What's new

penrhos

Grand Master
Reaction score
Picked one of these up to have a play with - it was only 3000 Yen so worth it for the case, pity it didn't have the hard drive with it...

Quick tour of the outside.

DSC05553 (Medium).JPG

DSC05554 (Medium).JPG

DSC05565 (Medium).JPG

DSC05566 (Medium).JPG

DSC05567 (Medium).JPG

DSC05568 (Medium).JPG

Undo eight screws and the top lifts off.

DSC05555 (Medium).JPG

Quick tour of the inside reveals its a M-ITX PCB and a JVS board that looks like it works the same as the JVS-IO PCB in the other TTX units.

DSC05556 (Medium).JPG

DSC05558 (Medium).JPG

DSC05559 (Medium).JPG

DSC05560 (Medium).JPG

DSC05561 (Medium).JPG

DSC05562 (Medium).JPG

DSC05563 (Medium).JPG

DSC05564 (Medium).JPG

I'm going to have a play with it to see what I can do but currently don't have the PSU for it. I'm pretty sure it's a 12V 4A but haven't been able to find a decent picture of the PSU where you can make out what voltage it is and the polarity.

There isn't anything on TTX0 I'm interested in but I think a standard M-itx PCB and a Pico PSU could be a nice option for running MAME in the Vewlix (If I can get the JVS PCB running under windows 7).

I don't suppose anyone has any ideas what some of the empty connectors are for?

update : Its a 18.5V 85W Laptop PSU (a HP/Compaq one works fine).

Last edited:
OK, I found the PSU specs - 19VDC 90W laptop PSU. I have a Dell/HP one that matches that spec and will have a few hours free tonight.

Still need a HDD caddy for it (or the measurements & some good pictures so I can try to reproduce it.

If you are able to run something like bigbox or hyperspin along with all the most taxing of emulators that would be a substantial achievement at 3,000 yen.

That's going to be my next plan, get an emulator box for 99.99% of games and systems as it works out a million times cheaper than buying individual consoles along with expensive ODE's and such.

Wow, that's a BEAUTIFUL case! My TTX2 came with a metal case with the system's logo stamped. Nowhere near as cool as yours.

OK - found a PSU that's the correct spec and the unit powers up. I just get the Taito Type-x Zero splash screen and nothing else.

DSC05573 (Large).JPG

Anyone know how to get into the bios - I've tried F2, F10, Del most of the usual options...

DSC05575 (Large).JPG

Failing that - can you swap the bios chip for a standard one?

I'm thinking, desolder the top right chip, install a 8-pin DIP socket, then a standard bios and see if it boots.

Any ideas on how I program a standard bios chip - I have the flash program and the rom file, but what chip do I need and how do I program it when I don't have a booting PC?

Last edited:
Have you tried hooking up the hard drive to a PC to see if it works? (I mean -- if your computer can "see" the hard drive and if you can access its partition). I'm not quite sure, but I believe TTX uses a few "defaults" and won't let you fiddle with BIOS options, even though it's a pc-based arcade system.

Your best bet would be to ask our local TTX/X2/X3 expert, @Niko

I've desoldered the bios chip - its a Windbond 25Q80BVSIG and replaced it with a dip-8 socket - now I need to source some Windbond 25X80VA1Z which are the dip equivalent.

I've also located the OEM BIOS file.

Once I've sourced some chips I'll clone the TTX0 onto a dip-8 and also burn an OEM bios and see how far I get...

Right - after waiting ages for the chips & adapters to arrive from China I finally have the bits.

I found the OEM bios buried in the zotac website and used my trusty minipro 866CS to write it to a blank chip - I extracted the .ROM file from the P108.zip package and burnt it the same as a normal rom/bin file from MAME.

Swapped the TTX0 custom bios for the OEM one and success - the motherboard boots as normal and I can get into the bios using "Del" and change settings (no passwords for anything) so it looks like theres no TPM implemented..

I'll try installing an OS onto a flash-drive tonight to see if I can get it to work as a normal PC.

The JVS pcb still reboots the PC if you leave it in the bios for long enough so I'm pretty sure that's working as it should.

The OEM bios is attached.

DSC05650.JPG

DSC05651.JPG

DSC05653.JPG

Attachments

• TTX0.7z
    756.3 KB · Views: 415
Last edited:
Up ^^

I have buy 2 TTX0, but with no hdd :(.

One 302A and one 306A.
The 2 units boot into the splash screen.

Can someone help me ?

The Type X Zero uses ATA LOCKED drives.
The platform itself is very weak (Atom).
TAITO used it in some redemption games as the controller.

Back