What's new
Damn I’m having this same issue. Ikaruga works and anything else I try does the memory check then reboots into gateway error. I have 512mb. So guess I’ll try inserting the pic again and I can try one stick at a time.

I think I have a spare pic I can also try. I found cheap memory on eBay and ordered 2 sets of 2x256. I have a dim with 2x128 so maybe I get both bumped to 512.

Every time I think I’ve got this shit working Naomi throws something new at me. At least I can play ikaruga I suppose.

here is the memory, hey have some more in case anyone else here wants to give it a shot. I’m assuming it is compatible, non ecc, pc100/133. Guess we will see

https://www.ebay.com/itm/512MB-KIT-...0-168PIN-PC-DEKSTOP-RAM-NON-ECC-/174169697906

Last edited:
I'll post my PM reply here as well so other forumites can learn from this:

Hey Geddon,

In the end I swapped everything around - a kind forumite sent me another PIC and a combination of swapping the memory in the NetDIMM (I had purchased 512Mb which was installed and the 128Mb the NetDIMM originally came with) and the PIC solved the problem..

I was lucky as I had just bought a TriForce with a NetDIMM included so I could swap between the 2 until I had both it working in both the TriFrorce and the NAOMI. Honestly, the best was to get to the bottom of it is to strip the NetDIMM down so it's just the board (no case or battery) to ensure a sweet connection with the NAOMI motherboard and then work from there swapping the PIC and the memory (even just swapping them around, ensuring they are firmly seated) - having the NetDIMM out of the case means you can apply a bit more pressure on the DIMM sockets and the PIC to make sure it's seated 100% (but not too much pressure!!) I even swapped the network card between the two..

Of course, I got very bored seeing that NAOMI boot screen, loading a game from the Pi, doing the memory checks repeatedly but it got me there in the end.

Horrible problem to have!!

Hope you get it sorted

Rich

Damn I’m having this same issue. Ikaruga works and anything else I try does the memory check then reboots into gateway error. I have 512mb. So guess I’ll try inserting the pic again and I can try one stick at a time.

I think I have a spare pic I can also try. I found cheap memory on eBay and ordered 2 sets of 2x256. I have a dim with 2x128 so maybe I get both bumped to 512.

Every time I think I’ve got this shit working Naomi throws something new at me. At least I can play ikaruga I suppose.

here is the memory, hey have some more in case anyone else here wants to give it a shot. I’m assuming it is compatible, non ecc, pc100/133. Guess we will see

https://www.ebay.com/itm/512MB-KIT-...0-168PIN-PC-DEKSTOP-RAM-NON-ECC-/174169697906
do the full ram test via the test menu and if it takes a while to perform the test and counts through all the memory then the 512 should be OK.
I bought some brand new "apple" suitable ram from ebay and it worked fine, infact I still have a pair of 256's left over I didnt successfully sell on ebay..
I have had many occasions where the Naomi2 would tell me the ram was OK but the tests would not complete properly and I knew there was something amiss. I stuffed around for a while with different rams until it worked.
The memory modules must BOTH be either single or double sided (are there soldered ram chips on both sides of both chips ?) I had to dig into my memory to remember all this stuff about these ram's from the 90's or whenever it was that these were used :)

lastly in re-plugging different ram chips in, I found the best technique was to remove the entire netdimm board from the plastic casing, put the memory in, then when you put them back together make sure you firmly press on both sides to ensure the boards mate together as best they can. as dewhal was saying above, the connection is important. wait he pretty much said the same thing I did. remove from the case.

goodluck

thanks dewhal! that helps me get started. So it could be the pic, either stick of ram, or possibly the connections the ram/pic and boards are making with each other. I'll try to be methodical so hopefully I can post exactly what caused this error in my case.

Thanks evilsim! I'm running the ram test now. if that looks good i'll take the boards out of the case and start reseating and testing again.

PM me if you want me to dig up my ram chips and Ill send you a pic of the packet they come in. You can buy some online for sure - they're brand new and quite cheap.

thanks dewhal! that helps me get started. So it could be the pic, either stick of ram, or possibly the connections the ram/pic and boards are making with each other. I'll try to be methodical so hopefully I can post exactly what caused this error in my case.

Thanks evilsim! I'm running the ram test now. if that looks good i'll take the boards out of the case and start reseating and testing again.
I never got a single fail on the RAM tests when I was having my issue.

Ultimately I think I had a series of bad PICs and bad connections somewhere..

PM me if you want me to dig up my ram chips and Ill send you a pic of the packet they come in. You can buy some online for sure - they're brand new and quite cheap.
I took a shot on some cheap 256 ones on ebay, I linked them in a post above. it was like $10 a stick and I got 4. Listed as 2x256 and the seller has stellar ratings so hopefully they are good pairs. If I have issues with those I'm definitely interested in a cheap source for some ones confirmed as working.

Whelp this sucks. I got more memory. My netdimm came with 1 512mb stick. I was under the impression you needed 2x256 but who knows for sure? Took stuff out of the dimm case. I tried resetting the pic, tried new ram, tried reseating the ram board multiple times. I still either get gateway error or stuck loading. Ikaruga still works. Ordered a new pic.

here is a question. Can I swap the net board into another dimm board and test that. I have a regular one. Or will it not be compatible?

my netdimm is the version with just the ethernet jack. I wonder if that could have anything to do with it. Seems most people have the version that has the scsi port, network port, and another port.

i am near my wits end with this so ordered a netdimm that looked pretty good from Japan. Has all the ports, version 3.17, but just has 256mb. I guess 512 would be nice but getting games other than ikaruga and tetris booting from the pi working is my main concern for now.

just for reference from my testing. The rear ram slot needs to be populated. I tried just the other slot during one of my many different attempts and it didn’t recognize any memory.

Last edited:
Tried with my Naomi 2 today. Holy crap the thing is noisy as hell, time for a fan mod. Anyway same behavior so definitely issue with the netdimm. Can boot ikaruga and nothing else. Didn’t get a gateway error though, stuff just gets stuck “now loading” and never loads. I’ve waited for a long time. Tried various games. When I get a new zero key I’ll try again. Also have another netdimm coming so hopefully that one works.

Hmm, whelp transfergame from a laptop seems to work. I booted dolphin blue and it has been running for a few minutes. So something weird with the web based piforce tools I guess. It did the memory check so I figured it would fail after that but the game worked. So I’m assuming all atomiswave conversions should work for me.

still get gateway error with most Naomi games though, yay. It’s the hold connection crap. So bad zero key maybe? I hope so because I did a continuity test from the ic legs to the underside of the netdimm and it seemed fine. Looked at those joints and nearby stuff and that seemed fine.

I need to find that python script that keeps the connection. I would be perfectly happy using a laptop to boot games. Raspberry pi would be nice but just to be able to do it somehow would be cool at this point.

Last edited:
Naomi is killing me. Can anyone tell me what the problem is? I tried the naomi_boot.py script and the triforcetools.py script and nothing works. I tried on a Windows 10 laptop and a Windows 7 laptop. Have python 2.7 and pycrypto 2.1. Whatever I do fails. Here is my latest try. I seem to always get this socket.timeout crap

Attachments

• 314D4AF7-9858-4C41-B809-E680BC11B13E.jpeg
    314D4AF7-9858-4C41-B809-E680BC11B13E.jpeg
    843.7 KB · Views: 206
Triforcetools.py attempts. Why unreachable? I just pinged it. I admit I am a python retard. Please help.

netdimm is set to 192.168.1.2

laptop is set to 192.168.1.1

connecting through a small hub with regular cables. Transfergame.exe works with ikaruga and atomiswave. I can’t get this python stuff to work with anything.

Attachments

• 4EF6901B-46A8-4FA4-84D5-E6C82DA9A11A.jpeg
    4EF6901B-46A8-4FA4-84D5-E6C82DA9A11A.jpeg
    801.5 KB · Views: 170
if I am not mistaken I think they both have to be the IP address. I can only say this with the piforce tools using the ras-pi3. Once you do that then try the Ping process and see how that works. I too am having some frustrating moments with the Naomi, but will try and put in what I can.

Got the pyforcetools script working. New version didn’t have the sleep loop but worked until it got to loading game in mvc2. Old version bombed. So I cut the code out of the new version that has the sleep loop. Python can go f itself with indentation errors, but eventually I got it working. Mvc2 booted and is still running an hour later. Hopefully new zero key fixes my issue but worst case at least I now have a working method to NetBoot.

whelp that didn't last long. i booted karous. first try didn't work. typed the same thing 2nd try worked. then turned the naomi off and back on and it did memory checking then waiting for network and now I can't ping the netdimm. checked the network settings everything was fine. i did the data reset in the test mode, that didn't wipe the IP settings. reset naomi again, checking network, can't ping it. I changed nothing with the hardware or connections and now I cannot figure out how to even ping the netdimm. tried a cart and no problem, booted right up. put the netdimm back and tried again and still can't ping it. I don't get it. Anyone have any ideas of something to try? does karous screw up netdimms? Naomi continues to frustrate the shit out of me in every which way it can.

fun. after being off around 20 minutes tried again and I could ping it. tried to load a game and it transferred for a while, then failed, host closed connection. I have it connected to my laptop through a little 10/100 network switch. that is nice when it works since I get the blinking lights. Tried crossover cable instead. didn't load as long and failed. So this thing is just finicky as all hell. Total crapshoot if it will boot a game. I have a naomi 2 I can try and see if it does any better.

tried from my old 32 bit windows 7 laptop and it booted a game first try, running through the network switch. not sure if lucky or maybe it will be more consistent from this laptop vs my windows 10 laptop. i'll report back after trying multiple games.

edit:
ok, I think I'm getting the hang of this. In the spreadsheet it has a column for dimm reset and I'm assuming yes means you can send another game while that game is running, in test means go to test then send another game, no means reset the naomi first and blank means who knows what. anyway I'm testing that theory. before I would boot a game then reset the naomi then try booting another and it would typically fail, it would partially load then host forces the connection closed. then i would reset and the 2nd try would boot.

I'm still using the windows 7 laptop so not sure if that has anything to do with it. Also still going through a little network switch instead of using a crossover cable. If anyone in the future wants any help getting this to work I have the version of python I used and pycrypto and can give you my working triforcetools.py script. I'm assuming this will work the same with no zero key, but I have left the one I have in there and I'm assuming it is bad which caused all these headaches in the first place. Further config details for anyone curious. Naomi 1, multi region bios. Powering naomi with a sun psu, using jvs i/o 1.5. Also have a capcom i/o i have not tested much.

Last edited:
You should always be ping the Netdimm when its powered. Not being able to ping consistently would imply either:
A bad connection on the Netdimm where you plug the cable in
A bad cable
The Netdimm itself has a lot serious fault.

Until you can consistently ping the Netdimm (allowing for the occasional packet loss if it's just been powered up) I wouldn't be looking anywhere else for the fault.

yeah now i always try to ping first and if that fails I do a hard reset and then I will usually be able to ping it. I know my cables and connections are ok because they work sometimes and I don't change that. I have been having better luck with the windows 7 laptop and following what the spreadsheet says when trying to boot new games, but occasionally i do need to try twice to get something to boot. I'm just happy I can usually get stuff working now.

Man feels good when naomi shit works. Got another netdimm from Japan. Switched the jumpers to NetBoot, tossed on my naomi 2 and ran triforcetools with the keep alive section and it works great. Still waiting on a new zero key so as of now this is the only way I can boot games that need it.

Back