What's new
Mitsurugi-W,

Thanks for the response. Would have to find someone parting out an old cabinet I guess - would be great to have a hack for any general touchscreen.

Can you clarify as well - The JVS I/O Type 2 works with all the Lindbergh games on your kit except for Hummer? And HOTD EX requires an HD screen? Otherwise, the other games work with the Type 2 and a "normal" display but may require other peripherals to make it function "properly". Just trying to make sure a Type 2 would be worth it until trying to find a Type 3 which seems virtually impossible. If the Type 2 plays all but one game; it would be worth the investment.
Thanks.

I honestly have no idea what kind of screen or how it was even connected to the lindbergh. I can't help you much there. Would like to know myself though.
I was curious about this so I started looking through the Primeval Hunt service manual.

The monitor looks like it's a standard off-the-shelf piece of kit. it has it's own plastic case (which is completely hidden by the arcade cabinet. and it's own internal power supply since it just plugs into an outlet with a standard 3-prong power connector like what you'd find on a consumer monitor or PC.

the wiring diagram shows it has 2 cables connecting to COM1 and COM2 on the Lindbergh unit itself. but I'd guess that this is incorrect as it's most likely using the 2nd video port on the graphics card for video output and then just com1 port for the touch information. There's a B&W photo of the Lindbergh unit elsewhere in the manual that seems to confirm this with a cable in the DVI port and the COM1 port routed up toward the touch screen. You could probably confirm video output for the second monitor by just plugging something into the other port for that game.

It seems most kiosk style touch screens uses a standard Accutouch protocol over an RS232 connection so I'd be willing to bet that's exactly what this is. it also seems you can pickup used kiosk monitors for as low as $40 on ebay too... which might make this worth trying to see if you can just plug one of these in and have it work.

if you didn't want to go that route, depending on how available that protocol is it might be possible to produce the correct serial output from something like a Pi and then split off the analog output from the guns to that to let you shoot where you want to select.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information. I also saw some cheap touchcreen monitors on Ebay and was hoping that might work. Might have to give this a try and see what happens. If anyone goes ahead and tries it, would be great to provide feedback to this thread if it worked or not. Eliminating the need for the touchscreen altogether would be even better, if anyone wanted to tackle that as it would be a nice improvement.

Thanks for the information. I also saw some cheap touchcreen monitors on Ebay and was hoping that might work. Might have to give this a try and see what happens. If anyone goes ahead and tries it, would be great to provide feedback to this thread if it worked or not. Eliminating the need for the touchscreen altogether would be even better, if anyone wanted to tackle that as it would be a nice improvement.
I'm still waiting for my Lindbergh to arrive but once it's in and I can confirm it's working I'll be ordering a multi-kit and start playing around with some of this stuff.

I honestly have no idea what kind of screen or how it was even connected to the lindbergh. I can't help you much there. Would like to know myself though.
I was curious about this so I started looking through the Primeval Hunt service manual.
The monitor looks like it's a standard off-the-shelf piece of kit. it has it's own plastic case (which is completely hidden by the arcade cabinet. and it's own internal power supply since it just plugs into an outlet with a standard 3-prong power connector like what you'd find on a consumer monitor or PC.

the wiring diagram shows it has 2 cables connecting to COM1 and COM2 on the Lindbergh unit itself. but I'd guess that this is incorrect as it's most likely using the 2nd video port on the graphics card for video output and then just com1 port for the touch information. There's a B&W photo of the Lindbergh unit elsewhere in the manual that seems to confirm this with a cable in the DVI port and the COM1 port routed up toward the touch screen. You could probably confirm video output for the second monitor by just plugging something into the other port for that game.

It seems most kiosk style touch screens uses a standard Accutouch protocol over an RS232 connection so I'd be willing to bet that's exactly what this is. it also seems you can pickup used kiosk monitors for as low as $40 on ebay too... which might make this worth trying to see if you can just plug one of these in and have it work.

if you didn't want to go that route, depending on how available that protocol is it might be possible to produce the correct serial output from something like a Pi and then split off the analog output from the guns to that to let you shoot where you want to select.
Any progress made on touchscreen research? A fully working Primeval Hunt setup would be a dream come true for me. I'll eventually experiment with this if no one else does before I get to it.

Any progress made on touchscreen research? A fully working Primeval Hunt setup would be a dream come true for me. I'll eventually experiment with this if no one else does before I get to it.
There seems to be an option in the primeval hunt game menu to disable the touch screen. I'm not entirely sure if it does what we hope it does. I haven't hooked up my Lindy to a proper gun setup to actually test it out though.

There seems to be an option in the primeval hunt game menu to disable the touch screen. I'm not entirely sure if it does what we hope it does. I haven't hooked up my Lindy to a proper gun setup to actually test it out though.
I've had the pleasure of playing a dedicated unit once. It's pretty cool being able to move around in the middle of a level. If I could get a touch screen working, even though this is the only game that uses it, I'd do it. Besides, it might not even be much of an investment. I'm finding this arcade hobby to be downright cheap compared to my pinball hobby! :P

If I could get a touch screen working, even though this is the only game that uses it, I'd do it.
what I eventually ran into is that there isn't just a single touch screen protocol... https://touch-base.com/documentation/Identifying touch screen controllers.htm
there are many of them: http://touch-base.com/touch_device_list.asp

so while it's obvious that the machine uses an off-the-shelf touch screen unit. if you wanted to make it work at home you'd need to figure out what protocol that unit uses and then find another screen that uses the same protocol. you wont have the luxury of installing drivers for any-old screen, you'll have to work with whatever drivers are built into the game.

unless you can get some good pictures of what the actual touch monitor looks like outside of the machine (to get a mfg and model number) your next best option would be use a microcontroller and spoof various touch-screen style outputs until you find one that the game accepts.

the NAOMI had a few touch screen games and accepted touch inputs through the JVS boards so maybe the JVS had a particular protocol they preferred that carried over to the Lindy... it'd be a good place to start.

If I could get a touch screen working, even though this is the only game that uses it, I'd do it.
what I eventually ran into is that there isn't just a single touch screen protocol... https://touch-base.com/documentation/Identifying touch screen controllers.htmthere are many of them: http://touch-base.com/touch_device_list.asp

so while it's obvious that the machine uses an off-the-shelf touch screen unit. if you wanted to make it work at home you'd need to figure out what protocol that unit uses and then find another screen that uses the same protocol. you wont have the luxury of installing drivers for any-old screen, you'll have to work with whatever drivers are built into the game.

unless you can get some good pictures of what the actual touch monitor looks like outside of the machine (to get a mfg and model number) your next best option would be use a microcontroller and spoof various touch-screen style outputs until you find one that the game accepts.

the NAOMI had a few touch screen games and accepted touch inputs through the JVS boards so maybe the JVS had a particular protocol they preferred that carried over to the Lindy... it'd be a good place to start.
They have a lot of pics of the unit here. Not sure if the model # given is a Sega part # or the manufacturer's.

http://www.arcadespareparts.com/arcade_parts/sega_parts/15_touch_screen/12241.html

Nothing clear enough to read the label on the back, though.

Maybe it's playable with that option off? I can't imagine it would be as fun. Does it just automatically move you wherever it wants to on the map?

Per the manual:

9 Set TOUCH PANEL -
Use in an Emergency if Touch Panel breaks down. (Default - ON) If set to OFF, the Touch Panel will operate in the following way :
A : The Data Receipt from the Touch Panel is disregarded.
B : The Main Screen will not show any instruction regarding the Touch Panel.
C : The Time for a Automatic movement when not pushed at all becomes earlier.
D : Does not show tips (Instruction on how to use the Touch Panel)

Looks like it would just become a rail shooter.

Anyways, 200-6086 is the Sega part number. The pictures on that site don't help.....much. By looking at the form factor I came across this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172072609984 --The cheapest working used units on Ebay. There are new units for much more.

It's an ELO Touchscreen. It's branded a few different ways but the model number is ET1515L. It sometimes says Tyco Electronics but the model number is the same.

adz1qf.jpg

Looks like it would just become a rail shooter.

Anyways, 200-6086 is the Sega part number. The pictures on that site don't help.....much. By looking at the form factor I came across this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/172072609984 --The cheapest working used units on Ebay. There are new units for much more.

It's an ELO Touchscreen. It's branded a few different ways but the model number is ET1515L. It sometimes says Tyco Electronics but the model number is the same.

adz1qf.jpg
Awesome! I'm totally getting one eventually. Thanks for the info.

How to plug this touchscreen on the Lindbergh ?

Ok guys. Got my first touch screen in. It's the model pictured above. It works great! I also have another one coming in that's black. It's the same base model but a different frame shape.

To hook it up you need a VGA cable, A VGA 2 DVI adapter, and a DB9 male to female serial cable. You need to plug the VGA cable into the top slot of the video card using the DVI adapter unless you have a DVI monitor cable already. Then you need to plug the male end of the serial cable to the touch screen and the female end into the Com 1 port on the Lindbergh.

Once the other monitor comes in I plan to make a video with all of this information also. I'm curious if the same type of screen was used for some other systems. Though I'm not real sure what other games used a touch screen.

Ok guys. Got my first touch screen in. It's the model pictured above. It works great! I also have another one coming in that's black. It's the same base model but a different frame shape.

To hook it up you need a VGA cable, A VGA 2 DVI adapter, and a DB9 male to female serial cable. You need to plug the VGA cable into the top slot of the video card using the DVI adapter unless you have a DVI monitor cable already. Then you need to plug the male end of the serial cable to the touch screen and the female end into the Com 1 port on the Lindbergh.

Once the other monitor comes in I plan to make a video with all of this information also. I'm curious if the same type of screen was used for some other systems. Though I'm not real sure what other games used a touch screen.
AWESOME!!! When you get to it, can you share info on the serial cable? I think there tends to be some variety such as ones that aren't fully populated, ones that swap pins from one side to the other (TX to RX/ RX to TX), maybe some are straight through.

Pretty sure its just straight through. It's a cable I picked up at the pawn shop yesterday.

I received and tested a new model screen. I decided to split the touchscreen info into it's own thread since it's buried here in my S-JIHP thread. It will be easier for everyone to find it in it's own thread. Pics of the new screen in use can be found in that thread. Here it is:

Touchscreens for use with Lindbergh and Primeval Hunt

Hi, wondering if someone can answer this please.

Is it possible to play the Lindbergh gun games by connecting either a PS3 controller/Xbox360 controller into an Undamned USB Decoder, which then connects into the S-JIHP which then connects to the JVS IO ?

I'm asking as one of the videos I saw describes the positional guns essentially as analogue devices. If they would not work would a PC flight stick be an option?

Thanks

Is it possible to play the Lindbergh gun games by connecting either a PS3 controller/Xbox360 controller into an Undamned USB Decoder, which then connects into the S-JIHP which then connects to the JVS IO ?
Nope, not possible.

A PC flight stick could work. You need one that has potentiometers inside that can be wired as voltage dividers, which is how the arcade stuff works. However, there's a huge issue with this, as the movement of the stick in relation to what's happening on the screen is probably different to what you imagine it to be. In neutral the gun is pointing to the middle of the screen. Push the stick forward and the gun moves down (or up). Let go of the stick and the gun snaps back to the middle. It is very difficult to keep the gun centered on the enemy especially in games that don't have visible crosshairs.

Back