Chat?

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• Really .. do you guys really want someone like me in a chat room at 2AM rambling away drunk?
      -My Stuff-
      Namco Sys 11 (Tek1&2 Ver.B, SE Ver.2 )
      Namco Sys 12 (Ehrgeiz, Tek3, TekTT, SC)
      Namco Sys 246 (Tek4, SC 2, some Gundam Games)
      Namco Sys 256 (Tek5 DR, more Gundam games)

Sega Showcase (TTX2 Multi)
      NeoGeo (161in1)
      Burgertime (Dedicated)
      Capcom Big Blue (HyerSpin)
      Namco cab (2x6 Multi)
      Dynamo HS-5 (Taito F3 Bust-A-Move Again)
      Atomiswave (Ranger Mission)
      Atomiswave (Naomi2 NetBoot)
      Area 51 (Dedicated)
      Z Back (Empty)
      Space Invaders Cocktail (Empty)
      Capt America and The Avengers (Dedicated)
    • brizzo wrote:

Nah, having chat takes away from the forum in my opinion. Already lots of other places to chat about arcades with people
      we entertained chat before (Chat box?), and this was a lasting opinion. we like having everything end up in the forum, rather than in a chat log buried for all time. chat also creates a 'people who know X because they were in the chat when it was discussed' set of members, and the rest are out of the loop. I have like 500+ unread posts right now, but I can catch up anytime I get the extra time... and i like that personally.
      have multi: cps* ttx2 st-v gnet f3 mvs sega c2 sys2x6 naomi(netboot)
      want multi: pgm sys16/18/32 m72/92 atomiswave seattle supernova jms32 naomi(cart) namco na-1/2 namco sys10/11/12
      cabs: blast city x2, vewlix c
      klov games list | custom fight sticks
      current project(s): gamecube stuff
    • brizzo wrote:

Nah, having chat takes away from the forum in my opinion.
      Also worth mentioning, live chat is more "raw" and can easily demand a very active (24/7) moderation to remain respectful/civil. ;)

Dreygor wrote:

do you guys really want someone like me in a chat room at 2AM rambling away drunk?
      Oops, my bad... It WAS already mentioned. :P
      Darksoft: CPS3, ST-V, CPS2, F3, MVS
      RGB: RECO v2, HAS v3

[genesis] [segacd] [saturn] [dreamcast_ss] [nes-101] [snes] [n64] [gamecube] [pce] [pcecd] [psx]

The post was edited 2 times, last by jassin000 ().

• ekorz wrote:

brizzo wrote:

Nah, having chat takes away from the forum in my opinion. Already lots of other places to chat about arcades with people
      we entertained chat before (Chat box?), and this was a lasting opinion. we like having everything end up in the forum, rather than in a chat log buried for all time. chat also creates a 'people who know X because they were in the chat when it was discussed' set of members, and the rest are out of the loop. I have like 500+ unread posts right now, but I can catch up anytime I get the extra time... and i like that personally.
      I have to agree. Then there's the aspect of trades happening in chat too giving others no chance. Already have a shit time being awake when postings go live.
      My Cabs: Blast City | Blast City | Egret 2 | Windy II | Neogeo 6 Slot
    • radiantsvgun wrote:

Sure, toss a couple and talk shop. You're the only one I've seen with USA AW cabs, and I'd like to know more about them.
      Finisterre has a couple now also .. well one and a half. Well .. your in Georgia also.
      -My Stuff-
      Namco Sys 11 (Tek1&2 Ver.B, SE Ver.2 )
      Namco Sys 12 (Ehrgeiz, Tek3, TekTT, SC)
      Namco Sys 246 (Tek4, SC 2, some Gundam Games)
      Namco Sys 256 (Tek5 DR, more Gundam games)

Sega Showcase (TTX2 Multi)
      NeoGeo (161in1)
      Burgertime (Dedicated)
      Capcom Big Blue (HyerSpin)
      Namco cab (2x6 Multi)
      Dynamo HS-5 (Taito F3 Bust-A-Move Again)
      Atomiswave (Ranger Mission)
      Atomiswave (Naomi2 NetBoot)
      Area 51 (Dedicated)
      Z Back (Empty)
      Space Invaders Cocktail (Empty)
      Capt America and The Avengers (Dedicated)
    • Dreygor wrote:

radiantsvgun wrote:

Sure, toss a couple and talk shop. You're the only one I've seen with USA AW cabs, and I'd like to know more about them.
      Finisterre has a couple now also .. well one and a half. Well .. your in Georgia also.
      I didn't see your location. I'm north GA, Powder Springs. Not a lot of GA users into arcade.

invzim wrote:

There is always IRC, arcadeotaku on irc.slashnet.org. Pretty quiet there last few years though, could use a few more users..
      Didn't know that was still around. Next time I do midnights I'll pop in.
      My IG, mostly Arcade stuff
      Cabs: Egret 2, Egret 3, New Astro, New Net, Neo 25, Vewlix DIA, Vewlix AMI
    • invzim wrote:

There is always IRC

DecepticonZero wrote:

Chat deals have always been a thing as far back as I remember.
      I do miss this aspect of chat, I've still got a mIRC script that listens for a PM keyword of "sale" and responds by typing out the contents of a things-4-sale.txt file. :)
      Darksoft: CPS3, ST-V, CPS2, F3, MVS
      RGB: RECO v2, HAS v3

[genesis] [segacd] [saturn] [dreamcast_ss] [nes-101] [snes] [n64] [gamecube] [pce] [pcecd] [psx]
    • Here is my 2 cent as someone who has been part of a nearly 20 year old community (German fighting game community 'HardEdge') and right now its safe to say that that having a discord pretty much killed the forums with exception of a meetings section. I am aware that it might not be 100% applicable to this community but there are some things to consider.

The very first problem is finding information inside a discord log which is a royal pain in the ass. Also people tend to pin information onto the channel header or dropping wiki, twitter, links in a separate 'knowledge channel' and that's not doing them any favor in the long run. After a couple of months that practice turns out to be a very bad idea. the take away is simply: such a platform not made for structured information but a lot of communities are trying to shoehorn it into one.

The second problem is that the entire chat log isn't crawled by google which is good! (lol) and also bad at the same time. Someone who is searching for information a specific topic/problem will be lost. Lets say someone explains very crucial information to a specific arcade hardware problem. Unless this chat log isn't ported to a wiki or pinned that information will become more or less lost. A message board like woltlab bb is very good at providing information to the crawler and making those threads searchable through google. A chat on the other hand is more a "you had to be there" thing. At least one can backtrack discord logs

Needless to say that discord is has become very popular over the last two years but there are a couple things that concern me personally like not having full control over the server and its storage of data/logs itself. Its just a service at this point and a dubious one at that like their recent tos clause that forbids lawsuits against them. Also not to mention all those custom emoji and nitro premium membership, game store kids play that results in spamming. Of course there a positive things like having a quite good mobile app and integrated voice channel functions

Our situation right now feels like we lost more than we gained and it saddens me to a degree because at this point this recent development contradicts the idea of having very good structured information on old (fighting) games and tech for years to come. At least our wiki is unaffected.

also maybe i am getting to old for this stuff rants over