What's new
Wish it was MK2... I HATE every MK after 2 with varying degrees of passion.
Port MK Trilogy? Please god NO! I mean fuck have you even played it? How could you want to play it again?
How could you not want to convert every MK3 PCB you've ever seen into something good like Rampage World Tour?

First MK with Cyrax.
You mean the yellow palette swap robot, or is that the red one? *snicker*

When MK1 came out large amounts of memory for character data was expensive.
The palette swapping of the ninja's (Scorpion, Sub-Zero, Reptile) was a clever way around that limit.

By the time MK3 arrived, not only was the series well established, justifying a larger hardware budget...
But memory prices and sizes had also become more reasonable.

What I'm trying to say is at the time of MK3's release, palette swapping 3 robots (Cyrax, Sektor, Smoke) wasn't clever...
It was lazy!
mk3_cyborgninjas.gif

Same with the entire Dial-a-Combo system.
It's a shortcut to the actual daisy-chaining of normal movies into what essentially becomes an unblockable (if performed quickly) after the first hit.
Not at all like memorizing or dialing a phone number that displays a series of pre-rendered actions on-screen.

Is MK3 a shallow cash grab? No... It was a misguided attempt to keep advancing/evolving the series.
While relying on lazy shortcuts as a means to a desired end, and I mean LAZY!

Why did 4 legs just come out of this one dude when he was killed?
Kung-Lao-MK3-Fatality.jpg

Last time I checked humans only have two legs. It's almost like the developers just didn't give a fuck... Hmmmm. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought similar things about MK3 until the various UMK3 guys starting making their videos around 2004, which turned me around completely. The tournament life of UMK3 has lasted far longer than the other games, too. Now UMK3 is pretty much the only MK that exists for me.

RC2/MUSIC/MID has the original MIDI sequences for all the music. The accompanying document suggests they were sequenced on a Kurzweil K2000 with lots of custom patches, so they sound like arse when played back on anything else. Still very cool nonetheless :)

RC2/MUSIC/MID has the original MIDI sequences for all the music. The accompanying document suggests they were sequenced on a Kurzweil K2000 with lots of custom patches, so they sound like arse when played back on anything else. Still very cool nonetheless :)
I always love the technical details like this of sound composition on the games, thanks for sharing.

I’m assuming with these leaks, you’ve now got access to the toolchains to compile stuf for the arcade boards they came on?

Would be super cool to try and make some home brew software run on the original hardware.

I’m assuming with these leaks, you’ve now got access to the toolchains to compile stuf for the arcade boards they came on?

Would be super cool to try and make some home brew software run on the original hardware.
No, the tool chains are still missing.

But I managed to track down a copy which are on 5-1/4" floppy disks, waiting on the generous person who offered to donate them to ship my way :)

I'd quite a like a copy of said tool chain whenever you get it ;) On a similar note, a copy of the TMS34020 software simulator would be nice to have too (I already have the TMS34010 one).

no longer available for download :( Any available link?

No, the tool chains are still missing.
But I managed to track down a copy which are on 5-1/4" floppy disks, waiting on the generous person who offered to donate them to ship my way :)
Do you have the toolchain yet? Just curious. Even if we did have it, I doubt the arcade source can be compiled completely. All of the .glo files that are referenced throughout the source are missing for some reason.

All of the .glo files that are referenced throughout the source are missing for some reason
there is 2 missing in total I think ? imgtbl.glo and bgndtbl.glo, expected to be .H-like files consists of .set or .equ or .global directives. in theory they might be recreated after MK3 rev2.1 game code disassembly and analysis.

I think bigger problem is missing project or makefile, so its not clear how to compile and link all these .ASM source files.

Last edited:
Do you have the toolchain yet? Just curious. Even if we did have it, I doubt the arcade source can be compiled completely. All of the .glo files that are referenced throughout the source are missing for some reason.
No, not yet. You are correct there are two files missing, but that is something we can definitely solve.

I think bigger problem is missing project or makefile, so its not clear how to compile and link all these .ASM source files.
We've solved much more difficult problems before :D

All of the .glo files that are referenced throughout the source are missing for some reason
there is 2 missing in total I think ? imgtbl.glo and bgndtbl.glo, expected to be .H-like files consists of .set or .equ or .global directives. in theory they might be recreated after MK3 rev2.1 game code disassembly and analysis.
Well we do have a makefile for the arcade version in RC2\MUSIC\MK3SND. Even if it is just for building the sound roms, it could still be handy for tracking down what tools they used and how to compile some of this stuff.

Hey, so forgive me if I am resurrecting a dead thread (I am), and if that's not allowed I truly apologize.

I wanted to let you guys know that UMK3+ is still very much alive and is going to be released publicly very soon! I'm in the final stages of development, fixing the last few tweaks that need to be made.

The trilogy source code dump was very helpful in the creation of Rain in public beta 1, and giving Noob real life in Beta 2! He's not the broken mess that he was in the consoles and Trilogy, but still very fun to play.

The source dump has been SUPER helpful. Arcade Trilogy, if it happens, is still a ways away for Team Plus, but it's absolutely something that can be done.

Hey, so forgive me if I am resurrecting a dead thread (I am), and if that's not allowed I truly apologize.

I wanted to let you guys know that UMK3+ is still very much alive and is going to be released publicly very soon! I'm in the final stages of development, fixing the last few tweaks that need to be made.

The trilogy source code dump was very helpful in the creation of Rain in public beta 1, and giving Noob real life in Beta 2! He's not the broken mess that he was in the consoles and Trilogy, but still very fun to play.

The source dump has been SUPER helpful. Arcade Trilogy, if it happens, is still a ways away for Team Plus, but it's absolutely something that can be done.
Drew, very awesome! I've been following your work on Discord and it is glorious!

No to take away from it, BUT, any updates on MK1+ and MK2+? I know Paul has taken a break from 1, but any chance to release it as is or is it too buggy for now?

awesome news!!!

Drew, very awesome! I've been following your work on Discord and it is glorious!

No to take away from it, BUT, any updates on MK1+ and MK2+? I know Paul has taken a break from 1, but any chance to release it as is or is it too buggy for now?

If I recall correctly, it's still on hold. Paul ran into some issues with things that show up on hardware but not on mame when there are a bunch of assets on screen. Still on a break.

Back