What's new
I have no idea, this is ABS and a layer height of 100uM ...

it's a non manifold part. I'm guessing it was designed with a surface modeler and not a solid modeler. Interestingly I've found that free slicers used by hobbiests like cura can auto fix these but most expensive/ professional slicers used by industry will refuse to print a faulty model.

Reactions: nem
Yeah - I used Cura to slice it, and it printed completely fine - twice.... PLA

Matt

Cura is the printer slicing program. The model file is sliced into layers and printed a layer at a time. The blue model pic in your post shows what's supposed to be printed after the bottom base is done, and that layer is missing one of the sides that holds the ODE in place. I guess Cura just decides to auto fill it and whatever slicing software 3D Hubs uses doesn't.

What does "Cura to slice it" mean ?
So with 3D printing you have the 3D model (usually an STL file) and then for the printer to print it you need to convert that file to "G-Code", the G-Code is the instructions that the printer uses to actually build the part and it's highly specific to the printer (which is why we distribute the 3D file and not the G-Code), even 2 identical printers might use slightly different G-Code depending on the machine's calibration, the material, or the ambient temperature in the room, etc.

the process of generating the G-Code is called "Slicing" since it slices the 3D model into layers that get printed.

"Cura" is a free piece of software that can slice a 3D model for printing. another popular one is "Slic3r" and there are paid software that do this such as "Simplify 3D". Most industrial printers however require the use of slicing software that is provided by the manufacturer. That is surely what 3D Hubs is using.

Since Cura is designed primarily for hobbiests, it's also very forgiving with interpreting malformed or non-manifold models since a lot of the cheap/free 3D modeling software and inexperienced users tend to generate a lot of problematic model geometry and Cura just makes some "best guesses" to get things "close enough".

Meanwhile the industrial software will throw a hard stop, because generally it's used by people who need the output to be exactly what was specified and not just "close enough"

EDIT: looks like I took too long and nem beat me to it. :S

Reactions: nem
Sorry about that - not entirely sure what's happened. It was designed in Fusion 360 and I test-printed it on my printer (a Formlabs Form 2) which has its own weird software, but on my print those two bits are definitely connected together! I'll see what Fusion360 has to say about the model (e.g. if there's some sort of tiny gap).

My 3D printer guy is dedicated to the case :D, just got this:

I have checked the file in the Zortrax slicer, Prusa slicer and simplify 3D but the issue appears in all 3. The material may be the key as PLA has much lower shrinkage compared to ABS.

Last edited:
That could be - I printed in PLA, and on one of the models I *do* see a tiny little gap - but it doesn’t affect the integrity.

Fusion360 definitely thinks those two parts are connected together, though it's certainly possible it's doing something weird (they were formed separately, then joined). I've attached a version where I've tried to make the top overlap the bottom in Fusion360 so it should be extra obvious to the software that they're the same part, but I'm not sure how to confirm so if someone can give it a shot, I'd appreciate it!

Attachments

• Body1_d.stl.zip
    251.9 KB · Views: 226
Where can ich find the tutorial for installation again? thanks

Was this ODE already tested on the Konami M2 board? I have a strong feeling it should work, but still would like to know before ordering :)

Fusion360 definitely thinks those two parts are connected together, though it's certainly possible it's doing something weird (they were formed separately, then joined). I've attached a version where I've tried to make the top overlap the bottom in Fusion360 so it should be extra obvious to the software that they're the same part, but I'm not sure how to confirm so if someone can give it a shot, I'd appreciate it!
How can I buy "electric_monk" IDE simulator ? I visit his blog but failed. Please let me know.

Back