planning to buy a pc engine - please school me

This site uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site, you are agreeing to our Cookie Policy.

• planning to buy a pc engine - please school me

Hey guys, recently i got pretty interested in buying a pc-engine, but i'm not so sure what the differences are between the systems are...

i was thinking of buying a duo / duo r /duo rx to have only one box standing around.

What are reasonable prices?

I'm not afraid of doing recaps (did some game gears, 2 snes and a mv1fz recently) and will certainly do an rgb mod...

Apart from that do i need anything else (i know i'll probably need a multitap...) ? what's it with the different memory extension cards?

and finally are there any games you recommend - i know of a few i certainly want, but so far i know the system mainly from videos and bomberman from the virtual console ;)

Thanks guys! :D
    • Beware that the briefcase cd systems don't really support CDRs that well, so if you plan to burn discs, don't bother with those. *maybe* it'll work, but no amount of tweaking could get mine to reliably read audio on some games, even with great cdr media, low burn speeds, etc. It's just not worth the time. An ODE could chamge all this, of course.

I think a white pc engine (or core) with Super SD System 3 is probably a decent way to go, although they need some modding to fix some silly video and audio pathway issues.
      There is no knowledge that is not power
    • *Disclaimer: I'm by no means an expert so if I get any details wrong please correct me

So it took me a while to wrap my head around all the different versions of this.

You have the PC-Engine:

There are a few different variations of this in different colors but they're essentially the same. you can get a Turbo Everdrive to emulate the game cards.

Then you can add a "CD-ROM2" to that using the IFU-30 "Briefcase":

The PCE, CD-ROM2, IFU-30 are all separate parts, the PCE also needs a special system card to play the CD-Games, there are a few different system cards for this, some of which are more expensive then the rest of the parts combined (thats a whole other topic itself).

There was also this CD add on that looked like a bigger console eating a smaller console:

Then you have the Turbo Graphix, which is basically just a PCE in a different form factor:

And it had it's own different interface unit for the CD-ROM2

For the most part these are decent and robust, the CD-ROM2 drives usually have belt failures or motor failures that are easy to fix. I personally own a Briefcase setup, because Deunan (the man behind the GDEMU, Rhea, Phoebe, and Doc Brown) is developing an ODE specifically for the CDROM2 units found in the above devices.

One other option for the PCE is the Super SD System 3:

This emulates the CD-ROM2 drive and game cards in addition to providing RGB output. I believe you don't need the special cards either. I've heard mixed reviews but I have no experience with it personally. This will only work with the PCE though, not the Turbo Graphix and not the Duo Systems.

Then you have the Duo Systems which combine the PCE and CD-ROM2 into a single unit.

There are three versions the Duo, the Duo-R, and the Duo-RX (there's also the Turbo Duo, which is just a Duo with a slightly different case)

It's my understanding that the Duo used really low quality components and is prone to cap problems, so you want the Duo-R. I think the only Difference between the Duo-R and Duo-RX is that the RX came with better controllers.

The cons here is that there is no ODE for the disc drive, nor is there one in development (though presumably once Deunan finishes the CDROM2 unit he'll make one for the Duo). One of the big Pros here though is that you don't need any of the special/expensive cards for the CD drive like you do in the older CDROM2 units.

TLDR;
      • If you want the most fully emulated setup: get a PCE with Super SD System 3.
      • If you want a setup that emulates the cards and the discs separately get an IFU-30 briefcase setup, a Turbo Everdrive and wait for the Deunan ODE.
      • If you want a simple and cool looking setup that uses discs get the Duo-R or RX
      Buy My 3D Printed Parts: bit-district.com
      Follow my projects: instagram | blog
      My PCB list: VAPS
      My Cabs: VOOT | RFM | Vewlix F| FiF Jr. | KI2 | UMK3 | E29 | E29| Net City | DDR

The post was edited 2 times, last by twistedsymphony ().

• thanks for all your replies!

i now more or less decided to get a duo r -

"The Duo-R is a redesigned PC Engine Duo which uses through-hole caps instead of surface mount." - console5

this sounds good since i don't get around recapping and i really loathe smd caps :P

Thanks @twistedsymphony for clearing up the special cards for the cd drives - that info i haven't found so far...

as @Derick2k suggested i was planning to get voultar's rgb mod and the everdrive - as tempting as an ode sounds, deunan's "ordering system" prevented me from buying his gdemu and buying the other one - if there's ever the time it is aviable i'll just have to get a second system :P
    • twistedsymphony wrote:

If you want a setup that emulates the cards and the discs separately get an IFU-30 briefcase setup, a Turbo Everdrive and wait for the Deunan ODE.
      This was my choice, as I feel it will be the most faithful.
      The Super SD System 3 has known issues of both audio and video noise, please see My Life in Gamings review.

You know burning CDR for the briefcase is also a fine solution while you wait for the ODE. ;)

If you want to go a little fancier route, PCE Works has some great bootlegs unlicensed reproductions. :D
      I personally own the Dracula X and Bomberman 94/Bonk 3 represses, fantastic quality.

Darksoft: CPS3, ST-V, CPS2, F3, MVS
      RGB: RECO v2, HAS v3

[genesis] [segacd] [saturn] [dreamcast_ss] [nes-101] [snes] [n64] [gamecube] [pce] [pcecd] [psx]

The post was edited 1 time, last by jassin000 ().

• I started with a briefcase setup but the lack of an integrated system card, memory management and slower read speeds led to me grabbing a Duo-R, followed by a Duo as I have a soft spot for PCE.

As mentioned, I notice that the Duos load CD games a lot faster. Having sys card 3 built in is handy and at least there's a small amount of room for save data.

Duo-Rs are great as they tend to be easier to find in a working state. I do prefer the black Duo though, better quality PCB and headphone Jack.

Core Grafx with CD add-on is another option but the CD add-on always needs a recap and it's a bit of an awkward setup.
    • Frank_fjs wrote:

As mentioned, I notice that the Duos load CD games a lot faster. Having sys card 3 built in is handy and at least there's a small amount of room for save data.
      But with system card 3 built in... How can you play this stage (X) in Dracula X?

;)
      Darksoft: CPS3, ST-V, CPS2, F3, MVS
      RGB: RECO v2, HAS v3

[genesis] [segacd] [saturn] [dreamcast_ss] [nes-101] [snes] [n64] [gamecube] [pce] [pcecd] [psx]
    • Frank_fjs wrote:

Apparantly it happens when you try to run Dracula X without an adequate system card. Like a little mini game parody telling you to use system card 3.
      aha, never seen it in my Duo ;)
      Just love how easy to use and versatile the system is, no fuss with extra cards and interfaces for CD :)
      Still need to recap and RGB mod mine, Voultar board just came in last week...
    • I have : white pc engine , coregrafx II and a supergrafx . if you can , grab a supergrafx , but also ... u can plan to get a de-10 nano for MiSTER project with an IO board and xs SDram board and you'll have a nice journey with this new jewel!
      Darksoft Multi's : CPS2 / Taito F3
      Scalers : OSSC v1.6 / XRGB Mini Freimeister / RetroTINK-2X
      Superguns : HAS v3.1

[nes-101] [pce] [genesis] [segacd] [neogeo] [snes] [saturn] [n64] [gamecube] [dreamcast_ss]