What's new
--Tested and Working
Sengoku Basara X Cross
Ridge Racer V Arcade Battle

--Unable to test (requires Driving 246 PCB)
Wangan Midnight (wont boot/black screen)
Wangan Midnight R (boots but freezes after intro video)

--Not working
Netchuu Pro Yakyuu 2002
latest version of the firmware fixes the issue with Sengoku Basara X, also getting past the hardware checks on RRV allowed me to confirm that it's working as well.

I still can't test Wangan as it seems incompatible with my System 246B

so at this point the only disc game that isn't working is: Netchuu Pro Yakyuu 2002

He's not on this forum that I can see, but ChicagoGameCollector has a full set of M2 hardware (and did some pretty cool videos on the platform. I pinged him about this project, maybe he can help test to see if M2 hardware works with the device too. In the meantime I'm looking for a setup as well.

@twistedsymphony wangan will only work in a system246A / driving with the extra ram module.
It seems 246B doesn't even have the slot of extra RAM module; however some sources seem to claim that the reason it doesn't have the slot is that the Extra RAM is already built into that version of the 246 Mother PCB. So Maybe there is some other issue? or Maybe that info is incorrect?

For now I'll wait until someone with a 246A/Driving 246 is able to test the game and report their results.

help test to see if M2 hardware works with the device too
The nice thing about this being a generic ATAPI device is that as issues are fixed it improves compatibility with other devices as well.

though I think most of the fixes that electric_monk has implemented have been issues with the disc image formatting and not so much the ATAPI or IDE commands themselves. Meaning that most of the games that had problems would have run fine had the disc images been created differently.

Last edited:
so at this point the only disc game that isn't working is: Netchuu Pro Yakyuu 2002
Latest firmware update fixes Netchuu Pro Yakyuu 2002. That makes 100% of the disc based games (that I can run) supported.

now I'm planning on going back through all of the games to ensure that none of the fixes broke something else :)

Spent most of today going back through the entire library and re-testing... happy to report that everything seems to work great :D

I also discovered that Taiko 7 and Taiko 8 are system 256... not system 246

Taiko 7 boots to a black screen on my 246B and will yell at you that the jumper is in the wrong mode if you try to play it in 246+ mode on my 256.

Also I came across an auction for Taiko 7 on YAJ that includes a "firmware updater" disc...
I'm curious if anyone know what that's all about?

i-img1024x1024-1546746943bqglkv943772.jpg

Thanks for doing all this testing and providing confirmation on what hardware works with Taiko 7 and 8.

I am not sure about the back story of the update disc, but I have a .iso image of the CD001 disc. I assume when booted it writes an update to the dongle.

I am not sure about the back story of the update disc, but I have a .iso image of the CD001 disc. I assume when booted it writes an update to the dongle.
Interesting... does that mean dongles could potentially be reflashed without opening them up?
providing confirmation on what hardware works with Taiko 7 and 8.
Not sure if you caught my post about it earlier but Kinikuman 2 is system 246... and strangely Kinikuman 1 is 256... most places I've looked has them both listed as 256. Not sure why the newer game was released on older hardware.. but it is.

Interesting... does that mean dongles could potentially be reflashed without opening them up?
Yeah supposedly there was a modified Gundam(?) ISO used for creating bootleg dongles, iirc there was talk of it on assembler games years back

Maybe? I know there are some ridiculously complicated methods to flash dongles without soldering or modification that others have used in the past; but it is way beyond practical.

Spent most of today going back through the entire library and re-testing... happy to report that everything seems to work great :D

I also discovered that Taiko 7 and Taiko 8 are system 256... not system 246

Taiko 7 boots to a black screen on my 246B and will yell at you that the jumper is in the wrong mode if you try to play it in 246+ mode on my 256.

Also I came across an auction for Taiko 7 on YAJ that includes a "firmware updater" disc...
I'm curious if anyone know what that's all about?

i-img1024x1024-1546746943bqglkv943772.jpg
Any additional word on when these might start to be available? I signed up on the facebook page a while back, but haven't heard a peep.

Matt

I believe the first order was placed with the manufacturer a few weeks ago. I don't know what the status is personally.

I do know we've tested confirmed 100% compatibility with all available 2x6 disc games.
Colin was unable to test System 573 due to some issues with his PCBs and I don't know what happened to the other system 573 testers so I'm planning on running through all of the 573 games I have access to this weekend (which is pretty much everything EXCEPT the rhythm games).

Awesome.... for me this is great as I have a dynamo cabinet - so mounting the dvdrom drive level was challenging and involved more moving parts that I wanted - this is going to simplify that entirely and allow me not to worry about it!

Yeah, the 573 I was using for testing is identified by a few of the games as a plain PSX, which is apparently a thing that can happen if they have a slightly different chipset to normal (and it's very ironic to see the game announce that it's not running on a 573, on a 573). The one I was using to test DDR has a bootleg BIOS which makes it look for a different filename, and I haven't tried swapping ROMs (the bootleg BIOS is caked in gluegun glue) or renaming the files in the game disk yet. I have other 573s, I've just been lazy about setting them up as I prefer to keep at least one with DDR Extreme for my actual DDR cab ;)

And I'm hoping to get e-mails out allowing everyone who put their name on the list to place an order next week. Nearly there!

I believe the first order was placed with the manufacturer a few weeks ago. I don't know what the status is personally.

I do know we've tested confirmed 100% compatibility with all available 2x6 disc games.
Colin was unable to test System 573 due to some issues with his PCBs and I don't know what happened to the other system 573 testers so I'm planning on running through all of the 573 games I have access to this weekend (which is pretty much everything EXCEPT the rhythm games).
For tekken 4 is valid at 300% ?( :?:
No freeze :?:

Adding my name to the list. Just got a 256 + 10 games and have yet to get the Magic Dongle, but might as well prepare :D

Back