What's new
Let's find where in the chain there is an issue - do you get an image from the GBS-8220 when plugged into a monitor directly? Furthermore, is this with GBS-control, or the stock firmware? The GBS-8xxx series is not known for great compatibility or performance when stock, so it would be good to determine if that is working correctly first.

Second, does your capture device not accept 15KHz RGB directly? If you have not tried, it might be worth giving it a shot.
I was a able to get an image from the GBS to a monitor directly

This was done with stock firmware, and has been working for me for a while now.
Here is how it looked on stream before hand with the stock GBS-8220

( http://www.twitch.tv/dabsandcabs/v/687079659?sr=a&t=1s )

I am also using this capture device

(https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PC5HUA6/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_krngFbGSZ4APX )

Going to try and connect my GBS-8220 back up and see what gives......

They both use VGA so idk what the problem is. If anyone is using OBS with the Splitfire, can you perhaps provide some pics of your video configurations?

Ok, so, to be clear, the situation right now is:

Splitfire --> GBS --> Monitor = working image
Splitfire --> GBS --> USB3HDCAP = non-working image

If that is the case, then the USB3HDCAP is not cooperating with the output of the GBS, or doesn't like that game's sync rates.

If you use an older driver, the USB3HDCAP can directly take 15KHz / 240p sources through the VGA input. You can try bypassing the GBS that way; the GBS does not do a great job with the stock firmware, so you might see some improvement across the board regardless by doing that.

You can see what the driver is reporting. It should indicate that it's receiving a signal. Furthermore, you can see if the GBS menu comes up when the screen is black. That might also give us a clue.

This blog post has the modified drivers for the USB3HDCAP that should let you simply bypass the GBS and pass the output straight to the USB3HDCAP: https://thethrillness.blogspot.com/2015/01/startech-usb3hdcap-review.html

Ok, so, to be clear, the situation right now is:

Splitfire --> GBS --> Monitor = working image
Splitfire --> GBS --> USB3HDCAP = non-working image

If that is the case, then the USB3HDCAP is not cooperating with the output of the GBS, or doesn't like that game's sync rates.

If you use an older driver, the USB3HDCAP can directly take 15KHz / 240p sources through the VGA input. You can try bypassing the GBS that way; the GBS does not do a great job with the stock firmware, so you might see some improvement across the board regardless by doing that.

You can see what the driver is reporting. It should indicate that it's receiving a signal. Furthermore, you can see if the GBS menu comes up when the screen is black. That might also give us a clue.

This blog post has the modified drivers for the USB3HDCAP that should let you simply bypass the GBS and pass the output straight to the USB3HDCAP: https://thethrillness.blogspot.com/2015/01/startech-usb3hdcap-review.html
Originally it was :
  • (Before purchasing Splitfire)Cps3 ---> Paradise blue elf adapter (take rgb signals to GBS) ---> GBS ---> USB3HDCAP ---> PC = working
Now its

• Cps3 ---> Splitfire ---> USB3HDCAP = working
I never used the Splitfire and GBS together. I got the Splitfire to get rid of the GBS.

I'm not sure what happened exactly but I found the USB3HDCAP install CD, and tried installing drivers from the cd again. But I guess that fixed it for whatever reason?

I don't get why it works now when I didnt change any settings,but I guess the drivers from the cd made it work again.

Going back to what you said about using Splitfire and GBS-8220. As I didn't try it, would it work as a form of vga splitter and have the 2nd VGA to another monitor?

Is your capture device even capacble of taking 15khz signals or does it work with 31khz, Hi-Def?
If not, there is your solution. You need something to upscale to a resosultion your capture device will accept in order to get an Image in OBS.

Is your capture device even capacble of taking 15khz signals or does it work with 31khz, Hi-Def?
If not, there is your solution. You need something to upscale to a resosultion your capture device will accept in order to get an Image in OBS.
I got it to work now! Just gotta tinker with more settings to get a better resolution. Still looking a lil fuzzy.

Glad you got it going. When I had a USB3HDCAP, it was always a pretty touchy device, as far as drivers and config were concerned. Right now, my setup is

Splitfire --[analog RGB] --> OSSC (set to 4x) --[HDMI]--> Magewell HDMI capture

A similar chain could be done, sending the OSSC's HDMI/DVI output to the USB3HDCAP. That is what I did before going with the above chain.

Glad you got it going. When I had a USB3HDCAP, it was always a pretty touchy device, as far as drivers and config were concerned. Right now, my setup is

A similar chain could be done, sending the OSSC's HDMI/DVI output to the USB3HDCAP. That is what I did before going with the above chain.

I was considering getting the OSSC, but I also recently ordered the CPS2/3 digital av HDMI pcb board. I'm possibly gonna try that as well.

Any reason for ditching the USB3HDCAP?

It's just not a very high quality capture. the RGB input seems to have a fixed internal horizontal resolution, and has pretty poor bandwidth for color. It looks like it also converts to YUV and has a bit of delay on the red as well. As for the HDMI/DVI capture, it works ok, but doesn't support 4:4:4 so clarity of hard-edged colors was never satisfactory.

any estimate on when the next batch is going out? I registered for one on shmups so no clue what position I am at lol. @Hatsune Mike

Last edited:
I'll get in on this too, put me down for one if you can.

Hello, I recently changed my username (the previous one was loloC2C), would it be possible to update your list @hoagtech please ?

I've kept my spreadsheet up to date, so I have you both added / updated.

Right now, the supply of packaging has been exhausted, so there is going to be a redesign of the box so that it can fit inside a small flat rate box. The current design is needlessly large.

Can I do a quick survey of who actually 1) read the manual and 2) found it useful when setting it up?

I didn't read the manual. But mine was one of the earlier orders and didn't come with one. I seemed to have managed. :)

I received a unit before the manuals were included, I think I would only look at it for troubleshooting purposes.. I'm pretty terrible at keeping paper documents around to begin with.

My number came up to get one and I am so excited to try it out when it gets to me here in Korea. I am slowly building up my arsenal of arcade stuff to host folks coming over.

Last edited:
Back