What's new
Hi.

I've got an issue with a European Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo board (SFXE). It was previously working.
It's a rev 4 board and I installed it as shown, soldering jumpers 7, 2, and the power jumper, but all I get is a blue screen.

The battery has been removed, the little cap has been discharge, and I've checked that both DL-1827 and DL-1525 are getting a solid 5v on both Vcc and Vpp and the Infinikey is getting a good 5v (Measured 4.4v on the chip direct). I've tried all other permutations of the SFX codes and all open.

Any ideas? What are the chances of the Infinikey being a dud?
Sadly I don't have an EPROM reader to check the contents.

Hi.

I've got an issue with a European Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo board (SFXE). It was previously working.
It's a rev 4 board and I installed it as shown, soldering jumpers 7, 2, and the power jumper, but all I get is a blue screen.

The battery has been removed, the little cap has been discharge, and I've checked that both DL-1827 and DL-1525 are getting a solid 5v on both Vcc and Vpp and the Infinikey is getting a good 5v (Measured 4.4v on the chip direct). I've tried all other permutations of the SFX codes and all open.

Did you add the GND and +5V wires (see the photo in the first post of this thread)?
-ud

Hi.

Did you add the GND and +5V wires (see the photo in the first post of this thread)?-ud
Yes as shown in the picture, the Infinikey is getting 5v.

What power supply/cab are you using? Have you got another one you can try to rule out a weak PSU?

What power supply/cab are you using? Have you got another one you can try to rule out a weak PSU?
I've tried with a good 750w PC power supply and an arcade cabinet power supply. I'm currently testing this using a supergun.

Just as an experiment, try with no game selection jumpers set (no solder blobs).
-ud

Just as an experiment, try with no game selection jumpers set (no solder blobs).-ud
I gave it a try, no joy. Looks like it is encrypted.
The bits to make a security reprogrammer have arrived so I'm going to give that a shot after sticking a replacement battery in, see if I can get any life out of it that way.

Edit: Tried reprogramming the keys without any luck. I get a white screen on power on, then a blue screen if I power cycle it. If I leave it off for a while it goes back to a white screen. Not sure whats going on.

Last edited:
I have seen issues in the past (and there was a discussion about what might cause it) where some boards won't reload keys after they have suicided. There were a few attempts to solve the issue but I don't think we found a clear answer.

This may be one of those cases where you have to use the decrypted set. But I also had a rev 3 that would only reload keys if I removed all ROMs off the board first.

Try removing everything from the board that can be removed (ROMs and PALs) - flash the board using the Arduino method and a battery and see if it comes back.

Also, there would have been a resistor installed on the CN2 connector between 2 pins, did you remove it or retain it with the InfiniKey install?

Also, there would have been a resistor installed on the CN2 connector between 2 pins, did you remove it or retain it with the InfiniKey install?
I removed it and left it removed and have probably lost it, any idea what value it was?

Edit: Tried reprogramming the keys without any luck. I get a white screen on power on, then a blue screen if I power cycle it. If I leave it off for a while it goes back to a white screen. Not sure whats going on.
I have that exact same issue on a revision 3 board. Inifikey wouldn't take - it would just give me the same colors of screen that you you mentioned above, even changing between power-ons like you said. So I flashed a suicide tester chip from here, removed the Infinikey, and installed the tester. Same symptoms. I then burned decrypted ROMs. It gave me the same symptoms with decrypted ROMs and with the suicide tester, so I've just chalked it up to a bad/damaged board.

Rev 3 boards seem to be more stubborn - a second Rev 3 board that I resurrected wouldn't work with the first Infinikey that I tried. When I removed the key, I tried the suicide tester from the link above, which showed the board as "working but suicided". I had to use a second new one from my stock to get it up and running. I then turned around and used the first Infinikey on another board without issue. Traces and pads all LOOKED ok on the first Infinikey, and I'd like to think my soldering skills are "good enough".

All other boards I've done have been zero issues. Install once and it's good to go.

rev 3 boards are definitely more "stubborn" i've found that they need extra +5v to get programmed properly.

yeah, use 5.1 then 5.2. don't go past 5.2... also make sure your bench psu supplies at least 2 amps... which shouldn't be a factor for something like that. but a lot of people are using dinky wall wart power supplies to power the arduino and the board, that's not going to cut it.

I also noticed that the pins on the motherboard connector are different than the ones in the guide put together by eduardo? what I did is put the game on a motherboard with no case and measured what the voltage was at the chip using a regular motherboard. then when i knew which two pins on the chip to read off of I hooked it up off of the motherboard with the external psu. kept creeping up the power supply voltage until i got 5.0v at the chip.

I also noticed that the pins on the motherboard connector are different than the ones in the guide put together by eduardo? what I did is put the game on a motherboard with no case and measured what the voltage was at the chip using a regular motherboard. then when i knew which two pins on the chip to read off of I hooked it up off of the motherboard with the external psu. kept creeping up the power supply voltage until i got 5.0v at the chip.
You mean CN7? On the rev 4 Im still using pins A25, A23, and B23 and that looks to be working cos its drawing 1~1.5A. I'm getting a solid 5v at the chips.

Edit: Which pins on the two custom chips should I be checking for programming voltage? (Vpp)
Double Edit: Found the pins, I'm getting 4.4v, is this too low to program new keys? I think diode D1 might be dodgy and in need of replacing but I don't know the value of it

Last edited:
Dug out my HSFII all-in-one black board this morning, with the slight fear it might be dead due to having never changed the battery...
IMG_3440.JPG
Sadly that was indeed the case X/

Luckily @markedkiller78 bought a batch of infinikeys a while back and kindly sent me a few :thumbup:
IMG_3446.JPG
We're back in business :thumbsup: Great work @undamned

Quick FYI for others - all the info I've read refers to the CN9 connector, but my board has it labelled CN1
HSF2J 031222
Board revision 97691A-4
Infiniky Jumper "OPEN FOR 93646B-5" soldered closed
IMG_3442.JPG
IMG_3452.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3443.JPG
    IMG_3443.JPG
    92.9 KB · Views: 261
interesting, not sure I've seen a -4 motherboard with that connector? I will need to cross reference some stuff... And I will also respond about the above pin differences on the A23, A25, B25, etc. I need to find the pictures I took from when I resurrected my SSF2.

interesting, not sure I've seen a -4 motherboard with that connector?
You haven't, that's an all in one board, they come in a black case. The only games released on those boards as far as I'm aware were SF Hyper Anniversary and Marvel vs Capcom

Back