What's new

dewhal

Beginner
Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been trying to get my NAOMI 1 RPi3 setup to Netboot using PiForceTools for some time now without success. I keep getting Error 33 Gateway Not Found errors.

I've tried:
1. 3 difference zero PIC chips (the one originally supplied with the unit and also 2 more purchased off eBay from a recommended seller from the forums)
2. 2x new DIMM strips for the NetDIMM
3. Setting the BIOS to the different regions
4. Tested the voltages (all OK)
5. Updated the NetDimm firmware to 4.02

Most games will Netboot and then reset. Sega Tetris got as far as showing me the beach scene before rebooting. Ikaruga is the only one which works.

I'm running Raspbian on my Pi 3 Model B+

The owner I bought the setup from insist it was working fine prior to him selling it to me and I believe him - he's a fellow formum member so I have no reason to doubt him. The only difference is I'm using a Pi to Netboot where he used a PC. I've tried to find the PC version of transfergame.exe to see if that works but not joy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm not a Netboot expert, but I believe the problem exists between the Pi and the NetDIMM.
Sure that's a network crossover cable your using (and its crimped correctly if you made it)?

crossovercable.png

I don't think it's the network connection. I can ping the Naomi just fine and I can load the roms to the NETWORK without any errors from PiForceTools

Most games will Netboot and then reset.
This is classic behavior IF the network connection of broken/interrupted and you don't have a proper zero pic/key.

That's why I asked.
Ikaruga is the only one which works.
Ikaruga is also a very small game, could be your 2nd RAM DIMM has gone bad.

Can you swap the RAM DIMMs around and report back?

for the network connection I've tried lots of different leads, both crossed with a direct connection and straight via a switch.

The DIMMs have all been swapped, it came with 1 128MB DIMM and I purchased 2 more and I've tried them all in various combinations

Usually if it was a bad pic it would Error 33 right out of the gate, not after it's already loaded the game.

Have you tried booting without the pi? Might be worth it to see rule out an issue with the pi. I can't recall the name of the program I use on my Surface, but that's how I netboot. I can check when I get home this evening.

for the network connection I've tried lots of different leads, both crossed with a direct connection and straight via a switch.

The DIMMs have all been swapped, it came with 1 128MB DIMM and I purchased 2 more and I've tried them all in various combinations
On the NetDIMMS I have I ran into this problem a few times and it was the Zero/Null Pic, badly crimped crossover cable, mix matched RAM, and on one NetDIMM the motherboard in the NetDIMM tested bad.

I will say with the RAM they need to be matched .. not just the same memory size but exact brand match. You laugh .. but these things are just that picky.

the 2 new DIMMs are the same make, model, size and speed as each other. Can't be 100% if they much the original DIMM supplied but I matched size and speed at least when I bought them.. I've currently only got one 128MB DIMM installed to simplify diagnosing the issue.

I'd like to give netbooting from the PC a go if anyone can provide a working link to the tools? Then I'll set least be able to match the setup of the seller and can rule out the Pi being the cause..

I'd like to give netbooting from the PC a go if anyone can provide a working link to the tools? Then I'll set least be able to match the setup of the seller and can rule out the Pi being the cause..
I agree this is what you should do next, because I suspect it will work perfectly pointing clearly at the Pi/network(cable) as being the issue.

Last edited by a moderator:
my ram slot went bad it drove me crazy. it would not load a game at all network errors and such. So try running with 1 stick in each slot. Also check to see if the fans are running correctly maybe they aren't running and when a game starts it over heats

my ram slot went bad it drove me crazy. it would not load a game at all network errors and such. So try running with 1 stick in each slot. Also check to see if the fans are running correctly maybe they aren't running and when a game starts it over heats
I've give all the combinations a go over the weekend :)

OK so I've tried the RAM in different configurations but the NetDIMM just boots with "Memory insufficient for game" if I have only a DIMM inserted into slot 2 (B6) so that just left 3x3 configurations to try - all with the same result.

I also tried triforcetools which was kindly supplied but was having no end of Python issues with that so gave up (Could not find module Crypto and then string should but byte errors)

Lastly, manged to get my hands on transfergame.exe - again, same result

As it was the weekend and had some time I also re-retried the Naomi BIOS reions settings (JP,US,Export) as well as the zero-pics again.

The DIMM is retaining it's IP between power cycles.

Question: When a successfully NETbooter does the network test - do you ever get a result other than N/A? Same for server as well? I've never been able to get anything other than N/A.. All I get is
NETWORK TEST
PROGRAM VER : 4.02
DIMM STATUS : GOOD

ETHER MODE
CHECKING NETWORK
REMOTE DISABLE
LOOPBACK - GOOD
GATEWAY -- N/A
SERVER -- N/A

--- COMPLETED ---

Usually if it was a bad pic it would Error 33 right out of the gate, not after it's already loaded the game.

Have you tried booting without the pi? Might be worth it to see rule out an issue with the pi. I can't recall the name of the program I use on my Surface, but that's how I netboot. I can check when I get home this evening.
"This is classic behavior IF the network connection of broken/interrupted and you don't have a proper zero pic/key." --- THIS ---

A decrypted game will load fine with a bad key. Error 33 happens when the timeout script "dies" (or doesn't run at all). Some games take longer to crash than others.

If all games boot fine and [some] eventually error 33 it's almost certainly your PIC is bad. an empty PIC would still load a game with DES 00000000 key and not die until gaetway checkin. The act of sending the game itself holds the gateway open at least that long. If you use the old triforcetools.py on a linux laptop, and leave "time limit hack looping" there is no need for a 0 key at all. 0 key is only needed to keep the machine "online" once you walk away with the "server."

"This is classic behavior IF the network connection of broken/interrupted and you don't have a proper zero pic/key." --- THIS ---
A decrypted game will load fine with a bad key. Error 33 happens when the timeout script "dies" (or doesn't run at all). Some games take longer to crash than others.

If all games boot fine and [some] eventually error 33 it's almost certainly your PIC is bad. an empty PIC would still load a game with DES 00000000 key and not die until gaetway checkin. The act of sending the game itself holds the gateway open at least that long. If you use the old triforcetools.py on a linux laptop, and leave "time limit hack looping" there is no need for a 0 key at all. 0 key is only needed to keep the machine "online" once you walk away with the "server."
I have 2 sets of ROMS.

One set supplied with another Netboot setup which is in my NAOMI Universal cab (which I don't have access to as I lost the key!!!) and the other set downloaded from a link on this forum in the NAOMI/Chihiro thread.

As far as I can tell, the ones I orginally had, which work fine in my NAOMI Universal Cab, are .bin files. The ones I downloaded from the link on this forum are .dat. I've tried both sets with the same results.

I've tried 3 Zero PIC chips.. They can't all be bad can they? as mentioned originally, 2 came from a recommeded source and the other was what was originally supplied and apparently working fine prior to me receiving the Netdimm setup..

I'm having the same issue here.

I have:
Naomi 1 with multibios
Netdimm that I upgraded from 3.17 to 4.01 (using netboot) with 512 MB ram (came with 256)
Powered via ATX power supply using the ATX-2-Naomi power adapter from Mitsurugi
Zero pic purchased off ebay

I've tried loading games via both a raspberry pi and transfergame.exe. If I use either of these, the game loads, does a memory check, reboots to load the game, then reboots to error 33 screen.

I've tried 6 or 7 different games, and the only one that works is Ikaruga.

If I use the naomi_boot.py script that continues to send the zero key code in the background, all games load fine.

I've checked the boards and don't see any damaged traces. Check the pic socket with multimeter to ensure no bad connections between the socket and the bottom of the board.

Tried swapping both 256 MB ram sticks around, or removing just one. Same issue.

Also purchased three blank PIC16F628A on my own and burned them with the same results. Used the file and guide here: How to Create a Zero Key (PIC) For Net Booting and CF on NAOMI Chihiro and Triforce

My writer is the GQ 4x4.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what else I can try?

I'm having the same issue here.

I have:
Naomi 1 with multibios
Netdimm that I upgraded from 3.17 to 4.01 (using netboot) with 512 MB ram (came with 256)
Powered via ATX power supply using the ATX-2-Naomi power adapter from Mitsurugi
Zero pic purchased off ebay

I've tried loading games via both a raspberry pi and transfergame.exe. If I use either of these, the game loads, does a memory check, reboots to load the game, then reboots to error 33 screen.

I've tried 6 or 7 different games, and the only one that works is Ikaruga.

If I use the naomi_boot.py script that continues to send the zero key code in the background, all games load fine.

I've checked the boards and don't see any damaged traces. Check the pic socket with multimeter to ensure no bad connections between the socket and the bottom of the board.

Tried swapping both 256 MB ram sticks around, or removing just one. Same issue.

Also purchased three blank PIC16F628A on my own and burned them with the same results. Used the file and guide here: How to Create a Zero Key (PIC) For Net Booting and CF on NAOMI Chihiro and Triforce

My writer is the GQ 4x4.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what else I can try?
I reached out in PM. My lab is packed up but I can send you a 'definitely tested and working' 0 key when I'm done moving, if you'd like. Just PM me back later on, if nobody else here sends you one 1st.

So I just had one idea to try: insert the pic fully as I had been doing, then slightly lift it up.

And it worked!!

I guess it's something with the socket itself. Don't think I'll bother replacing the socket as I don't think I'll ever have to remove the pic again.

tl;dr If you're having trouble with your pic, try removing it ever so slightly from the socket, see if it works.

And I am using a pic I burned myself using the code in the zero pic thread I linked above.

Thanks for the tip

Unfortunately it didn't work ;(

I tried various positions but nothing made a difference

This one's really got me stumped!

Checklist for netbooting:
Zero pic ✓
Right bios "multibios"✓
Jumpers, set to netboot✓ 

Set ip adress ✓ my 192.168.1.5
mask 255.255.255.0

Jumpers:

Attachments

• NetDimm_Jumpers_conf.png-nggid03748-ngg0dyn-320x240x100-00f0w010c010r110f110r010t010.png
    NetDimm_Jumpers_conf.png-nggid03748-ngg0dyn-320x240x100-00f0w010c010r110f110r010t010.png
    19.6 KB · Views: 1,207
Back