What's new

Frank_fjs

Multi Boyz 4 Lyfe
Legendary
Multi Boyz
Reaction score
This is a community collaboration to create a cost effective, easy to produce and assemble jamma extension cable with the best performance possible; especially in regards to the power, video and audio lines.

The concept is two separate PCB's, one with a jamma edge connector to attach to one's arcade board, the other with a jamma finger to attach to one's supergun / jamma harness.

The two PCB's are interconnected via two separate cables. A 24 pin ATX cable which contains all the wiring for power, video and audio, and a 34 way IDC cable for inputs, switches and everything else.

The cables are able to be purchased pre-assembled saving on assembly time. The PCB's can be ordered from the PCB fabrication house of your choice. Soldering is minimal with only 5 connectors to be soldered.

Parts list:
  • 1 X PCB (JX_FINGER.ZIP)
  • 1 X PCB (JX_EDGE.ZIP)
  • 1 X EDGE CONNECTOR 56P 3.96MM PITCH
  • 2 X IDC HEADERS 34P ANGLED PCB MOUNT
  • 2 X ATX HEADERS 24P ANGLED PCB MOUNT
  • 1 X IDC CABLE 34 PIN PLUGS REVERSED
  • 1 X ATX CABLE 24 PIN MALE TO MALE PLUGS REVERSED
Supplier for the ATX cable:

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/pcWk425

https://s.click.aliexpress.com/e/crx4IMfR

PCB details:
  • Dimensions: 125mm X 38mm
  • 2 layer PCB
EDGE-1.6-TOP.png
FINGER-1.6-TOP.png

These aren't something I plan on producing and assembling myself. The idea is to provide the resources for people to fabricate their own. That said, some people will undertake the task of selling pre-assembled units ready to use, such as @Mitsurugi-w and @oneleaf86.

Current version 1.6 - 28th Jan 2019
  • Tidied up the ground plane, increased thermal relief width.
  • Trace optimisation.
  • Added x 4 holes (as opposed to x 2) for more secure PCB feet mounting.
  • Jamma finger edge sized to 114.3mm.
  • Edited IDC footprint to suit an angled connector and repositioned so that the IDC connector sits flush with the edge of the PCB.
  • Reworked ATX and IDC footprints. Larger holes for ATX and IDC connectors.
  • Added revision number to PCBs.
  • Adjusted jamma edge to accommodate all types of edge connectors.
  • Copper surround around mount holes.
  • Mount holes positioned 4mm from each edge.
  • No vias.
  • Copper pour for +5V, increased power, audio, video trace width.
  • Increased ATX pad size.
jex1.JPG

PART_1540970722419.jpg

50398035_10216454792175383_2532478851351576576_n.jpg

Attachments

• JX_EDGE_1.6.zip
    13.9 KB · Views: 619
  • JX_FINGER_1.6.zip
    18.9 KB · Views: 614
Last edited:
Awesome work collaborating all of this @Frank_fjs -- and congrats on your own section on the site too mate!

Shouldn't be too much longer now.

PCBs arrived in Australia today, just have to make their way to me from the interstate distribution centre.

ATX headers and IDC cables have arrived. Already have jamma edge connectors on hand.

IDC headers and ATX cable should roll in within the next few days.

Hopefully be able to put it all together next week if remaining parts arrive on time.

Needs a few of these, like 6 of them. Let me know when they are available for purchase.

Looks real good Frank, just whats needed :thumbup: It will come in real handy.

How can we get these?

Also, it might be a bit late for this but is there any chance you could add a 5 & 12v voltmeter somewhere? I know its not really needed but it would be nice to have it.

Oh crap, tried hooking it up, powered on and my CPS2 multi exploded into a ball of fire! I have to go chase my cat now and throw him in the bath as he was in the games room at the time and is also on fire...

Nah, just kidding, all working fine.

Couple of minor things I will fix up.

Jamma finger edge could probably be trimmed down by 0.5mm either side, little bit of a tight fit with some connectors.

I was off with the IDC footprint, just a cosmetic thing re the silkscreen outline, pins are fine.

Should be able to squeeze in a voltmeter.

Only downside I can see is that it's not the most pliable solution, on account of the cables used.

@Frank_fjs was about to call to see if you were ok, until I read the spoiler!

Awesome stuff... look forward to the final product!

Back