What's new
So with the "how to fix the video" thing, I was able to confirm that Tekken 4 ran for 24 hours with my fix for the white screen bug, and I'm currently trying Soul Calibur 3, which has been running for 4 hours without any sign of a glitch so far! Hopefully that has addressed the issue.
have you tested character selection/ gameplay?

I was able to run SC3 in attract mode for hours without issue on the old firmware. the problems cropped up in the character selection screen and level loading.

Nice @electric_monk , can you share the technical details on the fix for us curious ?
Nothing too exciting - a bug in the VHDL on the FPGA was causing it to detect IDE reset requests that didn't actually exist (which was why i was able to identify the issue so quickly - the firmware on the board was reporting "reset requested from IDE interface" whilst the board with the logging firmware indicated no such thing had occurred), so whatever was happening at that moment was dropped, even though from the game's perspective, nothing had happened. Tekken 4 reacted to seeing "drive ready" when it should have seen "data request" by just plopping up a white screen.

So with the "how to fix the video" thing, I was able to confirm that Tekken 4 ran for 24 hours with my fix for the white screen bug, and I'm currently trying Soul Calibur 3, which has been running for 4 hours without any sign of a glitch so far! Hopefully that has addressed the issue.
have you tested character selection/ gameplay?
I was able to run SC3 in attract mode for hours without issue on the old firmware. the problems cropped up in the character selection screen and level loading.
As well as having left it running overnight I've been periodically playing games, and I've never had any missing levels/character models/glitches. I am very bad at the game, though :P

Nice @electric_monk , can you share the technical details on the fix for us curious ?
Nothing too exciting - a bug in the VHDL on the FPGA was causing it to detect IDE reset requests that didn't actually exist (which was why i was able to identify the issue so quickly - the firmware on the board was reporting "reset requested from IDE interface" whilst the board with the logging firmware indicated no such thing had occurred), so whatever was happening at that moment was dropped, even though from the game's perspective, nothing had happened. Tekken 4 reacted to seeing "drive ready" when it should have seen "data request" by just plopping up a white screen.
Thank you for the information, and many compliments for fixing it so fast :D

This device sounds like it will the ultimate solution for the sys2x6 :D

This device sounds like it will the ultimate solution for the sys2x6 :D
Agreed and I'm definitely interested in one for my Namco Sys256 as well. :thumbsup:

With the current design will it fit internally in a Sys246 or Sys256 where the DVD drive would normally go?

I can see using an SD card extension cable to route to the front and make it easy to change cards/games.

With the current design will it fit internally in a Sys246 or Sys256 where the DVD drive would normally go?

I can see using an SD card extension cable to route to the front and make it easy to change cards/games.
You could also use a USB extension cable with a USB OTG cable and just put the games on a USB flash drive - I'd actually recommend this, as from testing so far USB flash drives seem to run faster than SD cards.

Since the card has dual host USB, it's also theoretically possible that the board could also read a dongle ROM from the drive and program the Sys2x6 USB dongle at startup...

Last edited:

You could also use a USB extension cable with a USB OTG cable and just put the games on a USB flash drive - I'd actually recommend this, as from testing so far USB flash drives seem to run faster than SD cards.
Since the card has dual host USB, it's also theoretically possible that the board could also read a dongle ROM from the drive and program the Sys2x6 USB dongle at startup...
Pretty awesome possibilities here. I know @twistedsymphony mentioned setting up a Raspberry Pi to handle both the dongle flashing and CD/HDD image selection with an LCD screen.

Would be really cool to mount an LCD selector in the front of the drive bay so everything is contained within the Sys256 chassis, or having a selector/Pi on a long extension for placement in a cab's control panel.

Small production run is complete (with some tweaks from the prototype a few people have):
IMG_0582 copy.jpg

I'm going to design a small 3D printed case to protect the PCB, but other than that all that's left is to finish investigating an issue with some Namco games (specifically relating to MAME/CHD behaviour).

Attachments

• IMG_0583 copy.jpg
    IMG_0583 copy.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 228
I've been testing this pretty heavily over the last week and here is where I'm at right now:

UPDATED: 2019-03-04

--Tested and Working (boots, runs through attract mode, can play a few credits without issue)
Battle of YuYu Hakusho
Bloody Roar 3
Capcom Fighting Jam
Kinnikuman Muscle Grand Prix
Kinnikuman Muscle Grand Prix 2
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Federation vs Zaft
Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny Federation vs Zaft II
Mobile Suit Z Gundam: AEUG vs. Titans
Mobile Suit Z Gundam: AEUG vs. Titans DX
Mobile Suit Gundam Vs Gundam
Pride GP 2003
Quiz Kidou Senshi Gundam
Quiz Variety SukuSuku Inufuku 2
Ridge Racer V Arcade Battle
Sengoku Basara X
Smash Court Pro Tournament
Soul Calibur II
Soul Calibur III
Super Dragonball Z
Taiko No Tatsujin 7
Taiko No Tatsujin 8
Taiko No Tatsujin 9
Taiko No Tatsujin 10
Tekken 4
Tekken 5.1
Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection
Time Crisis 3
Vampire Night

--Not currently working with ODE
Netchuu Pro Takyuu 2002

--Unable to fully test (I don't have the right hardware)
Wangan Midnight (wont boot/black screen)
Wangan Midnight R (boots but freezes after intro video)

--Not Tested (because HDD Game)
Cobra The Arcade
Fate: Unlimited Codes
Mobile Suit Gundam Vs Gundam NEXT
Time Crisis 4
Zoids Infinity
Zoids Infinity EX Plus

--Not Yet Dumped/Released (Disc Games):
Dragon Chronicles: Legend of The Master Ark
Dragon Chronicles Online
Druaga Online: The Story of Aon
Taiko No Tatsujin 11
Taiko No Tatsujin 11 Asia Version
Technic Beat
Whole Brain Training with Everybody

--Not Yet Dumped/Released (HDD Games):
Battle Gear 3
Battle Gear 3 Tuned
The Idolm@aster
Taiko No Tatsujin 12
Taiko No Tatsujin 12 Asia Version
Taiko No Tatsujin 13
Taiko No Tatsujin 14
Taiko No Tatsujin 14 More
Zoids Infinity EX

--Not Yet Dumped/Released (Prototype Games of unknown format):
Alpine Racer 3
Capcom Fighting All Stars
Gun Survivor 3: Dino Crisis
Rockman EXE: Battle Chip Stadium
Samurai Surf X
StarBlade: Operation Blue Planet

Last edited:
Small production run is complete (with some tweaks from the prototype a few people have):
IMG_0582 copy.jpg

I'm going to design a small 3D printed case to protect the PCB, but other than that all that's left is to finish investigating an issue with some Namco games (specifically relating to MAME/CHD behaviour).
Nice! I'm sure you'll sell a ton of these outside the arcade community - for use in industrial/medical legacy devices etc.

For your own sanity and/or manufacture cost I would suggest looking into an SMD version of the IDE header.

https://no.mouser.com/ProductDetail...EpiMZZMs%2bGHln7q6pm5UEVHbf9fBzCZu9NF%2b9rPQ=

I think this device can sell tons of units, both in and out the arcade community :)

BTW, I'm interested in at least one or two units

What type of drive setup do you need for Ridge Racer V Arcade Battle? Thanks

Back