What's new
I like it how it is, simple, effective and cost efficient. No need to add unnessary components that increase cost and assembly time.

+1 to a CPS
CPS(1) used the custom on the C-board.
It is not a stored/writable key value, so this isn't possible without total reproduction/replacement.

The CPS1 multi will use decrypted ROM sets, again because reproduction of the unique customs isn't possible feasible.
I wouldn't mind a CPS3 too
Seems like it could be done with a special reproduction security cart.
Don't know how much interest you'll find for something like that... Darksoft's SuperBIOS is really the way to go.

It is not known how to restore keys to a CPS3 cart yet.

+1 to a CPS
CPS(1) used the custom on the C-board.It is not a stored/writable key value, so this isn't possible without total reproduction/replacement.

The CPS1 multi will use decrypted ROM sets, again because reproduction of the unique customs isn't possible feature.
That's not correct actually.... CPS1 can be restored, but it does need to be removed from the board to do so :)

CPS1.5 as well but both Kabuki and the C board need to be removed and keys loaded.

I don't know if it would be possible to make an Infinikey for these as I understand they can't be programmed in situ

InfiniKey-CPS2

UD said he's been playing with it (CPS1.5 infinikey) but doesn't have a proven solution yet. Sounds like it is theoretically possible and if CPS1.5 is theoretically possible, then CPS1 and pre-CPS Kabuki should also be theoretically possible?

Indeed. My guess is the issue he's running into is that it doesn't like being programmed on the board and he's working out how to get around that issue

Here's a picture of me with the desuicide setup connected to a Knights of the Round C board

IMG_2848.JPG

So far I have desuicided several CPS1, CPS1.5 (including my own Warriors of Fate) and CPS2 with the Arduino setup. All 3 platforms can be done. CPS1.5 is by far the most difficult because it has the 2 seperate battery systems and it won't boot unless both are good. The Kabuki is difficult to load keys onto since it needs to remain powered by and connected to the Arduino while inserting it back into it's socket on the board.

Indeed. My guess is the issue he's running into is that it doesn't like being programmed on the board
I think the only way around this would be to have a small PCB that sits between the C-board and the B-board.
That way you could dynamically control/gate the connection/disconnection of the appropriate pins for restore.
That's not correct actually.... CPS1 can be restored
While I wasn't 100% accurate in my original statement... The custom on the C-boards are different.
No amount of key writing will physically change one custom for another... So you would still be dependent on decrypted/re-encrypted ROMs, making key restore moot.

At least this is my understanding, maybe @Darksoft or @Apocalypse could clarify this for us.

^CPS-B-21 on the the CPS1/1.5 suicide games is the wild card. B-21 can be reprogrammed via Arcade Hacker desuicide method (with Arduino). In that case, you don't need decrypted/hacked roms and no board modification.

But, maybe we're saying the same thing, just in different ways. :)

Would be cool to possibly figure out if say a punisher CPS-B-21 is equivalent to a CPS-B-05 (random example), possibly could repair dead non-suicide boards with a B-21 put on battery (...or CPS1/1.5 infinikey...) and programmed to act like the non-B-21 CPS-B-xx chip. But, I digress.

^^That's going to be me this weekend with a 3 Wonders. :D I always wondered, aren't there pins on the inter-board connector (B board male connectors) where you could just grab +5V and ground, and simply use more dupont cables? I don't know, probably 6 one way, half a dozen the other, but I already have more dupont cables than I'll ever need, and if I can avoid buying those grabbers, well, worse case scenario, I'll just solder some cut dupont cables to those chip pins and desolder after the C board is reseated. Or remove a PAL and use male-to-male dupont cables to get power from the socket.

Last edited:
At least this is my understanding, maybe @Darksoft or @Apocalypse could clarify this for us.
Restoring keys on CPS1/CPS1-DASH is possible but not needed with the multi. Romsets will be untouched (100% OG), including those using battery powered C-boards.
On CPS1 keys are only used to define B registers addresses and layer masks values and on the multi the plan is to intercept accesses to those registers and write back appropriate data. This way any C board can be used, the multi doing on the fly patching with no cycle delay.
Would be cool to possibly figure out if say a punisher CPS-B-21 is equivalent to a CPS-B-05 (random example), possibly could repair dead non-suicide boards with a B-21 put on battery (...or CPS1/1.5 infinikey...) and programmed to act like the non-B-21 CPS-B-xx chip. But, I digress.
It indeed works and has been done before. You can reflash a B-21 to behave like any other B chip, only issue is with games checking chip ID IIRC.

Restoring keys on CPS1/CPS1-DASH is possible but not needed with the multi. Romsets will be untouched (100% OG), including those using battery powered C-boards.
On CPS1 keys are only used to define B registers addresses and layer masks values and on the multi the plan is to intercept accesses to those registers and write back appropriate data. This way any C board can be used, the multi doing on the fly patching with no cycle delay.
Awesome!
Thanks for sharing this information...

"the plan is to intercept accesses to those registers and write back appropriate data"
"the multi doing on the fly patching with no cycle delay"

Wow, like I wasn't already excited for this multi!
Damn it I need this in my life ASAP!!!111 :thumbsup:

+1 to a CPS
CPS(1) used the custom on the C-board.It is not a stored/writable key value, so this isn't possible without total reproduction/replacement.

The CPS1 multi will use decrypted ROM sets, again because reproduction of the unique customs isn't possible feasible.
I wouldn't mind a CPS3 too
Seems like it could be done with a special reproduction security cart.Don't know how much interest you'll find for something like that... Darksoft's SuperBIOS is really the way to go.
I do have a SuperBIOS cart bought straight from Mitsurugi a couple of years ago, but I do have a 3S on battery too.

Thanks for the info

I would buy 5 of these as soon as they are available for order.

This is dope. I'll take 3.

Well done man. Thank you for all you do for the arcade community.

Getting a few more PCB samples (slight change to outline and silkscreen) and provided those turn out nice, I'll pull the trigger on a big batch.

Regarding sales, it's a major headache to deal with orders of 1 here, 3 there, etc., so I will be doing some distribution through Paradise Arcade. I say "some" distribution because I am willing to do direct sales for bulk orders (10+ units). I will work with Paradise on their pricing (which will be more than $10 ea., since they need to make a profit, too) and post up when we get those details ironed out.
-ud

Someone should setup a interest count thread for doing a group buy. Then we can hit undamned with one large order when everything is ready.

This will save everyone some cash and keep undamned from having to deal with small orders.

Back