converted at this time, and there are multiple variations in the hardware making a multi difficult

- Wolf Unit can be converted between MK3/UMK3/Open Ice/NBA Jam Hangtime/Rampage World Tour/Wrestlemania using the AnyU64 PROM

- V Unit (Cruis'n USA, World, Off Road Challenge) conversions were looked into but I don't think they went anywhere. Security chips are different between games

- Seattle, Quicksilver etc. are generally custom designed for individual games, I think Seattle had some conversion attempts made on it

What's up with the board? I have loads here that are missing <socketed> customs, if your customs work one of these here might be a viable repair if yours is too far gone..

T unit multi is possible but too much work patching the MK / NBA games (needs multiple plays of lots of combinations)

I think the Wolf unit is the most likely candidate due to the AnyU64 PROM.

I think for the Y or T Unit multis to work we'd want to look at a universal security chip that could run the upatched ROMs.

These games use a TON of ROMs though, to do a "simple" multi like what Apocalypse has done on his would require a huge PCB covered in 27c322s :whistling:

What's up with the board? I have loads here that are missing <socketed> customs, if your customs work one of these here might be a viable repair if yours is too far gone..
I'm inclined to think it has a bad solder joint somewhere, just haven't spent the time to try and solve it. The board has a bad warp from being in a stack of pcbs before it found the good life in my collection :D

I think the Wolf unit is the most likely candidate due to the AnyU64 PROM.
True story. I came up with a better solution to boot any of the games without having to patch or modify the roms (also worth a mention I made the AnyU64 roms)

Thinking a bit more about the T-Unit and Y-Unit stuff... there is also the issue with Audio boards.

On Y-Unit:
Smash TV, High Impact, Super High Impact, Trog, and Strike Force use the early style (2-heat sync) Analog Audio board.
MK1, T2, and Total Carnage use the late style (1-heat sync) Analog Audio Board.

On Y-Unit:
MK1, NBA Jam, and NBA Jam TE use the late style (1-heat sync) Analog Audio Board.
MK2 uses the Digital Audio Board.

I'm not sure how similar the audio hardware is but for a true multi of either of these systems to work you'd be looking at porting the audio code of some games.

FWIW I've got all of these games except for Trog, Strike Force and Total Carnage, if anyone needs me to test anything :P

wonder if it's worth to recreate the sound board and make 1 for all? Schematics are availible for all variants I think.. any custom components? Or hard to source? Hmm.. need to check into this :). Only got a NBA JAM + non working soundboard, and a high impact mainboard.

Would be nice to convert the high impact to Mk1 or 2

MK2 is the only game to use DCS, so no other games will be able to be converted to that

High Impact could technically be converted to Strike Force, Trog, Smash TV etc which are awesome and given the price they sell for a much better conversion option than MK1 which would require more work due to the different sound board and it's available cheaper.

MK2 is the only game to use DCS, so no other games will be able to be converted to that

High Impact could technically be converted to Strike Force, Trog, Smash TV etc which are awesome and given the price they sell for a much better conversion option than MK1 which would require more work due to the different sound board and it's available cheaper.
Did you ever looking into conversions for High Impact or Super High Impact into Trog, Smash TV, etc... I have both boards and they seem to be identical to at least Smash TV which I would love to convert one of these to.

I don't have one of the compatible boards, I've only ever had MK1, NBA Jam and MK2 - I've got a working MK2 at the moment, 3 MK1/NBA Jam sound boards and a non working NBA Jam at the moment

The biggest issue is the security chips, the games would need to be patched - no idea why they haven't been already, not sure if it's possible. @brizzo @twistedsymphony @Apocalypse or @caius would be the ones to speak to about that off the top of my head

I really want a Smash TV, one day :(

I don't have one of the compatible boards, I've only ever had MK1, NBA Jam and MK2 - I've got a working MK2 at the moment, 3 MK1/NBA Jam sound boards and a non working NBA Jam at the moment

The biggest issue is the security chips, the games would need to be patched - no idea why they haven't been already, not sure if it's possible. @brizzo @twistedsymphony @Apocalypse or @caius would be the ones to speak to about that off the top of my head

I really want a Smash TV, one day :(
Well, to me both High Impact and Super High Impact seem identical down to every single component between the 2 and comparing them to the Smash TV pcb pics online they all seem to be the same. If anyone wants to work on a conversion I can send them the High Impact board to test on. @twistedsymphony & @brizzo are the closest to me and I have stuff to send to both of them so.....which one of you guys wants to tackle this :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Smash TV is on the same PCB as Trog, High Impact etc. but MK1 and NBA Jam are different is my understanding (NBA Jam definitely is)

Smash TV is on the same PCB as Trog, High Impact etc. but MK1 and NBA Jam are different is my understanding (NBA Jam definitely is)
Good to know, I never looked into conversions the midway stuff like this. They always seem to go bad, so never really bother to pick much of the games. The high impact stuff came in lot purchases so kept them for spare parts since they are not worth much, but if I can convert them :D

Did anything come of this thread?

I have recently gotten a Smash TV and Total Carnage and love 'em both, but a multi of this type is interesting. These boards do seem to go bad if you look at them funny. Wouldn't mind having a back-up option.

I have recently gotten a Smash TV and Total Carnage and love 'em both, but a multi of this type is interesting
As discussed a multi supporting both of these games isn't possible due to different motherboard revisions and sound board combos used.
The best we could hope for would be a Midway Wolf Unit multi... Due to the integrated sound hardware, all games on this platform could potentially be supported.
  • 2 On 2 Open Ice Challenge
  • Mortal Kombat 3
  • NBA Hangtime
  • NBA Maximum Hangtime
  • Rampage World Tour
  • Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
  • WWF Wrestlemania
Now I'll break down why no one gives fuck (first reason you already nailed, hardware is sketchy)...
  • Open Ice is OK, but NBA Jam and Jam TE blow this away, even NFL Blitz is a better "extreme/alternative" sports game
  • NBA Hangtime, see above coments about Jam/Jam TE
  • Maximum Hangtime same deal its all about Jam/Jam TE
  • Rampage World Tour, truly awesome best game on the hardware hands down (I owned it but it died because YES the hardware sucks)
  • MK3/UMK3, crap first of the MK games to jump the shark, dial-a-combos are for unskilled children, MK2 now and forever amen
  • WWF is OK, I liked the Naomi game better
The games people actually want to play on Midway hardware...
  • Narc
  • T2
  • Smash TV
  • Total Carnage
  • MK
  • MK2
  • NBA Jam/TE
NONE of these are on Wolf :sleeping:

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey now. I’d get a multi for Wolf. Easy swaps between mk3,ukm3, and umk3+, and I could get my rampage on from time to time. But I am an admitted unskilled child that likes mk3 and have a slight multi addiction, too. I’ve been know to play a sports title here and there... sign me up!

UMK3+ is awesome, the other revisions suck.

MK+/MK2+ again, great.

Trog is awesome and I would like to swap between it and the Prototype which is awesome in its own way.

Many of the other games, I'd like to try. Didn't know this about RWT, that good huh? Well I"ll have to try it out!

Hardware does seem to suck as far as reliability goes.

More pressure on creators for a multi!

Back