What's new
MK3 was a joke, it didn't take its self seriously and went for pure flash.
Dial-a-combos were a big part of that, also bodys exploding apart into 3 (or more) torsos and a pile a 6 arms, it was clear it was all done for lolz.
Only I didn't think it was funny.

I count 5 legs and 4 arms in this explosion... Its like they just stopped trying. :rolleyes:
hqdefault.jpg

Meeting notes from MK3 pitch: "This is cool and everything, but I can't help but think we need a few more spines to make it more extreme!"
best-mortal-kombat-fatalities-sub-zero-spine-rip-mk1.jpg

"and at least 4 or 5 moar hearts, EXTREME!"
best-mortal-kombat-fatalities-kano-heart-rip-mk1-800x533.jpg

Hey Midway team... How about NO! :cursing:
I made this handy chart to help you quickly identify MK series game quality...
Go0TlQt.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
You can't rate Trilogy worse than MK3/UMK3 if it also contains MK1/2!

Hmm, I agree, after 2 it was downhill, but what's the argument for MK3 being better than UMK3?

Also, def try UMK3+, they've worked hard to un-suck it. But, regardless, at the end the the day, it's the best version of UMK3, which, for some, is just polishing a turd.

MK2 is my favorite, but b/c of MK+, I've started enjoying MK1 a bit.

Are you in the dev team? I didn't think MK+ was released yet.

I remember going to funspot the first day they had MK2 on the arcade floor, then when MK3 dropped and again when the Ultimate update came out. I was a bit underwhelmed by MK3 when it first came out mostly I felt the roster was a little weak and the cheese-ball stuff was lame. Whey the released the Ultimate update is when I really started to enjoy it. I seem to remember at the time they were talking about there being regular updates to expand the game but it never happened.

I always hated the goofy exploding fatalities and other cheesy stuff, but as far as gameplay I thought the dial-a-combos were a great addition since they served as ways to link special moves and juggles to make more expansive regular combos. the refined 2D graphics, fast paced gameplay that I felt built off of the previous games in a good way, and a really great roster of characters it's still my favorite MK game.

Trilogy was a steaming pile of turd though... Jassin is right about that :P

overall I'd rank the franchise like this:

2D Ranked:
  1. UMK3
  2. MK2
  3. MK1
  4. MK3
  5. MKTrilogy

3D Ranked:
  1. MK9
  2. MKX
  3. MK11
  4. MK Deception
  5. MK Deadly Alliance
  6. MK Armageddon
  7. MK4
  8. MKGold
  9. .
  10. .
  11. .
  12. .
  13. MK vs DC

Last edited:
Are you in the dev team? I didn't think MK+ was released yet.
No, I think you can download it via a supporter pledge, but I'm holding off as Paul is still working on it and I don't have an easy way to burn EPROMs, so I want the mostly final build before I mess with it.

I've gotten into standard MK1 more while watching his videos working on MK+.

I've come to appreciate the game a lot more, but it's still not as good as MK2 yet.

I've come to appreciate the game a lot more, but it's still not as good as MK2 yet.
MK1 lacks the deep combos/game play of 2.
All the characters are basically the same with only minor variations in hit boxes around moves and a few unique specials tossed in.

Its fun to play and thats what really matters, but sophisticated its not.
2D Ranked:
  1. UMK3
  2. MK2
  3. MK1
  4. MK3
  5. MKTrilogy
If you'd just move UMK3 down 2 spots I totally agree!
ie...
  1. MK2
  2. MK1
  3. UMK3
  4. MK3
  5. MKT

I love UMK3 and MK2 but for different reasons so I personally put them both at the same level of awesome. Much the same as KoF'98 and 2002

MK1 is great but 2 is better in every possible way.

You know MKII is the best when they named the new one MK11 instead of MKXI.

You know MKII is the best when they named the new one MK11 instead of MKXI.
Interesting....
there have been 3 (or 4) games that used Roman Numerals:

MK II
MK V: Dark Alliance
MK X/MKXL

There have been 3 (or 4) games that used normal numbers:
MK 3/UMK3
MK 4
MK 11

But most MK games have no number at all:
MK (1)
MK Trilogy
MK Gold
MK Deception
MK Armagaddon
MK vs DC
MK (9)/MK (9) KE

@twistedsymphony - The reason I said that is because the logo can be mistaken for a II instead of an 11 due to the font.

Mk2-1.png

23-mortal-kombat-11-aftermaths-new-story-mode-content-will-add-five.jpg

Some crafty subliminal messaging, eh?

I don't see it, "11" will always look similar to "II" but there's nothing about the font that make me think it was referencing MK2, I mean, it doesn't even have serifs, if anything they went out their way to make the font NOT look like MK2

MK logos go with whatever looks cool and fits the theme, 11 looks like two spikes. XI doesn't distinguish itself enough from the XL release that came before.

I don't see it, "11" will always look similar to "II" but there's nothing about the font that make me think it was referencing MK2, I mean, it doesn't even have serifs, if anything they went out their way to make the font NOT look like MK2
It's not necessarily about whether you, specifically, see it or not. You either see it or you don't. It's subliminal, so there's definitely a level of subjectivity depending on the perception of the viewer.

Doesn't make anyone more or less. It's just how their individual mind works.

I'll tell you this much, if you set it next to each other and analyze it, you'll find all the differences and more. It works when you're mind hasn't completely deciphered it, like seeing it out of the corner of your eye, catching it from an angle, a quick scroll by, etc.

There's a whole section of marketing and psychology devoted to this phenomenon.

Back