What's new
S

Stegrey

I had a R-type MT conversion board a while back that i sold on and since regret..
I have a non working MT pcb here would it be worth paying to have repaired and converted or would it be cheaper to just buy a converted worker?
Sorry if i have posted in the wrong section

Attachments

• Screenshot_2018-11-16-15-45-20.png
    Screenshot_2018-11-16-15-45-20.png
    510 KB · Views: 154
Last edited by a moderator:
Generally it's not worth sending a board to a pro repairer unless it's a valuable game.
At $50 per hour of labour (average number for any skilled technician thrown here) it can quickly overcome the value of the board.

But if you can find a hobbyist not counting his time it might be worth it but not always. For instance repairer Womble in Oz ask AU$175 flat rate for a repair:

https://www.aussiearcade.com/showth...rd-Probaby?s=fe939ebdf0b56a861a31c4e63f0eb6ac

Womble said:
$175 flat repair fee for JAMMA / Capcom Classic / Sega System 16 pinout boards, plus return postage, on a no-fix-no-fee basis.
That's more than the cost of a working MT board, and you have to add shipping on top of that.

cheers for the reply.. most the guys on vac i speak to lately seem to have too many boards in the repair pile
I guess the conversion cost is expensive also?

ive added a pic of the pcb.. does anyone know why this had white lines painted under the chips?
( i know the audio chip is missing as it was used to repair a board that got damaged in the post)

50$ for an hour of labour or 175$ flat rate?These are pure robbery IMHO.Personally I charge in average 50-60$ regardless to the time I spent on the board, it can be from one week to several months.And no fees are applied if I fail.

Last edited:
50$ for an hour of labour or 175$ flat rate?These are pure robbery IMHO.Personally I charge in average 50-60$ regardless to the time I spent on the board, it can be from one week to several months.And no fees are applied if I fail.
$50/hour is fair for someone who runs an official business and has to pay tax. I don't know for all countries but in France or in NZ, once you've deducted company tax and personal income tax there's less than $25 left. And you still have to pay for electricity, rent of your workshop etc.
In your case it's black money, but still I agree you rate is low.
And people still have to pay shipping, that's probably an other 40€ (20€ each way) for someone in Europe, and 70/80€ for someone in the US.

That is clearly working out of passion for hobby though or different wages structure in different area. Here working one full day on a board for $50-60 is well below minimum wage require by law for any nothing job with no special skill set or tools required. Any technician job in any field with electronics soldering and troubleshooting will absolutely pay over minimum wage or search for people indefinitely. Here jobs like mechanic to fix car are - local shop $80+/hr to dealer $110+/hr, etc. Doesn't change if your whole car is only worth $300. Also doesn't mean that you can't find someone passionate about cars to help fix yours for less in their time but that's because they like doing it and certainly not the norm.

$50/hour is fair for someone who runs an official business and has to pay tax. I don't know for all countries but in France or in NZ, once you've deducted company tax and personal income tax there's less than $25 left. And you still have to pay for electricity, rent of your workshop etc.In your case it's black money, but still I agree you rate is low.
And people still have to pay shipping, that's probably an other 40€ (20€ each way) for someone in Europe, and 70/80€ for someone in the US.
Obviously mine is not an officail business but only an hobby I carry on in my spare time.Lately I'm doing few repairs giving priority to engineering and researching.

What's the MT pcb actually doing when you fire it up currently? I guess the severity of the fault will give you a call on whether it's worth replacing or working with.
I have an identical one, converted to R-Type 1 that's working at times, glitching at others. So I know it's just a dryjoint or a connection somewhere, but finding it across the boards when both are plugged in together and running is the most time consuming thing ever.

Back