ATAPI/IDE ODE Testing

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• electric_monk wrote:

So with the "how to fix the video" thing, I was able to confirm that Tekken 4 ran for 24 hours with my fix for the white screen bug, and I'm currently trying Soul Calibur 3, which has been running for 4 hours without any sign of a glitch so far! Hopefully that has addressed the issue.
      have you tested character selection/ gameplay?

I was able to run SC3 in attract mode for hours without issue on the old firmware. the problems cropped up in the character selection screen and level loading.
      Buy 3D Printed Parts: bit-district.com
      Projects: instagram | blog
      Games: VAPS | VOOT | UMK3 | RFM | Vewlix | FiF Jr. | KI2 | E29 | Net City | DDR | Flash Beats
      Wanted | For Sale/Trade
    • rtw wrote:

Nice @electric_monk , can you share the technical details on the fix for us curious ?
      Nothing too exciting - a bug in the VHDL on the FPGA was causing it to detect IDE reset requests that didn't actually exist (which was why i was able to identify the issue so quickly - the firmware on the board was reporting "reset requested from IDE interface" whilst the board with the logging firmware indicated no such thing had occurred), so whatever was happening at that moment was dropped, even though from the game's perspective, nothing had happened. Tekken 4 reacted to seeing "drive ready" when it should have seen "data request" by just plopping up a white screen.

twistedsymphony wrote:

electric_monk wrote:

So with the "how to fix the video" thing, I was able to confirm that Tekken 4 ran for 24 hours with my fix for the white screen bug, and I'm currently trying Soul Calibur 3, which has been running for 4 hours without any sign of a glitch so far! Hopefully that has addressed the issue.
      have you tested character selection/ gameplay?
      I was able to run SC3 in attract mode for hours without issue on the old firmware. the problems cropped up in the character selection screen and level loading.
      As well as having left it running overnight I've been periodically playing games, and I've never had any missing levels/character models/glitches. I am very bad at the game, though :P
    • So when can I buy one??
      Video: Framemeister XRGB mini with XSync-1 and XCapture-1 │ Sony BVM-D20F1E
      DS: ST-V │CPS2 MultiKit │ CPS3 SuperBios
      MB: MV-1B │ CPS1 │ CPS2 │ CPS3 │ ST-V │ Naomi II │ G-Net │ TTX2
      SB: Street Fighter 1 (6 Button Edition)
      Superguns: MK30 Adcap │ Arcadeforge MAK Strike│ RGB's HAS
      Sticks: Madcatz TE2 │ 2x Capcom CPS │ 2x Neo Geo
    • Exactly my question! Or more specifically, 3... :)
      Arcade MultiSystems:

Sega: ST-V (Darksoft), Naomi 2 w/Net Dimm,Capcom CPS2 (Darksoft) , Capcom CPS3 (Darksoft), Neo Geo MV-1B (Darksoft), Sega C2 (Apocalypse), Taito F3 (Darksoft), Neo Geo AES (Darksoft), M72 Multi (Apocalypse)
      VAPS Profile arcade-museum.com/members/member_detail.php?member_id=481863
    • electric_monk wrote:

rtw wrote:

Nice @electric_monk , can you share the technical details on the fix for us curious ?
      Nothing too exciting - a bug in the VHDL on the FPGA was causing it to detect IDE reset requests that didn't actually exist (which was why i was able to identify the issue so quickly - the firmware on the board was reporting "reset requested from IDE interface" whilst the board with the logging firmware indicated no such thing had occurred), so whatever was happening at that moment was dropped, even though from the game's perspective, nothing had happened. Tekken 4 reacted to seeing "drive ready" when it should have seen "data request" by just plopping up a white screen.
      Thank you for the information, and many compliments for fixing it so fast :D

This device sounds like it will the ultimate solution for the sys2x6 :D
      The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
    • rtw wrote:

This device sounds like it will the ultimate solution for the sys2x6 :D

Agreed and I'm definitely interested in one for my Namco Sys256 as well. :thumbsup:

With the current design will it fit internally in a Sys246 or Sys256 where the DVD drive would normally go?

I can see using an SD card extension cable to route to the front and make it easy to change cards/games.
    • kuze wrote:

With the current design will it fit internally in a Sys246 or Sys256 where the DVD drive would normally go?

I can see using an SD card extension cable to route to the front and make it easy to change cards/games.
      You could also use a USB extension cable with a USB OTG cable and just put the games on a USB flash drive - I'd actually recommend this, as from testing so far USB flash drives seem to run faster than SD cards.

Since the card has dual host USB, it's also theoretically possible that the board could also read a dongle ROM from the drive and program the Sys2x6 USB dongle at startup...

The post was edited 1 time, last by electric_monk ().

• electric_monk wrote:

kuze wrote:

You could also use a USB extension cable with a USB OTG cable and just put the games on a USB flash drive - I'd actually recommend this, as from testing so far USB flash drives seem to run faster than SD cards.
      Since the card has dual host USB, it's also theoretically possible that the board could also read a dongle ROM from the drive and program the Sys2x6 USB dongle at startup...
      Pretty awesome possibilities here. I know @twistedsymphony mentioned setting up a Raspberry Pi to handle both the dongle flashing and CD/HDD image selection with an LCD screen.

Would be really cool to mount an LCD selector in the front of the drive bay so everything is contained within the Sys256 chassis, or having a selector/Pi on a long extension for placement in a cab's control panel.
    • AWESOME...

When can I order/get in line? :)
      Arcade MultiSystems:

Sega: ST-V (Darksoft), Naomi 2 w/Net Dimm,Capcom CPS2 (Darksoft) , Capcom CPS3 (Darksoft), Neo Geo MV-1B (Darksoft), Sega C2 (Apocalypse), Taito F3 (Darksoft), Neo Geo AES (Darksoft), M72 Multi (Apocalypse)
      VAPS Profile arcade-museum.com/members/member_detail.php?member_id=481863
    • I've been testing this pretty heavily over the last week and here is where I'm at right now:

UPDATED: 2019-03-04

--Tested and Working (boots, runs through attract mode, can play a few credits without issue)
      Battle of YuYu Hakusho
      Bloody Roar 3
      Capcom Fighting Jam
      Kinnikuman Muscle Grand Prix
      Kinnikuman Muscle Grand Prix 2
      Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Federation vs Zaft
      Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny Federation vs Zaft II
      Mobile Suit Z Gundam: AEUG vs. Titans
      Mobile Suit Z Gundam: AEUG vs. Titans DX
      Mobile Suit Gundam Vs Gundam
      Pride GP 2003
      Quiz Kidou Senshi Gundam
      Quiz Variety SukuSuku Inufuku 2
      Ridge Racer V Arcade Battle
      Sengoku Basara X
      Smash Court Pro Tournament
      Soul Calibur II
      Soul Calibur III
      Super Dragonball Z
      Taiko No Tatsujin 7
      Taiko No Tatsujin 8
      Taiko No Tatsujin 9
      Taiko No Tatsujin 10
      Tekken 4
      Tekken 5.1
      Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection
      Time Crisis 3
      Vampire Night

--Not currently working with ODE
      Netchuu Pro Takyuu 2002

--Unable to fully test (I don't have the right hardware)
      Wangan Midnight (wont boot/black screen)
      Wangan Midnight R (boots but freezes after intro video)

--Not Tested (because HDD Game)
      Cobra The Arcade
      Fate: Unlimited Codes
      Mobile Suit Gundam Vs Gundam NEXT
      Time Crisis 4
      Zoids Infinity
      Zoids Infinity EX Plus

--Not Yet Dumped/Released (Disc Games):
      Dragon Chronicles: Legend of The Master Ark
      Dragon Chronicles Online
      Druaga Online: The Story of Aon
      Taiko No Tatsujin 11
      Taiko No Tatsujin 11 Asia Version
      Technic Beat
      Whole Brain Training with Everybody

--Not Yet Dumped/Released (HDD Games):
      Battle Gear 3
      Battle Gear 3 Tuned
      The Idolm@aster
      Taiko No Tatsujin 12
      Taiko No Tatsujin 12 Asia Version
      Taiko No Tatsujin 13
      Taiko No Tatsujin 14
      Taiko No Tatsujin 14 More
      Zoids Infinity EX

--Not Yet Dumped/Released (Prototype Games of unknown format):
      Alpine Racer 3
      Capcom Fighting All Stars
      Gun Survivor 3: Dino Crisis
      Rockman EXE: Battle Chip Stadium
      Samurai Surf X
      StarBlade: Operation Blue Planet
      Buy 3D Printed Parts: bit-district.com
      Projects: instagram | blog
      Games: VAPS | VOOT | UMK3 | RFM | Vewlix | FiF Jr. | KI2 | E29 | Net City | DDR | Flash Beats
      Wanted | For Sale/Trade

The post was edited 5 times, last by twistedsymphony ().

• electric_monk wrote:

Small production run is complete (with some tweaks from the prototype a few people have):

I'm going to design a small 3D printed case to protect the PCB, but other than that all that's left is to finish investigating an issue with some Namco games (specifically relating to MAME/CHD behaviour).
      Nice! I'm sure you'll sell a ton of these outside the arcade community - for use in industrial/medical legacy devices etc.

For your own sanity and/or manufacture cost I would suggest looking into an SMD version of the IDE header.

no.mouser.com/ProductDetail/3M…Hbf9fBzCZu9NF%252b9rPQ%3d
      FOR SCIENCE! I make and sell the Jammafier & other stuff, irkenlabs.com
    • What type of drive setup do you need for Ridge Racer V Arcade Battle? Thanks
      Video: Framemeister XRGB mini with XSync-1 and XCapture-1 │ Sony BVM-D20F1E
      DS: ST-V │CPS2 MultiKit │ CPS3 SuperBios
      MB: MV-1B │ CPS1 │ CPS2 │ CPS3 │ ST-V │ Naomi II │ G-Net │ TTX2
      SB: Street Fighter 1 (6 Button Edition)
      Superguns: MK30 Adcap │ Arcadeforge MAK Strike│ RGB's HAS
      Sticks: Madcatz TE2 │ 2x Capcom CPS │ 2x Neo Geo