What's new
Next question: In theory, the InfiniKey should be the most economical way (in terms of tooling setup) to return a suicided B-board to battery operation?

If one were to fashion a small quick disconnect harness, maybe with dupont wires, for the InfiniKey's solder joints (for easy removal). Boot the dead board with the InfiniKey installed via wire harness. Let the encryption keys be inserted, restoring the board to original battery operation. Once properly booted, let game board run for some time (ooh, 30 minutes or so) to charge the caps. Shut down power. Install a new battery within 2 minutes. Remove the InfiniKey via the harness. Boot board with newly installed battery to confirm functional battery operation. Finally, unsolder wire harness from B-board.

Should work too, right?
No need to wait, but yes:

- Swap battery
- Install Infinikey
- Cycle power (no need to wait longer than it takes for the game to boot)
- Remove Infinikey

Keep in mind each game has different InfiniKey game select jumpers, so you'd have to set those appropriately for every game you wish to revive. I have one with an 8x dipswitch bank and CN9 female connector soldered to it, for this very purpose.

I know it is counter-intuitive. But I am sure there are purists out there that would stick to battery operation.
Lol, I cannot fathom anyone preferring to keep a ticking time-bomb in their game vs leaving the InfiniKey installed. Actually, I take that back: I can see repair shops leaving batteries in so people keep sending them back for $30 battery change service.
-ud

Alrighty bud, one last question. Us responsible CPS2 B-board owners have swapped out our batteries and added labels with the surgery dates to let us know when we have to do this again in the future. We don't need to do that anymore. But how about an official undamned CPS2 Infinikey logo we can print out and slap on the boards so that it can be known that this board doesn't need to be troubled with again?

CPS2_Label.JPG

Just a heads up for any Aussies wanting some of these, @sneek and I have purchased a batch to distribute in Aus. Will post some details when they arrive.

Just a heads up for any Aussies wanting some of these, @sneek and I have purchased a batch to distribute in Aus. Will post some details when they arrive.
Yeah, boy! Should be there early next week! Paradise Arcade just received theirs (I'll post a link when they get them up) and VideoGamePerfection should have theirs soon as tracking shows they've hit the UK :D
-ud

To clarify the install... Referring to the install pics in opening post...

On the Infinkey PCB there's a jumper labelled 'opened for rev5' - But it's also left open on rev3/4 boards? Does it only need to be closed for rev6/7 boards?

On rev3/4 install external power is supplied with a +5V and ground tap. On rev5 only +5V wire is run, so guessing ground is coming from CN9?

To clarify the install... Referring to the install pics in opening post...

On the Infinkey PCB there's a jumper labelled 'opened for rev5' - But it's also left open on rev3/4 boards? Does it only need to be closed for rev6/7 boards?

On rev3/4 install external power is supplied with a +5V and ground tap. On rev5 only +5V wire is run, so guessing ground is coming from CN9?
The Rev.5 jumper is simply to keep the power pin on CN9 disconnected on Rev.5 PCBs. Since Rev.3/4 don't use CN9 at all, it doesn't matter how the Rev.5 jumper is set when in stalled on those. So yeah, only necessary on Rev.6/7 and all-in-one black.

Yeah, Rev.5 gets GND from CN9.
Where can i get one in Canada?
You could order from Paradise Arcade (or if you want the best deal on 10 or more, you can order directly from me).
-ud

I want to order from paradisearcadeshop.com but their shipping to Canada is ridiculous. 23 US. I have shipped Mechanical keyboards from Canada to USA for that much. Not to mention I ordered 12 Sanwa Buttons and JoyStick from Focus Attack and only paid 17 US.

Back