What's new
There is not a single MS8 produced that centers gain around 0 instead of Vp/2. Changing the gain offsets the bias for a given color channel, and there isn't a unified contrast control.
If this is regarding my G2 comment, then you have no clue what I'm referring too on that troubleshooting step.

You are also comparing a 90s tech chassis Vs a mid 80s tech chassis btw.

Last edited:
There is not a single MS8 produced that centers gain around 0 instead of Vp/2. Changing the gain offsets the bias for a given color channel, and there isn't a unified contrast control.
If this is regarding my G2 comment, then you have no clue what I'm referring too on that troubleshooting step.
You are also comparing a 90s tech chassis Vs a mid 80s tech chassis btw.
I'm referring to why the MS8 is a turd, and every MS8 ever produced is a turd.

2023 EDIT: I have since discovered two variants of interest - one has more or less the entire MS9-29 color circuit on a bigger daughtercard, and a different brown remote board with a Contrast knob. This one is an okay chassis. The other has the same green remote board and no contrast knob, but a more complicated color amp daughtercard that at least behaves more how I'd hope a decent monitor would with regards to the pedestal level.

Last edited:
I run 9 of them 32 hours/week with rarely an issue. And any issue i've had (all different issues), a cap kit solved it. 4 out of 9 capped so far. Coincidentally, I only have 1 MS9 and that one is dead.

I run 9 of them 32 hours/week with rarely an issue. And any issue i've had (all different issues), a cap kit solved it. 4 out of 9 capped so far. Coincidentally, I only have 1 MS9 and that one is dead.
While I don't run my machines nearly as much, I have pretty much the same story. Except for the MS8 that was jammed into an MVSU4...that one's given me some issues 8)

Cool. This is what we tell newer ppl in the hobby? That a reliable chassis that doesn't meet your silly requirements is a turd. Awesome attitude dude.

I'm leaving it at that, for the sake of the forums.

The MS8-26SU is my probably favorite chassis. Looks absolutely amazing dialed in and runs like a champ. I admit, getting the colors right takes slightly longer than on other chassis, but once it's set, it's perfect.

The MS8-29FSG is fine as well, but either it runs pretty hot or the ones I have have seen some serious use, because the solder had cracked in all three and the screen went black intermittently. Once reflowed all three sprung back in to life.

The only negative I can think of is that both chassis are missing one somewhat useful control. Parallelogram. You could always try to realign the yoke, but fortunately mine aren't skewed that bad.

The MS8-26SU is my probably favorite chassis. Looks absolutely amazing dialed in and runs like a champ. I admit, getting the colors right takes slightly longer than on other chassis, but once it's set, it's perfect.

The MS8-29FSG is fine as well, but either it runs pretty hot or the ones I have have seen some serious use, because the solder had cracked in all three and the screen went black intermittently. Once reflowed all three sprung back in to life.

The only negative I can think of is that both chassis are missing one somewhat useful control. Parallelogram. You could always try to realign the yoke, but fortunately mine aren't skewed that bad.
26SU is a fucking work horse. With a recap, those things last forever. And yes, dialing those monitors in are a bitch and a half.

Back