What's new
interesting, not sure I've seen a -4 motherboard with that connector?
You haven't, that's an all in one board, they come in a black case. The only games released on those boards as far as I'm aware were SF Hyper Anniversary and Marvel vs Capcom
ah ok... you're right. I have an MVC black board but haven't resurrected it (I just changed the battery on it when I got it). I believe there is also black board for gigawing?
DSCN1634_zpsb51e151c.jpg

Quick FYI for others - all the info I've read refers to the CN9 connector, but my board has it labelled CN1
HSF2J 031222
Board revision 97691A-4
Infiniky Jumper "OPEN FOR 93646B-5" soldered closed
IMG_3442.JPG
IMG_3452.JPG
Did you have issues with the SIMM connector getting in the way of the infinikey install? I had to shave off the plastic connector piece to get the infinikey to sit properly on the board.

Did you have issues with the SIMM connector getting in the way of the infinikey install? I had to shave off the plastic connector piece to get the infinikey to sit properly on the board.
Huh ? No issues at all on my side.

Huh ? No issues at all on my side.
There's plastic pieces that are used to probably hold the SIMM connector in place during assembly for the AIO board. These are very close to the CN9(1) connector and cause the infinikey to not sit flush to the board.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    310.5 KB · Views: 257
Well, there is a small notch in the corner of the infinikey closest to that plastic peg that seems to have been designed for it. It fits perfectly on the various rev 2 & 3 single boards I have.

Attachments

• IMG_5717.JPG
    IMG_5717.JPG
    250.1 KB · Views: 264
My board uses metal rather than plastic connectors. Hard to see in the pic (i'm too lazy to get the board out of the cab and take it apart again!), but it fitted in nicely :thumbup:
IMG_3442.JPG

just installed two of these. 1 worked perfectly. It was revision 7. The other was revision 3 and that didnt go so well. On boot I get a solid colored screen and then the coin meter in the cab starts ticking like crazy. Any ideas what this could mean? I've tried two different cabs and the coin meter still goes nuts (tick tick tick) with a solid color screen.

just installed two of these. 1 worked perfectly. It was revision 7. The other was revision 3 and that didnt go so well. On boot I get a solid colored screen and then the coin meter in the cab starts ticking like crazy. Any ideas what this could mean? I've tried two different cabs and the coin meter still goes nuts (tick tick tick) with a solid color screen.
Means it's watchdog resetting and you haven't got it connected properly.

Most likely one of your pins isn't soldered properly and making good contact or you've got it connected to the wrong pins

Do you have a photo?

not connected properly to the A board?

It did have some bent pins, but I straightened them out pretty good and they have not rebent.

No, the InfiniKey isn't properly soldered to the pins it's connected to

gotcha. Thanks for the insight. Here are some pics. Thoughts?

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20190904-185917_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20190904-185917_Gallery.jpg
    740.7 KB · Views: 324
  • SmartSelect_20190904-185955_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20190904-185955_Gallery.jpg
    528.2 KB · Views: 231
Couple of potential issues there.

I don't think that pad and call your power wire is on are supposed to be bridged.

The 2 sides of the rev 5 pad should be bridged (jumper should not be open)

Your ground wire definitely shouldn't be bridged to pin 5 so check and confirm it's not

Last edited:
thanks. I did check for continuity between the ground wire and pin 5. No continuity.

I cleaned up the power wire and made sure it wasnt bridging with the pad, but I still have continuity. I think its connected on the pcb. I still get a clicking noise at the coin counter. I might just have a bad B board I suspect. I cannot confirm this was working.

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20190904-205911_Gallery.jpg
    SmartSelect_20190904-205911_Gallery.jpg
    766.6 KB · Views: 212
Have you closed the rev 5 jumper? This should only be open on rev 5 as per the silkscreen (It looks like you have in the second photo but not the original photo)

yes, I closed it after I read your suggestions I didnt close it initially because in the @undamned instruction video he also didnt close it. Are bad encryption keys the only thing that can cause a watchdog circuit reset loop?

I'm not sure but your issue sounds exactly like an incorrect InfiniKey install. Maybe try adding more solder to the pins or metering them out to confirm the connections

I'm also really not sure that capacitor SMD pad should be bridged. But UD would have to confirm that.

Cycling over and over in my experience was due to the InfiniKey not getting power (because I forgot to solder something). Use a voltmeter to check between the GND and 5V solder points on the InfiniKey while it's running to make sure it's getting power.

Beyond that, perhaps the wrong game jumpers are set on the InfiniKey? Is there any indication that the EPROMs have been reprogrammed at some point (labels peeling up, replaced, etc.)? If they've been reprogrammed, you could either use romident to determine what you have or just try all possible game jumper settings for that title (there's only a few different ones. Also try all jumpers open, which would be for decrypted ROMs).
-ud

Back