Enlightened
Staff member
Immortal
Reaction score
I AM NOT THE CREATOR OF THIS DEVICE. all credit goes to electric_monk
This device is available for purchase here: https://shop.tattiebogle.net/

The original thread below:
====================================================

This discussion started in a few other threads but I think it needs it's own.
I got in the prototype ATAPI/IDE drive emulation device in from Colin yesterday and had a chances to do some testing on System 573. It still needs some polishing but so far it's very promising...
atapi_573.jpg

I'll post my findings in this thread as I do more testing...

EDIT:
For those of you who don't know this device is designed to replace an IDE based Disc Drive in hardware platforms like Konami System 573 and Namco System 2x6. It was developed by Colin David Munro primarily for use with the System 573 to replacing the annoying disc drive in DDR machines, but I'm hoping I can beta test and make sure the System 246 and 256 are supported by the time it's ready for sale.

Estimated release price will be about $200, If you're interested in getting on the waiting list for this you can do so here: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSemrKI0FdVBRP4EdmYS2DTLtiGd5YKQ6WFq3kC6nKY36a4Otw/viewform

I'm not involved in the production or sales of this device. I learned about it myself on a facebook group here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/1955403444733336/permalink/2129610337312645/ and simply pestered the poor guy to let me be a beta tester give him feedback for improving it for use on system 2x6 :D

If you know of other hardware platforms that could benefit from this please let me know it'd be great to get this proven out on as many platforms as possible.

Last edited:
Are you also going to test with 2x6 boards? :)

Very much looking forward to your results for System 2x6

I'm going to test it on my System 256 tonight if I have time (this weekend at the latest) and I have a System 246 on it's way to me that should be arriving soon.

The device was developed for System 573 and has never been tested on anything else so I wanted to run it there first to make sure everything was functioning and hooked up properly... you know test one variable at a time ;)

Currently it works with ISOs and BIN/CUE and you can just dump them on the root of the SD card and it will auto load the first one it finds.

Switching images is done over the USB serial interface... literally just "disk search mygame.iso". Currently I'm doing this with a Raspberry Pi, which would work nicely in conjunction with the same pi re-writing the Dongle.

I've been talking to him about expanding for HDD image support to, as that would allow us to run all of the games from the one device.

first test on the 256 is a non-starter. The 256 refuses to boot as if there isn't a drive installed at all.

@brizzo or any other 2x6 experts? any idea what the motherboard is checking for.

I see zero IDE activity on the serial monitor and the blue light in the multi dongle isn't coming on... it does the same with no drive attached, but if I plug in the DVD drive then everything fires right up.

How long does that ode take to boot? What if you power it up first, separately, and then turn on the 2x6?

Was gonna say the Konami M2, but that needs a audio connection from the cd drive.

How long does that ode take to boot? What if you power it up first, separately, and then turn on the 2x6?
I'm already powering it separately over USB since the molex connector is blocked by the case. I've tried power it on first as well as waiting to power it on after the rest of the system.. no dice. I'm thinking it has something to do with the ribon cable since this device plugs right in in-place of the ribon cable.

I did get my System 246B in today and it appears to boot on that! I've only tested Soul Calibur 3 and it doesn't boot past the region warning. at that point I see a few "unknown" ATAPI commands come through the serial monitor, but I should be able to send these to Colin to have him check it out and fix whatever problem codes are coming through

in the mean time I'm going to remove the female header and install a male header so I can attach it with a ribbon cable and see if that fixing the non-boot issue on 256.
Was gonna say the Konami M2, but that needs a audio connection from the cd drive.
This device does indeed support CD drive audio, as that's needed by many of the DDR games it was built to support.

now the question is where can one acquire a Konami M2? I don't think I've ever seen one for sale.

Aww man. I almost bid on a Battle Tryst a month ago. Guess I should have! It’s an M2.

Which 246 games are on CD as opposed to DVD?

I'd like to test out a normal CD game.

namco system 12. I have aerosmith games with bad cd-rom, and can't find any other cdrom to work with it.
I had no idea there were System 12 games that used a Disc Drive. do you have a picture of the hardware setup?

There's a list here. See the column for CD based.
cool, I didn't realize that list included media type. There are a lot fewer CD based games than I expected.

Back