What's new
Goes by Casey if you sound out his name like you're hooked on phonics.
C4cB.gif

As far as the story with my client goes, its different.

- Client was instructed not to buy it. As they are not a hobbyist looking to fix things. Player only.
- Client bought it anyway and hired me to fix any issues and provide parts to make it fully functional.
- He bought it off eBay and not only had buyer protection, it was listed "original and working".
- Since it was from eBay, although he paid more, he had PP/eBay protection.

So a different situation and a little more pull to get things corrected since it arrived with a non-stock and hacked monitor (Vewlix L Cab).
To which the seller KC corrected the situation after showing him all the reasons why it wasn't stock due to his lack of knowledge of the cabinets.

Definitely not the guy @Asure posted.

Hah, that'll teach me not to reply to posts at work, i misread @nem 's post and thought it was Japhei up to his old tricks, lol.

Hah, that'll teach me not to reply to posts at work, i misread @nem 's post and thought it was Japhei up to his old tricks, lol.
Trust me if it was Japhei, 90% of the forum would be calling him out lol.

Hey- so I'm sorry to have sounded rude up top. I have no beef with anyone, it's just difficult dealing with KC. I put "Casey" since even though I picked up the cab from him in person, I'd never seen his name spelled, only spoken. This thread (for me) really isn't about talking shit. I just want to see if I can do anything before I lug it over to Gene's.

I agreed to buy the cab that was powering a board and had sound, but no picture because I knew I had some very knowledgeable friends, and ultimately Gene as the Final Solution at my back. Once it's cleaned up a bit more it'll look great.

KC's monitor from the Astro is a Toshiba, # A68KJU96X. This is from the Toshiba sticker on the monitor back.

It has another sticker reading "SEGA Part No. 200-5242-15-04." Underneath that number is a rectangle with "MS9-29S" printed inside.

I made sure that the connectors from the molex are seated well in the pcb, but I don't know much about troubleshooting a monitor yet. I've been into shmup boards via supergun for a long time, but I'm new to having my own cab. Dissassembling and then reassembling it taught me a bit though!

BTW KC kept saying that the monitor worked, it "just needs a different connector." I have no idea if that is relevant or not.

Also, I can't see any burn-in while the monitor is off. KC had a monitor there in a Blast I think with CRAZY WILD burn-in while it was off, so I do know what that looks like now.

Toshiba is just the manufacter of the tube. Typically, the chassis manufacter is what the monitor goes by. What you have is a Nanao ms9-29s. How did you go about hooking up your supergun to the Nanao?

Did you buy a New Astro City or just an Astro City? On the back of the monitor chassis there are two knobs screen and focus. Try turning the screen knob up and see if you see white lines.

Ok cool. My friend and I took my supergun (weeks before buying the cab) to Gene, and he and a group of his geniuses wired up a custom cable that goes from the supergun to a molex connector that just goes directly to the monitor. Degaussing button and all!

My supergun was made by Matt, a Canadian dude everyone was getting superguns from in the early to mid 2000s. It has a power plug to the wall, as well as another power out above that. That's the one connected to the monitor.

My cab is an OG Astro. I'll fiddle with those two knobs later and report back.

Last edited:
I guess by "later" I meant Right Fuckin' Now.

When I turn the Screen knob on the chassis board all the way up, I hear a clicking sound. No picture/lines.

Also, with the aid of a flashlight I am seeing burn-in from the baseball game this cab was running (it had the stickers on the bezel, and the cab had the manual/other sticker in the bottom of it).

None of the caps seem to be leaking, but I don't really know what I'm looking for there.

Ok, the clicking leads me to believe that the flyback might be shitting the bed. I would recommend sending the chassis to Sharp Image Repair and having them do a flyback replacement along with a cap kit while its there. Gene might even have someone who can do that repair for you if it's local.

Sorry that you got a tube with burn in on it, but unfortunately CRTs without it at this point are few and far between. The cab scene nowadays is kinda take what you can get unless you want to pay a high price or are fortunate enough to get find a hobbyist selling theirs.

Curious about your supergun. Is it out putting RGB?
I've also never seen a supergun that has AC Out. Could you post a picture of it?

The supergun does RGB, yes. I used to play my shmup boards on a Commodore 1084s monitor for years.

I'll post all sorts of pictures once I find my phone/get a new one. The supergun is a bespoke thing by this dude Matt. All I know is the first name. He made a bunch before everyone started buying those super tiny ones from the UK (they were way cheap, so).

Doing some reading, I found this comment regarding my monitor (Nanao):

"I have repaired over 4000 of these chassis in the past 18 years and have never once seen one of these flybacks fail , they have never been available as spare part ."

I believe that the comment comes from these people- http://www.jomac.net.au/services/monitors/

Seems like bad flyback = new chassis. At any rate, this seems like a job for Gene. Vintage Arcade Superstore or whatever it's called is here in town, so I'll take it to him if KC decides to not be cool about getting me something that works.

Doing some reading, I found this comment regarding my monitor (Nanao):

"I have repaired over 4000 of these chassis in the past 18 years and have never once seen one of these flybacks fail , they have never been available as spare part ."

I believe that the comment comes from these people- http://www.jomac.net.au/services/monitors/

Seems like bad flyback = new chassis. At any rate, this seems like a job for Gene. Vintage Arcade Superstore or whatever it's called is here in town, so I'll take it to him if KC decides to not be cool about getting me something that works.
Flybacks can be replaced. I'm no arcade tech, but I've been dealing with these monitors for 15 years and I've seen a few dead flybacks. I've read that quote before and I think that guys full of shit tbh.

Honestly, you agreed to a price on the machine knowing that the monitor wasn't working. While its shit business / customer service, that's what you get from KC. If you were sold the cab as working and it arrived broken, then it would be a different story.

Chalk it up to experience. Get the Nanao redone, and you'll have a nice backup monitor and should be good to go with the Astro for many years to come

Jomac isn't full of it, he's probably the most knowledgeable person re arcade chassis.

Jomac isn't full of it, he's probably the most knowledgeable person re arcade chassis.
He probably is, but reading some of his posts and responses...it sounds like he's got a pretty big ego. I guess you sorta get like that when you're one of the only people in the world with a high success rate on fixing nanao monitors

I didn't say they're not knowledgeable. If I remember correctly, that quote is about MS9-2931. In that thread they say that the black goo is conductive...which it isn't. Also, I've seen probably half a dozen flybacks shit the bed on MS9-2931, two of which I owned. So to say that he's worked on 4000 of those chassis and never seen a flyback die is utter bullshit.

Back