Possible for a Midway Multi?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Midway games from which system? They had a few. Unfortunately a lot of them were one off, but there are some that had multiple games on the same system

- T-Unit and Y-Unit (MK1, MK2, NBA Jam, Smash TV etc.) can't be converted at this time, and there are multiple variations in the hardware making a multi difficult

- Wolf Unit can be converted between MK3/UMK3/Open Ice/NBA Jam Hangtime/Rampage World Tour/Wrestlemania using the AnyU64 PROM

- V Unit (Cruis'n USA, World, Off Road Challenge) conversions were looked into but I don't think they went anywhere. Security chips are different between games

- Seattle, Quicksilver etc. are generally custom designed for individual games, I think Seattle had some conversion attempts made on it
    • I think the Wolf unit is the most likely candidate due to the AnyU64 PROM.

I think for the Y or T Unit multis to work we'd want to look at a universal security chip that could run the upatched ROMs.

These games use a TON of ROMs though, to do a "simple" multi like what Apocalypse has done on his would require a huge PCB covered in 27c322s :whistling:
      Buy My 3D Printed Parts: bit-district.com
      Follow my projects: instagram | blog
      My PCB list: VAPS
      My Cabs: VOOT | RFM | Vewlix F| FiF Jr. | KI2 | UMK3 | E29 | E29| Net City | DDR
    • Hammy wrote:

What's up with the board? I have loads here that are missing <socketed> customs, if your customs work one of these here might be a viable repair if yours is too far gone..
      I'm inclined to think it has a bad solder joint somewhere, just haven't spent the time to try and solve it. The board has a bad warp from being in a stack of pcbs before it found the good life in my collection :D

twistedsymphony wrote:

I think the Wolf unit is the most likely candidate due to the AnyU64 PROM.
      True story. I came up with a better solution to boot any of the games without having to patch or modify the roms (also worth a mention I made the AnyU64 roms)
    • Thinking a bit more about the T-Unit and Y-Unit stuff... there is also the issue with Audio boards.

On Y-Unit:
      Smash TV, High Impact, Super High Impact, Trog, and Strike Force use the early style (2-heat sync) Analog Audio board.
      MK1, T2, and Total Carnage use the late style (1-heat sync) Analog Audio Board.

On Y-Unit:
      MK1, NBA Jam, and NBA Jam TE use the late style (1-heat sync) Analog Audio Board.
      MK2 uses the Digital Audio Board.

I'm not sure how similar the audio hardware is but for a true multi of either of these systems to work you'd be looking at porting the audio code of some games.

FWIW I've got all of these games except for Trog, Strike Force and Total Carnage, if anyone needs me to test anything :P
      Buy My 3D Printed Parts: bit-district.com
      Follow my projects: instagram | blog
      My PCB list: VAPS
      My Cabs: VOOT | RFM | Vewlix F| FiF Jr. | KI2 | UMK3 | E29 | E29| Net City | DDR
    • I too am incredibly interested in a Wolf-multi.
      A little google-fu pulled up a couple interesting links...

Some data for U64
      mediafire.com/file/ib5wgima9qg…f_unit_any-u64rompack.zip

And these videos...

Videogame Historian, no cab consolization pleb.
      Have : NeoSD-MV1|FF-CPS1|DS-CPS2/CPS3|DS-STV|Naomi2-Pi|Namco S12|Y-Unit|GX875
      Bench : GX064 | SG-VC990 Scaler
      WANT : Night Slashers, TMNT1/2, MK2, UMK3, Simpsons, Contra
      ADD ME on Twitter! | Instagram Life Feed : Food, Gear, Cars!
    • wonder if it's worth to recreate the sound board and make 1 for all? Schematics are availible for all variants I think.. any custom components? Or hard to source? Hmm.. need to check into this :). Only got a NBA JAM + non working soundboard, and a high impact mainboard.

Would be nice to convert the high impact to Mk1 or 2
    • MK2 is the only game to use DCS, so no other games will be able to be converted to that

High Impact could technically be converted to Strike Force, Trog, Smash TV etc which are awesome and given the price they sell for a much better conversion option than MK1 which would require more work due to the different sound board and it's available cheaper.
    • New

xodaraP wrote:

MK2 is the only game to use DCS, so no other games will be able to be converted to that

High Impact could technically be converted to Strike Force, Trog, Smash TV etc which are awesome and given the price they sell for a much better conversion option than MK1 which would require more work due to the different sound board and it's available cheaper.
      Did you ever looking into conversions for High Impact or Super High Impact into Trog, Smash TV, etc... I have both boards and they seem to be identical to at least Smash TV which I would love to convert one of these to.

Wanted: Egret II,StarTrek/Metallica Pinball,Egret 29 CP Housing,Capcom Spinners
    • New

I don't have one of the compatible boards, I've only ever had MK1, NBA Jam and MK2 - I've got a working MK2 at the moment, 3 MK1/NBA Jam sound boards and a non working NBA Jam at the moment

The biggest issue is the security chips, the games would need to be patched - no idea why they haven't been already, not sure if it's possible. @brizzo @twistedsymphony @Apocalypse or @caius would be the ones to speak to about that off the top of my head

I really want a Smash TV, one day :(
    • New

xodaraP wrote:

I don't have one of the compatible boards, I've only ever had MK1, NBA Jam and MK2 - I've got a working MK2 at the moment, 3 MK1/NBA Jam sound boards and a non working NBA Jam at the moment

The biggest issue is the security chips, the games would need to be patched - no idea why they haven't been already, not sure if it's possible. @brizzo @twistedsymphony @Apocalypse or @caius would be the ones to speak to about that off the top of my head

I really want a Smash TV, one day :(
      Well, to me both High Impact and Super High Impact seem identical down to every single component between the 2 and comparing them to the Smash TV pcb pics online they all seem to be the same. If anyone wants to work on a conversion I can send them the High Impact board to test on. @twistedsymphony & @brizzo are the closest to me and I have stuff to send to both of them so.....which one of you guys wants to tackle this :thumbsup:

The post was edited 2 times, last by Derick2k ().

• New

xodaraP wrote:

Smash TV is on the same PCB as Trog, High Impact etc. but MK1 and NBA Jam are different is my understanding (NBA Jam definitely is)
      Good to know, I never looked into conversions the midway stuff like this. They always seem to go bad, so never really bother to pick much of the games. The high impact stuff came in lot purchases so kept them for spare parts since they are not worth much, but if I can convert them :D