What's new

VectorGlow

Student
Reaction score
As far as I'm aware the DL-2027 handles the sprites, but are any of the other customs involved too?

I ask because I'm currently working on a 19xx B board which has horizontal lines through the sprites -the fault is definitely on the B board, the ROMs are fine, the sockets are fine and, more to the point, the lines are still present even with all of the graphics ROMs removed so indicating that the fault isn't with the ROMs or the reading of them.

I even replaced the DL-2027 to no avail.

Any ideas please?

Check the copper tracks around DL-1927 too. (That is also involved with sprites as far as I know)

If your sprite problem looks like the following picture (you said "horizontal" lines on a 19xx game and I assume a horizontal line problem of a vertical game is infact vertical lines technically), for your reference, I've fixed it with repairing some tracks (corroded vias infact) around DL-1927.

IMG_3616_sm.JPG

Another simple way to examine this kind of problem is to touch the legs of DL-1927 and nearby vias with your bare finger. If your graphics problems get better or worse, this might be an indication of some "floating" data lines most probably caused by a) corroded track/via b) faulty custom

hope this helps. good luck!

Huge thanks. Yes, you're right, as 19xx is a vertical game the lines look horizontal when, technically, I should have described them as vertical. :)

Your pic does indeed show a similar problem to the one on the 19xx. I'll do some intense checking around DL-1927

I'll update here should I eventually track down the cause.

Good. For more reference, these are the vias I fixed to get rid of the above problem ;)

IMG_3636_sm.jpg

Much appreciated. I've fixed more arcade boards than I've had hot dinners but besides resurrecting suicided B boards I've little experience with actually repairing them and figuring out what their customs do.

Back