What's new
Mame is just a pile of stolen work. I want it to become a community project again.

The point was never to play the games. It was to document and preserve the works.

I use GroovyArcade only for research work, but it's still my favorite live boot option to this day.

My simple advice. Do Not buy crappy programmers. Cheapest isn't always the best solution. Look at compatibility, if adapters are required, what ICs you are planning for. A cheap burner that requires adapters for just common EPROM sizes can push you into a mid level burner that doesn't require the adapters.

When you have a burner completely fail that has less than 20 successful writes on it and their customer support is unwilling to even work with you its time to move on:
IMG_0641.JPG

You might laugh or make jokes, but I really do intend this to be the "5 year old's guide to arcade service manuals" eventually.

It's still me, so, jokes away boys ;)
yes please, that whole stuff is still completely new to me, so i'm really looking forward to this one :thumbup:

You might laugh or make jokes, but I really do intend this to be the "5 year old's guide to arcade service manuals" eventually.

It's still me, so, jokes away boys ;)
yes please, that whole stuff is still completely new to me, so i'm really looking forward to this one :thumbup:
Respect my schedule, and it will come.

-skate

no worries,

everyone who has ever tried to write something like this knows exactly how difficult and time consuming it is.

I've had a couple of different devices. As mentioned, the TL866 is great for the small stuff. The QG-4X is a major POS. I had whole stacks of M27C160 that failed to write on that device. Thought I was getting bad batches of EPROMs. Now I run all my stuff on a Xeltek 610P and it is excellent. All those M27C160 work fine now and it does not required an adapter for the bigger EPROMs.

Got my licensing today to compile PIC chips to further "work" on lindbergh key replacement for Arcade OPs. (already done in mame... doing it right TM).

https://www.microchipdirect.com/product/search/all/sw006023-sub

If you want to compile your own PIC code, it's only $30/month for a software license to do it right (TM). I think I'll let that subscription ride for a while.

WARNING: Bought this EPROM eraser from aliexpress. Plugged it in, had it on for about 2 minutes at which point it started sparking, crackling and then it went bang with a flash and died a electrical smelly death. Will be looking at something better made for sure and recommend you do the same!

DANGEROUS.JPG

My simple advice. Do Not buy crappy programmers. Cheapest isn't always the best solution. Look at compatibility, if adapters are required, what ICs you are planning for. A cheap burner that requires adapters for just common EPROM sizes can push you into a mid level burner that doesn't require the adapters.

When you have a burner completely fail that has less than 20 successful writes on it and their customer support is unwilling to even work with you its time to move on:
IMG_0641.JPG
Hey @ReplicaX what price range for programmers would you say is mid level.

Hey @ReplicaX what price range for programmers would you say is mid level.
For the hobby and even mid-level use I'd say $350 - $600 range. High end is $700 - $1000. Then you are getting into industry programmers at that point, which I see no one here getting into.

WARNING: Bought this EPROM eraser from aliexpress. Plugged it in, had it on for about 2 minutes at which point it started sparking, crackling and then it went bang with a flash and died a electrical smelly death. Will be looking at something better made for sure and recommend you do the same!

DANGEROUS.JPG
Thanks for reporting.

I have the exact same EPROM eraser, been using it for 2 years without issues, but I'll definitely keep an eye on it and think about replacing. Sometimes I just leave it erasing EPROMs and go out for a walk. Bad idea.

I went with a 20 year old model of eraser I bought off of ebay. Simple design but holds 30 eproms and uses the readily available UV growers tubes. Got it off ebay a few years ago.

this big ass moon eraser died on me twice after 30 minutes, after that I understood why I don't want to rely anymore on anything with the word CHINA bigger than the device's name

Back